Ipswich Town 0 - 4 Newcastle United - 26/09/09 - post match reaction from p24

Dave

ATM I cant remember the few games of early August 1998 (more than 10 years ago now ffs) that KD was in charge  but I do recall when he first signed Gary Speed he was not tucked into a diamond but very much out on the left. Regarding Diddi again I cant recall his games under KD but under Ruud he was a lot more offensive than anything that I ever saw him at Liverpool.

Nonsense - Hamman hated Gullit ; it was because they didn't get on and that the Board was, to quote

Hamman, 'Average, therefore the club was average', that Hamman left.

Also, people should remember that Dalglish was NOT given the financial free reign that Keegan had in his first Premiership years ; the club became a PLC and had to stick to a budget for team strengthening - that was the reason Keegan quit, he knew he wouldn't be able to spend money in the same way as he had before. Don't forget that NUFC were lying 6th in the Prem when KK went, Dalglish managed to get the side to finish second against all the odds. His bust up with the Board was what did for him, nothing else.

He was unlucky with injuries, esp to Shearer because Tomasson had looked great alongside Al in the pre-season games - the injury ruined what could have been a great career for JDT because he was obliged to play CF and he was NEVER that.

That he was a good player was proven at Milan later....

Good point Merlin..... That board got it wrong by sacking Dalglish but it took me a while to relize that. His team were not dazzlers but he was puting the foundation thats why we get the benfit of enjoying Given Speed and Solano for years to come... Yes he got some players wrong but they were bought chaply and he deserve to stay on at least another full season.....

ATM I cant remember the few games of early August 1998 (more than 10 years ago now ffs) that KD was in charge  but I do recall when he first signed Gary Speed he was not tucked into a diamond but very much out on the left. Regarding Diddi again I cant recall his games under KD but under Ruud he was a lot more offensive than anything that I ever saw him at Liverpool.

Nonsense - Hamman hated Gullit ; it was because they didn't get on and that the Board was, to quote

Also, people should remember that Dalglish was NOT given the financial free reign that Keegan had in his first Premiership years ; the club became a PLC and had to stick to a budget for team strengthening - that was the reason Keegan quit, he knew he wouldn't be able to spend money in the same way as he had before. Don't forget that NUFC were lying 6th in the Prem when KK went, Dalglish managed to get the side to finish second against all the odds. His bust up with the Board was what did for him, nothing else.

He was unlucky with injuries, esp to Shearer because Tomasson had looked great alongside Al in the pre-season games - the injury ruined what could have been a great career for JDT because he was obliged to play CF and he was NEVER that.

Dalglish didn't need to spend big money because he had been left a very good squad by Keegan so major investment wasn't really needed. This was borne out by Dalglish acheiving 2nd place with Keegans players. His results started to go downhill the longer time he had to shape the squad in his way. I'm pretty sure the same happened at Liverpool after he took over from Paisely, i.e. short term success followed by diminishing returns.

Dalglish didn't need to spend big money because he had been left a very good squad by Keegan so major investment wasn't really needed. This was borne out by Dalglish acheiving 2nd place with Keegans players. His results started to go downhill the longer time he had to shape the squad in his way. I'm pretty sure the same happened at Liverpool after he took over from Paisely, i.e. short term success followed by diminishing returns.

the squad he inherited was a good one but needed updating with albert and ferdinand increasingly out injured. ginola and gillespie looking shadows of there former selves for months. ginola showing signs of wanting to be away.

when he left liverpool they were the  current league champs and had won 3 titles in his 5 yeras according to wiki.

the squad he inherited was a good one but needed updating with albert and ferdinand increasingly out injured. ginola and gillespie looking shadows of there former selves for months. ginola showing signs of wanting to be away.

when he left liverpool they were the  current league champs and had won 3 titles in his 5 yeras according to wiki.

Liverpool were still winning under Dalglish, but then Souness probably won stuff as well but to me there was a definite hint of decline setting in at the end of Dalgish's time there. If Dalglish needed to rebuild Keegan's squad (which had just finished runners up) then he didn't do a great job    of replacing the players he sold. Gary Speed on the left wing was no replacement for Ginola, Des Hamilton on the right was no replacement for Gillhespie. Obviously JDT wasn't exactly a successful replacement for Sir Les either as things turned out.

Liverpool were still winning under Dalglish, but then Souness probably won stuff as well but to me there was a definite hint of decline setting in at the end of Dalgish's time there. If Dalglish needed to rebuild Keegan's squad (which had just finished runners up) then he didn't do a great job     of replacing the players he sold. Gary Speed on the left wing was no replacement for Ginola, Des Hamilton on the right was no replacement for Gillhespie. Obviously JDT wasn't exactly a successful replacement for Sir Les either as things turned out.

the whole thing spins round what you thought the plan was. in my mind JDT was to play at the front of a diamond. he was never meant to play up front.

anyone feel a sense of deja vu ?

What are you on about? Hamman played most of games under Ruud while at Newcastle there is no denying that. He was more offensive than he was a Liverpool at Newcastle, check out his goal ratio on Tyneside compared to Merseyside I am sure created a few as well but cant get my hand on the stats.

You seem slightly muddled did he leave because of Ruud or the board?

Seems to me like most players at NUFC at time he had a problem with Ruud.

You don't really think that far ahead as a footballer. When I went to Newcastle, I signed for five years but it was pretty clear after a few weeks when Kenny [Dalglish] was sacked that I wouldn't be there for five years.

http://www.noticias.info/Archivo/2006/200603/20060307/20060307_151785.shtm

Be nice if you could get some quotes with links  :thup:

Liverpool were still winning under Dalglish, but then Souness probably won stuff as well but to me there was a definite hint of decline setting in at the end of Dalgish's time there. If Dalglish needed to rebuild Keegan's squad (which had just finished runners up) then he didn't do a great job     of replacing the players he sold. Gary Speed on the left wing was no replacement for Ginola, Des Hamilton on the right was no replacement for Gillhespie. Obviously JDT wasn't exactly a successful replacement for Sir Les either as things turned out.

the whole thing spins round what you thought the plan was. in my mind JDT was to play at the front of a diamond. he was never meant to play up front.

If JDT was never meant to play up front, then Dalglish should have bought someone else to play up front. The first team that we put out for most of that season was toothless and poorly balanced, and for that Dalglish has to take a lot of the blame.

If JDT was never meant to play up front, then Dalglish should have bought someone else to play up front. The first team that we put out for most of that season was toothless and poorly balanced, and for that Dalglish has to take a lot of the blame.

JDT was bought at a time when both shearer and asprilla were fit. he could probably have played alongside one of them but for a large part of the season both were out.

JDT was bought at a time when both shearer and asprilla were fit. he could probably have played alongside one of them but for a large part of the season both were out.

Does that mean we only had two front line strikers in the squad? I can remember Andreas Andersson being particularly shit, was he around during that period?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Roy keane has been given a vote of confidence.

i think it means he has 3 weeks left before he is sacked.

No great loss to the world of football

• 2 weeks later...
Guest prestonj1989

Does anyone know if they have auctioned the shirts off from this yet. I saw Ipswich have sold some of theirs. The Pablo Counago one went for over £2000.

Dunno but I ordered one of the half and half scarves from the Ipswich site.

You do know they've been selling them at SJP for 3 weeks?

Guest toonlass

No I didn't but then again, SJP and .cock aren't very clear with their marketing are they?

No I didn't but then again, SJP and .cock aren't very clear with their marketing are they?

Suppose. I asked if they were going on the website when I was in there. Their answer was "if we can't shift them from in here".

Guest toonlass

Suppose. I asked if they were going on the website when I was in there. Their answer was "if we can't shift them from in here".

Ah well its ordered now, and the Bobby Robson foundation ends up with the money, and Fat Mike doesn't end up with a penny for it,  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Was in the shop at SJP this weekend and noticed the shirts were 50 notes, does that £50 go straight to the SBR foundation or does fat mike take his cut, too?

Well I assume the costs for making and supplying the shirt will be taken from that cost, and the profits go to SBR foundation. You can't expect them to make a loss.

Was in the shop at SJP this weekend and noticed the shirts were 50 notes, does that £50 go straight to the SBR foundation or does fat mike take his cut, too?

Well I assume the costs for making and supplying the shirt will be taken from that cost, and the profits go to SBR foundation. You can't expect them to make a loss.

15% of the costs go to the charity, which means £42.50 goes to the club.