Ipswich vs Newcastle United - Pre-Match thread - 26/09/09, 5:30 KO, Live on BBC2

Ash

Guest Haris Vuckic

The players are wearing special commemorative shirts that will be sold at auction and newcastle-ipswich 50-50 scarves are for sale  :coolsmiley:

The players are wearing special commemorative shirts that will be sold at auction and newcastle-ipswich 50-50 scarves are for sale   :coolsmiley:

Cheers fella, is there a min applause/silence do you know?

Reckon it'll be a corking atmosphere at this one.

Nolan on the wing is too easy to defend against. Just tuck the full backs in and you've got a solid tight back four with nowt to worry about down the flanks. It's much easier to defend what's in front of you, like long balls or crosses coming from deep. We need to get in behind defences and then we'll pose a much bigger goal threat.

Flip side of that is putting Lovenkrands out wide and having a lack of movement up front. A lack of movement off the ball up front makes it hard to service the strikers, espescially when our midfielders don't have the gas to get forward! If noone is making the runs it's hard to create chances.

It's a tough one.

This is exactly why we need Harewood (or A.N. other) in as soon as possible. We have almost no options and we're becoming very predictable. Let's hope if he does come that he hasn't lost any pace from injuries. We saw the way Luque was when he arrived, some players lose yards of pace from an injury.

Personally I'd have Lovenkrands up front seeing as we're away. His pace might make their back line think twice about coming forward and should give our midfielders some breathing space. I think Guthrie is another big loss, he's one of the few who looks composed on the ball and actually gets forward.

...................Harper....................

Raylor.....Taylor..Colo....Enrique

...................Smith......................

.............Barton..Nolan................

Ranger.............................Loven

..................Carroll......................

If we go long then Carroll's got Loven and Ranger to flick on to on back to an advancing Nolan. If we play a bit then Barton can look for passes into the channels for Ranger and Loven with Carroll in the box and Nolan getting there late.

They need to get their act together. Blackpool horror show was followed by a sh*te performance although a good result, another appalling performance last night. You musn't let the momentum fall away Hughton.

They have Leadbitter who is a bit of quality and Edwards who has been hit and miss. We should win this, they look truly horrendous at the back.

I'm going, looking forward to it, and my record is one win and one draw so far this season. :smug:

I'd have:

Harper

RTaylor   Colo   Taylor   Enrique

Smith   Geremi

Nolan

Ranger   Lovenkrands

Carroll

Tempted to put Barton in instead of Nolan, but he's shite and Nolan's been contributing goals so far.

-----------------------------Harper-----------------------------

Colo-------------STaylor--------------Zurab------------Enrique

RTaylor----------Barton----------------Smith----------McLoven

------------------Ranger--------------Carroll--------------------

If history of hughtons sides are to go by, this will not be what he goes for! He will for sure put Nolan in the side, perhaps in the place of Ranger and play him just behind Carroll.

I think we would win with the side I have chosen though. Colo at RB is based on Simpsons likelihood of being injured for this game and I think he is more versatile than STaylor. I haven't actually seen Lovenkrands on the left wing this season, but going by what others have said on this forum it is the wrong decision to put him there. However, we need pace on the wings and good delivery for Ranger and Carroll - he offers us pace, RTaylor offers us good (this season more than last) delivery!

It will be:

Harper

Taylor/Simpson  Colo  Taylor Enrique

Geremi   Smith   Butt    Loven

Nolan

Carroll

It will be:

Harper

Taylor/Simpson  Colo  Taylor Enrique

Geremi   Smith   Butt    Loven

Nolan

Carroll

I think its going to be that as well and that means a loss to me.

Guest sicko2ndbest

GK - Harper

RB - S.Taylor

LB - Enrique

CB - Khizanishvili

CB - Coloccini

RM - R.Taylor

LM - Geremi

CM - Smith

CM - Nolan

CF - Lovenkrands

CF - Carroll