Newcastle United 1 - 1 QPR - 30/09/09 - post match reaction from page 19

Dave

the singing sections endless renditions of "your support is f***ing s***" is as pathetic as it is embarrassing.

I was getting sick of this last night like. Far too many rounds of "get out of our club" including once when we were taking a freekick and once when we'd just won a corner (both when 1-0 down). I wish more of our fans would join in with positive songs.

Thought QPR played a good game and we were unlucky not to concede more early on when they piled the pressure on. We had no shape in the first half and I was pleased Hughton had the balls to make the obvious sub - had a horrible feeling at half time that he was going to persist with Butt.

It seems they only have a reportoire of 2 or 3 boring songs which they repeat over and over, it's no wonder the rest of the crowd can't be bothered to join in.

And one of their only songs has the audacity to tell away fans their "support is s***"  :idiot2:

How many songs have you come up for the toon? How many songs did you start in St James last night?

Great question !

First of all I applaud the singing section and those who want to create an atmosphere, it's just that it's all become very limited, repetitive and boring recently.

To answer your queston A) Lots. B) None.

As a "veteran" of the Leazes End in the 60s and 70s I was lucky enough to enjoy what was probably the best atmosphere SJP ever had. For the big games (including Fairs Cup 60,000 sell outs) there'd be 18,000 packed into the Leazes, all standing under a tin roof, it was deafening and amazing fun to be part of.

Everyone sang in that end and the chants were inspirational, often very witty and topical. My favourite was probably "you'll never walk alone" with scarves held aloft - before Liverpool put a copyright on it.

The chanting was only in the Leazes End - other parts of the ground seldom joined in, although the posh season ticket holders in the old main stand would bang their feet on the wooden floors when they got excited. There was also quite a bit of "aggro" in the Leazes back then between rival gangs from different parts of the city.

I suppose the Gallowgate corner and scoreboard took over when the Leazes end was destroyed (sacrilege) and as the stadium developed it became more normal for the whole ground to join in when things were going well.

The modern day L7 singers should provide the spark which gets the rest (even old timers) going, but they need to be a bit less boring and repetitive to really make it happen.

Good luck to them - they're probably enjoying themselves just as much as the previous generation of singers did.

Thats interesting about the gangs. as a kid, standing in the leazes corner, over the big entrance that led to the bogs, near the new stand.  i could never understand why it appered nufc fans were fighting amonst themselves+ police.

it was mental back then, and the atmosphere was cracking.

i experienced leazes as a kid, gallowgate after it was knocked down. the new L7 crowd is the best its been since the place went all seater.

Guest toonlass

the singing sections endless renditions of "your support is f***ing s***" is as pathetic as it is embarrassing.

I was getting sick of this last night like. Far too many rounds of "get out of our club" including once when we were taking a freekick and once when we'd just won a corner (both when 1-0 down). I wish more of our fans would join in with positive songs.

Thought QPR played a good game and we were unlucky not to concede more early on when they piled the pressure on. We had no shape in the first half and I was pleased Hughton had the balls to make the obvious sub - had a horrible feeling at half time that he was going to persist with Butt.

It seems they only have a reportoire of 2 or 3 boring songs which they repeat over and over, it's no wonder the rest of the crowd can't be bothered to join in.

And one of their only songs has the audacity to tell away fans their "support is s***"  :idiot2:

How many songs have you come up for the toon? How many songs did you start in St James last night?

Great question !

First of all I applaud the singing section and those who want to create an atmosphere, it's just that it's all become very limited, repetitive and boring recently.

As a "veteran" of the Leazes End in the 60s and 70s I was lucky enough to enjoy what was probably the best atmosphere SJP ever had. For the big games (including Fairs Cup 60,000 sell outs) there'd be 18,000 packed into the Leazes, all standing under a tin roof, it was deafening and amazing fun to be part of.

Everyone sang in that end and the chants were inspirational, often very witty and topical. My favourite was probably "you'll never walk alone" with scarves held aloft - before Liverpool put a copyright on it.

The chanting was only in the Leazes End - other parts of the ground seldom joined in, although the posh season ticket holders in the old main stand would bang their feet on the wooden floors when they got excited. There was also quite a bit of "aggro" in the Leazes back then between rival gangs from different parts of the city.

I suppose the Gallowgate corner and scoreboard took over when the Leazes end was destroyed (sacrilege) and as the stadium developed it became more normal for the whole ground to join in when things were going well.

The modern day L7 singers should provide the spark which gets the rest (even old timers) going, but they need to be a bit less boring and repetitive to really make it happen.

Good luck to them - they're probably enjoying themselves just as much as the previous generation of singers did.

I am jealous of you for that. I wish I could have experienced it.

I love to hear St James Park on a really good match day. The last ones that really stand out in my mind as brilliant were the home game against Boro, and the game against Arsenal a couple of seasons ago, evening kick-off when we drew 1-1 and the crowd really were the 12th man, and roared the team on. However too many games grow stale and flat because we only tend to sing "Newcastle, Newcastle, Newcastle", N & a E & a W, C", "Geordie Boot Boys", "la, la, la Geordies", with the occassional airings of shite like "Your support is fucking shit" and the songs where we are claiming to hate sunderland.

We need to get more songs going, and the lads at the back of the Singing section really do try, with things like "Don't wanna go home", "This club is my club" and the Discoland tune, but unless other people join in then nowt new will catch on. More singing in the pubs and the concourses is what's needed tbh. And more singing from the other stands.

Guest Roger Kint

No if you could read its the old some people sing a retarded song for large periods of a game and people disagree with it rhetoric.

Nah, it's more like you know f*** all about what you're talking about rhetoric.

haha i love the attitude of the singing corner demi gods, 'we are better fans than all you so dont dare question what we sing' :idiot2:

No-one has said that the singing corner has better fans, except for you.

Yeah because this - 'How many songs have you come up for the toon? How many songs did you start in St James last night? ' sounds like someone who doesnt think they are better does it? Its sad you cant see what i meant in my post and chose to take it too literally but never mind.

No if you could read its the old some people sing a retarded song for large periods of a game and people disagree with it rhetoric.

haha i love the attitude of the singing corner demi gods, 'we are better fans than all you so dont dare question what we sing' :idiot2:

Show me where in any post is that said? Like I said, you obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about. Maybe if you had a ST in L7 you could have a valid opinion, otherwise you're just making stuff up and making up your own conclusions based on nothing.

people just acnt keep a song going these days, im sure the oldies will agree, back in the day they would go on for ages , ten times longer than now. Remember being in goodison, 4-0 down, we sang howay the lads for about 20mins, maybe more.

Guest toonlass

Yeah because this - 'How many songs have you come up for the toon? How many songs did you start in St James last night? ' sounds like someone who doesnt think they are better does it? Its sad you cant see what i meant in my post and chose to take it too literally but never mind.

Why not stop whining on and start singing at the games, and getting the people around you to sing too. Then you won't have to listen to the other end of the ground having to do the singing then.

Guest Roger Kint

people just acnt keep a song going these days, im sure the oldies will agree, back in the day they would go on for ages , ten times longer than now. Remember being in goodison, 4-0 down, we sang howay the lads for about 20mins, maybe more.

To be honest its a rare occurance to have a good atmosphere save for a one off game since the stadium went from 36k. Like you say in the past it was the norm whereas now we are scratching our heads to think of anything even close since that Barca game

To be honest its a rare occurance to have a good atmosphere save for a one off game since the stadium went from 36k. Like you say in the past it was the norm whereas now we are scratching our heads to think of anything even close since that Barca game

And yet, you have a chance to remedy this problem but choose not to.  :facepalm:

Guest Roger Kint

Why not stop whining on and start singing at the games, and getting the people around you to sing too. Then you won't have to listen to the other end of the ground having to do the singing then.

As i have tried to explai to you the only song i really heard was 'your support' which i posted my thoughts on. Obviously this has become a long boring saga since as some cant accept that. I couldnt give a shit how you spend the rest of your matchday tbh.

Guest Roger Kint

And yet, you have a chance to remedy this problem but choose not to.  :facepalm:

Myself and the guy next to me tried for parts of last night. Its never going to work, you may think its wonderfully simple to get 39k singing just by raising your arse but its not.

Myself and the guy next to me tried for parts of last night. Its never going to work, you may think its wonderfully simple to get 39k singing just by raising your arse but its not.

With the attitude you've got on here I highly doubt you even tried.

Guest Roger Kint

Of course i didnt, hell i didnt even go, i sat here with many others listening on the radio and chose to pick a fight with somebody over a subject i read on here. I also didnt get drunk before and after the game or actually type this out.

i was in l7 last night  and sang plenty...

incidently if anyone got stuck in queue,  blame Gimps lass, she got her handbag stuck in the turnstile. ;D

if ever there was an example of women at football matches :nope:

I wasn't having a go at you.  :razz: Just wor Roger.  :shifty:

ok, but its true tho, songs are climaxing too quicky, premature............

Great question !

Thats interesting about the gangs. as a kid, standing in the leazes corner, over the big entrance that led to the bogs, near the new stand.  i could never understand why it appered nufc fans were fighting amonst themselves+ police.it was mental back then, and the atmosphere was cracking.

i experienced leazes as a kid, gallowgate after it was knocked down. the new L7 crowd is the best its been since the place went all seater.

Looking back, it does seem very strange but at the time it was definitely part of the youth culture in the city. It was mostly skinhead gangs, SAB,DBAB,WAB,BLAB etc etc - I'm sure you know who they were ! 

You mention the police as well, their methods were certainly a bit more "primitive" back then.

That reminds me of one spontaneous chant about a member of the local constabulary known as "Fatty Williams" who was on match duty one afternoon, as he walked along the cinder track the whole Leazes End started singing "Fatty Williams is a b@stard" - he must have felt great. ;D

I agree, they are sung to fast as well.  The tempo is sometimes mental.

I agree, they are sung to fast as well.  The tempo is sometimes mental.

when i was thier age we could keep the fast/ slow hand clap going, now it becomes just clapping after about 10 seconds.

i thought we had a peacock from jesmond dean behind us last night,... turned out it was a kid shouting , get into them and fk them up. ;D

Great question !

I am jealous of you for that. I wish I could have experienced it.

I love to hear St James Park on a really good match day. The last ones that really stand out in my mind as brilliant were the home game against Boro, and the game against Arsenal a couple of seasons ago, evening kick-off when we drew 1-1 and the crowd really were the 12th man, and roared the team on. However too many games grow stale and flat because we only tend to sing "Newcastle, Newcastle, Newcastle", N & a E & a W, C", "Geordie Boot Boys", "la, la, la Geordies", with the occassional airings of s**** like "Your support is f***ing s***" and the songs where we are claiming to hate sunderland.

We need to get more songs going, and the lads at the back of the Singing section really do try, with things like "Don't wanna go home", "This club is my club" and the Discoland tune, but unless other people join in then nowt new will catch on. More singing in the pubs and the concourses is what's needed tbh. And more singing from the other stands.

Those games stand out for me too, along with one or two others.

It's a shame that they're the exception rather than the rule because everyone who is at those games enjoys it so much more and it becomes a real occasion which is talked about afterwards, whatever happens on the pitch.

LBAB.  :laugh: Still know a few lads who like to bang on about all that.

Btw I can't be arsed to check if I mentioned it earlier, but while I have criticised the song choice from L7 I am pleased that there are people starting songs, and just wish the rest of the ground would join in. It's almost an impossible task though, I sat in the Milburn from 2001 until this season and people just aren't interested in singing.

Even in the L7 singing section the old fella sat next to me never made a peep last night until we scored, then after celebrating he went back to making no noise.  :lol:

There were two rows of 'mutes' in front of us last night.  Got a few glances whilst I was making some noise as well.  CUNTS.

we need a new song... 'mutes out for the lads, get the mutes out for the lads'