Newcastle United 3 - 1 Plymouth Argyle - 19/09/09 - post match reaction from p12

Nate

Guest toonlass

Harper  6 - not much asked of him

Simpson  6 - solid enough

S Taylor  7 - solid & scored

Coloccini  7- sensible performance and kept it simple

Enrique  6 - solid enough

Geremi  5 - Shot instead of passed, high, wide and hopeless. I was pleased when Ryan Taylor came on and Geremi was not the automatic choice for free kicks/corners.

Smith  6 - Does the captains role well, keeps the lads going, went in hard a couple of times, but a stable performance.

Barton  5 - poor

Lovenkrands  6 - not sure where he was supposed to be playing but we need to play him upfront in a 4-4-2 to see the same player as last year.

Nolan  5.5 - Didn't do a great deal, got a goal but Ryan Taylor had done the hard bit, need more from him.

Carroll 7.5 - Worked hard, shouldn't have been up there alone, looks strong and deserved that goal.

Guthrie  7 - He and Ranger came on and the game changed for the best. Made the 3rd goal.

R Taylor  6 - Did a solid enough job, made Nolan's goal for him

Ranger  6.5 - Canny job from the lad, hasn't scored yet, but he worked hard, held the ball up and played some nice balls. Him and Guthrie should start on Tuesday.

Am pleased that Butt didn't start but am not happy at 4-5-1 at home against Plymouth, a 4-4-2 would have been so much better and took the pressure off Carroll. Lovenkrands shouldn't be played anywhere but up front. Ranger has touches of class, Guthrie is better than Barton. We made things difficult for ourselves after the first goal by taking our foot off the pedal, but had the strength  to finish it off, but only after Ranger and Guthrie came on.

Guest neesy111

from bbc's text service

From Ron Hope, a tired Plymouth fan travelling back from Newcastle, via text on 81111: "A 600-mile round-trip to Newcastle. Disappointing result but what a great ground and great fans Newcastle are."

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I must admit there was times today I thought 'that would have been a goal im the prem' Enrique's dicking about at the gallowgat springs to mind.

We need to play two up top mind, with just carroll up its obvious what were doing.

from bbc's text service

From Ron Hope, a tired Plymouth fan travelling back from Newcastle, via text on 81111: "A 600-mile round-trip to Newcastle. Disappointing result but what a great ground and great fans Newcastle are."

:clap: :clap: :clap:

The fans weren't very good today to be honest, so that bloke must have low expectations.  Even the Toon Ultras gave up a bit in the second half (not having a go!), and the whole place was quiet.

Our fans were awful when they were singing about how poor Plymouth fans were

Plymouth fans were terrible though, I know it's a massive journey and all that but they were silent until their goal, then gave up again after 2-1.

Thought Carroll was utter shite personally until Ranger came on. Once he had a strike partner he moved more, seemed freer and looked the part.

In short, Ranger must start up front with him next week.

like them as a pair, i think we would win plenty games with them.

Plymouth fans were terrible though, I know it's a massive journey and all that but they were silent until their goal, then gave up again after 2-1.

Not really

Not really

How not really?  They hardly sang all game.

Not really

Supporting a team is all about singing?

I thought they were fairly vocal anyway

Not really

This.

First 10/15 mins we were loud, they didnt even sing.  However our fans kinda dozed off up in L7 after the first 35minutes, but then again, can you blame us...the football was attrocious.  Woke up after we went 1-1. Both sets of fans.  However after 15minutes they sat back down again and didn't sing for the rest of the game.

Harper - 6, made routine saves where needed and one quite good one from Sawyer, but stays on a six because his kicking was shite and he slowed down every counter by holding the ball for fucking ages

Simpson - 6, fine until injury

S.Taylor - 7, needs to stop running up field with the ball as often because his touch is bloody woeful and he ends up losing it all the time. Defended well today and of course grabbed a very good goal.

Coloccini 7, had a very good game today, loads of headers won and excellent defending one-on-one. Looks more and more the part with each game

Enrique 6, bit shaky, gave the ball away to the Plymouth players an awful lot. Not really to blame for the goal as it was three on two, defending one-on-one was good for the most part but as usual his passing of the ball over short distances was a bit suspect

Geremi 5.5, full of shit. Too slow, crosses hit the keeper every frigging time (apart from the corner for Taylor's goal). Would like to think LuaLua might have replaced him if we hadn't used up a sub for Simpsons injury. Not fit enough for 90 minutes

Nolan 5.5, really really bad despite his goal, looked shit up front with Carroll and is still too fucking podgy and slow. Still hides from the ball a lot when the crowd voice their displeasure, and as usual stopped running soon after the hour

Smith 6, not as effective today, had a good (most of) second half but for the rest was either non-existant or shit when making the occasional touch or tackle. A decent enough performance to keep Butt out of the side though (hopefully)

Lovenkrands 6, looked lost out on the wing, didn't do too badly considering his first start and not totally fit yet. Some nice touches and a couple of shots but wasn't involved much and was correctly replaced on the hour mark

Barton 5, not very good today and sloped off quite fast when subbed. Too sluggish when on the ball, doesn't seem to really give a fuck. Shame, because he's good enough to boss this division

Carroll 7, won a few good headers when partnered by Nolan and ran around a lot. Looked very good when Ranger partnered him at the end, scored the goal with a cracking finish and glanced a header over. That shot at the end was really skillfull and he was unlucky that it smashed off the bar

SUBS:

Ryan Taylor 7, had an excellent game imo, some cracking tackles and good passing. Looks more at home at right-back than he does further forwards

Guthrie 5.5, got an assist for Nolan's goal but was otherwise shocking, very poor passing

Ranger 6.5, won loads of free kicks and forced a couple of corners purely from using his strength. Looks a real prospect, another fast and good cameo

Guest toonlass

I thought Guthrie crossed for Nolan? In fact I've just seen the goal on SSN, and it was definitely Guthrie.

Also the 3rd goal was a big lump from Harper that Ranger challenged for and it fell to Carroll. Nothing to do with Guthrie  ???

Sorry, were right, it was Guthrie for the second goal, not Taylor. All I knew from my viewpoint in Level 7 was that it was some lad for some other lad, thought it was Ryan Taylor. Christ knows what I was talking about for the third goal. Just ignore me.

Was a shocker, boring game no atmosphere, stupid starting 11, Barton is a fkn disgrace to the shirt, the 2 subs changed it, Guthrie should replace Barton in the starting 11 and Ranger MUST start games.

Simpson injury in a blow, he gives his al and is a very decent player, hope he is okay.