Newcastle United 1 - 1 QPR - 30/09/09 - post match reaction from page 19

Dave

Guest toonlass

We have a haphazard roster, a wantaway owner and a caretaker manager.  Given all that, I'm glad to be top of the table by 3 points.

Who has a what now?

Guest Heneage

When we compare this to the blips our rivals have had Boro losing 2 from 3 and WBA loosing 2 in 2, I'm quite happy.

Guest Phil K

Poor performance, and it seemed homework was not done on QPR.

I had a feeling this would happen - always does when when stuff is set up for us like it was.

Still like the above, a point is better than none, and better than the 3 below us - remember, Preston got beat at home too)

Midfield was shocking, why play four centre midfielders all in the same team?

Can't get over how bad Guthrie was aswell, not just his penalty but he was shocking throughout.

Routledge looks like a world beater in this league, teared us apart at times.

Harewood needs to start against Bristol.

Think the 1-1 was just about fair tbh.

You said it was going to be 1 - 1 before the game, seems you were right!

Agree on the 4 centre midfielders thing.  It gives the illusion of having width but they don't use it.  If we were that fucked for wingers then I'd like to see us try 4-3-3 really.

I had a feeling this would happen - always does when when stuff is set up for us like it was.

Still like the above, a point is better than none, and better than the 3 below us - remember, Preston got beat at home too)

I'm glad we got the point.  I would have got rage if we had lost this one.  I remember reading you saying this game would be too perfect to win (and going 5 points clear!) and we will fuck it up, seems you were on the money sadly.

When other sides present us with a gift of a chance we don't take it. Story of our relegation really, and it seems old habits die hard.

Very winnable game coming up on the weekend though. We haven't lost at home, they haven't won away. A win would keep us top with the international break after that.

As with any run the most important thing is not losing so looking at the bigger picture this wasn't a terrible result. Harewood is already off the mark and that must be his first goal in absolutely ages so it should do a world of good for his confidence and maybe even take the pressure off him a bit. But it goes without saying that we need to be winning our home games and we have to make it 4 points from 6 on Saturday. If Gutierrez and Harewood are fit to start it could give the side a lot more going forward.

Win on Saturday and this doesn't look a bad result. Fail to win on Saturday and it's been a very bad week. Not often you get the chance to play two home games in four days.

Thought we were caught out with how well QPR played, their midfield we're quick and they worked hard, I was impressed with them.  We were sloppy at times last night but overall a 1-1 was a fair result.

Some of the mistakes reminded me of last seasons relegation, but we can put this all behind us again with another home game on sat.

Thought we were caught out with how well QPR played, their midfield we're quick and they worked hard, I was impressed with them.  We were sloppy at times last night but overall a 1-1 was a fair result.

Some of the mistakes reminded me of last seasons relegation, but we can put this all behind us again with another home game on sat.

I think that just puts into perspective how shit our midfield is in reality. We have dropped a division and we are still getting out-played by some teams. On the plus side we are picking up results regardless, so i suppose we are the equivalent of Stoke in this league.

Sitting in the corner of Gallowgate Jonas looked f***ing awful, thank god for Jose E. Some of Jonas passes were lazy, that standing on the ball bollocks while going nowhere was just s**** & it was the most lethargic I have seem him play for us. He had the odd decent touch that was about it.

We are a long ball team with cloggers.

looked like he was just pissing about trying to clever tricks, but forgot how to just make a simple pass....sums him up really.

Guest Phil K

Fair play to QPR though.

We knew they'd be the toughest yet, and so they were.

I'm glad we got the point.  I would have got rage if we had lost this one.  I remember reading you saying this game would be too perfect to win (and going 5 points clear!) and we will f*** it up, seems you were on the money sadly.

Thanks, mate. Too many on here pretend they never saw any such thing (this includes admin by the way)

Not too bad, extended our lead at the top this midweek although slightly frustrating that it could have been more. Only got to listen to the second half and it sounded like the teams were fairly even. Was the penalty a bad miss or a good save? Surprised people are questioning Guthrie taking it...he's taken and scored for us before (something no-one else in the team could say...) is our best set piece taker on a regular basis and has scored a couple of very nice goals this season. Did Nolan take them at Bolton when he was there?

Guest Roger Kint

Sitting in the corner of Gallowgate Jonas looked f***ing awful, thank god for Jose E. Some of Jonas passes were lazy, that standing on the ball bollocks while going nowhere was just s**** & it was the most lethargic I have seem him play for us. He had the odd decent touch that was about it.

We are a long ball team with cloggers.

looked like he was just pissing about trying to clever tricks, but forgot how to just make a simple pass....sums him up really.

I counted 5 times he tried a stupid showboat pass rather than just play the easy ball. Frustratingly flatters to decieve as per usual and looked every bit a man determined to remain 10% fit for his trip to South America next week.

On a sidenote, how were the QPR fans tonight?

quite good in the 1st half, quiet in the 2nd. very canny in the pub.

the singing sections endless renditions of "your support is f***ing s***" is as pathetic as it is embarrassing.

It really is.

It seems like they only have a couple of songs which they just repeat over and over again.

I'm all for a singing section and cranking up the atmosphere, but our juveniles could learn a lot from ManU etc.

They should be the "spark" that gets the rest of the ground going, but as long as their repertoire is so limited and embarrassing that is unlikely to happen.

As were Cardiff, Blackpool (by all accounts) and Sheff Wed to some degree. We're just not a good footballing side when we play certain players and certain tactics

I've got a feeling we're not a good footballing side whichever tactics or players we use. We have certain players who are "effective" at this level and we're top of the table so fuck it.

Guest Roger Kint

As were Cardiff, Blackpool (by all accounts) and Sheff Wed to some degree. We're just not a good footballing side when we play certain players and certain tactics

Blackpool pissed on us from a great height to be honest. In a lot of ways we have been very lucky in games and probably got what we deserved last night. Our team selection from the start gave them the platform to pass it about, Butt/Smith at home is disgraceful management imo

I thought Cardiff were at least as shit as us.

Ironically I thought it was the best football match we've been involved in all season - mainly due to the opposition. In the end a draw was a decent result.

If we take anything from it, it is that this league will NOT be a pushover and we will have to work hard and seriously to get out of it.

I couldn't subscribe to the pre-season wailings of "oh we'll go straight down again" and nor do I subsribe to the recent "promoted by Easter" sentiments. We're in for a long hard ride - but one that can be successful with good application.

QPR played much more like a "Premiership" side - confident on the ball and not overawed by the occassion.

When the league settles down I'm sure they'll be top 6 and in with a shout for promotion.