Newcastle United 3 - 1 Plymouth Argyle - 19/09/09 - post match reaction from p12

Nate

Saw the goals before on telly (sitting in the Gallowgate gave me a fairly poor view of the first one) and the amount of space Taylor has to stoop and score is obscene. It's said time and time again but the gap in quality is ocean wide between this standard and the Premier League.

I was in the Gallowgate (upper) and although I could hardly see either, it was quite obvious that he had loads of space to get the header in.

Saw the goals before on telly (sitting in the Gallowgate gave me a fairly poor view of the first one) and the amount of space Taylor has to stoop and score is obscene. It's said time and time again but the gap in quality is ocean wide between this standard and the Premier League.

It was laughable.  It's hardly a secret that Taylor runs to the far post at corners, he's been doing it for a few years now and you'd assume that defending set pieces would be part of their match preparation yet they missed Taylor then and could have easily conceded more from the same position as they failed to pick up Taylor's runs time after time.

They were there for the taking yesterday and if we'd pushed on more after going 1 up we'd have demolished them.

At home the last 20 to 25 minutes will be crucial this season. I thought that Hughton got it spot on yesterday; he matched them 4 5 1 till they were ready for the taking and made good substitutions resulting in the win.

We'll have to put up with the fact that if we're daft enough to atttack, attack, attack many of the admittedly lower-standard teams will do us on the counter at SJP, particularly when they're as up as Argyle were yesterday.

Slightly below-par performance but very good tactical nous results in three points.

At home the last 20 to 25 minutes will be crucial this season. I thought that Hughton got it spot on yesterday; he matched them 4 5 1 till they were ready for the taking and made good substitutions resulting in the win.

We'll have to put up with the fact that if we're daft enough to atttack, attack, attack many of the admittedly lower-standard teams will do us on the counter at SJP, particularly when they're as up as Argyle were yesterday.

Slightly below-par performance but very good tactical nous results in three points.

You must be joking.

There's nothing 'very good' about playing one up front against the worst side in the division. 

No. It was a very below-par performance, with shit tactical nous as the formation up top was woeful, that was rescued by Hughton finally realising that 4-4-2 > 4-5-1 at home.

Even Bobby Moncur mentioned Colo as motm behind Carroll, he looked a touch of class yesterday

So he should for what we are paying him.

Genuine question Ronaldo, what is it with Colocinni that makes you rate him so highly? I agree yesterday thought he was the better of the two central defenders, just you defend him to the hilt, even last year when he was absolute rubbish for a lot of the time.

I don't particularly rate him as highly as you might think, but I think he's a lot better than the general opinion. I just see him as a good defender who'll do an excellent job in this league and hopefully learn from last season.

No. It was a very below-par performance, with s*** tactical nous as the formation up top was woeful, that was rescued by Hughton finally realising that 4-4-2 > 4-5-1 at home.

My immediate thoughts were that we're better suited to 4-4-2; on reflection I admire Hughton's pragmatism and timely substitutions which resulted in the win.

You'd think the 4-5-1 would protect the defence but it doesn't, it just means we tend to lose the ball an awful lot in the final third and end up with more defending to do

What I also can't understand is how deep we manage to sit and at the same time how little decent protection the back four get.

No. It was a very below-par performance, with s*** tactical nous as the formation up top was woeful, that was rescued by Hughton finally realising that 4-4-2 > 4-5-1 at home.

My immediate thoughts were that we're better suited to 4-4-2; on reflection I admire Hughton's pragmatism and timely substitutions which resulted in the win.

If only he'd shown some on Wednesday night, when he got it wrong from start to finish.

He is playing 4-4-1-1 purely so he can acomidate his"big players", Hughton needs to grow a pair and pick a balanced side, with our inform players.

Agree. I'm not part of the Ranger wankwagon but I think at the moment, he should partner Carroll. I agree that Lovenkrands is better as a striker but we have literally no-one else for the left hand side without wasting a central midfielder out there.

He is playing 4-4-1-1 purely so he can acomidate his"big players", Hughton needs to grow a pair and pick a balanced side, with our inform players.

Agree. I'm not part of the Ranger wankwagon but I think at the moment, he should partner Carroll. I agree that Lovenkrands is better as a striker but we have literally no-one else for the left hand side without wasting a central midfielder out there.

Agree 100%. Shouldn't be that fucking difficult.

He made three changes from the team beaten by Blackpool; this included dropping Butt. Which big players is he accommodating?

He made three changes from the team beaten by Blackpool; this included dropping Butt. Which big players is he accommodating?

Nolan.

Nolan.

He could play 4-4-2 and accommodate Nolan. What he did was play 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 (imo it was 4-5-1) for 60 minutes and then made the changes that got the win; can't see much wrong with that.

Nolan.

He could play 4-4-2 and accommodate Nolan. What he did was play 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 (imo it was 4-5-1) for 60 minutes and then made the changes that got the win; can't see much wrong with that.

And why did he play 4-5-1? To accomodate 'senior pro' Kev, opposed to starting a proper striker in Ranger and going 4-4-2 from the outset.