Newcastle United 1 - 1 QPR - 30/09/09 - post match reaction from page 19

Dave

Guest toonlass

the singing sections endless renditions of "your support is f***ing s***" is as pathetic as it is embarrassing.

I was getting sick of this last night like. Far too many rounds of "get out of our club" including once when we were taking a freekick and once when we'd just won a corner (both when 1-0 down). I wish more of our fans would join in with positive songs.

Thought QPR played a good game and we were unlucky not to concede more early on when they piled the pressure on. We had no shape in the first half and I was pleased Hughton had the balls to make the obvious sub - had a horrible feeling at half time that he was going to persist with Butt.

It seems they only have a reportoire of 2 or 3 boring songs which they repeat over and over, it's no wonder the rest of the crowd can't be bothered to join in.

And one of their only songs has the audacity to tell away fans their "support is s***"  :idiot2:

How many songs have you come up for the toon? How many songs did you start in St James last night?

His post doesnt say he did start any, in fact suggests the opposite, his silence(and mine like most others for large periods) doesnt make an excuse for the singing corners stupidity in song selection tbh.

And I am not saying that some knackas in the singing corner who sing "Your support is fucking shit" are doing the right thing, but there are too many people inside St James who sit on their hands, and won't open their gobs at the ground, but come onto sites like this one to complain. Why not start some clever, funny chants that will catch on so we don't have to listen to shite like "Your support is fucking shite", "we hate Sunderland" and the likes.

Guest Roger Kint

Am confused now, are you suggesting that we have no other songs than those embarassing ones? Wow what did we ever do before Ashley had to 'get out of our club'? Why make up new ones when there are lots to chose from? Its strange that 'your support....' was one of the very few audible from where i sat in the Gallowgate end suggesting either 'some knackers' account for most the singing section or the majority dont sing there :undecided:

Guest toonlass

Am confused now, are you suggesting that we have no other songs than those embarassing ones? Wow what did we ever do before Ashley had to 'get out of our club'? Why make up new ones when there are lots to chose from? Its strange that 'your support....' was one of the very few audible from where i sat in the Gallowgate end suggesting either 'some knackers' account for most the singing section or the majority dont sing there :undecided:

The only reason you can hear the singing corner from the Gallowgate is because you lot in other parts of the ground aren't bothering to sing. You want different songs sang, then start singing them and get the rest of the mute lot in the Gallowgate to join in. Without the singing corner and the actions of the young uns up there St James would be like a morgue.

Guest Roger Kint

The only reason you can hear the singing corner from the Gallowgate is because you lot in other parts of the ground aren't bothering to sing. You want different songs sang, then start singing them and get the rest of the mute lot in the Gallowgate to join in. Without the singing corner and the actions of the young uns up there St James would be like a morgue.

Ok lets ignore what i posted, clearly you have no interest in reading it.

Guest toonlass

Ok, lets answer your post then.

No I am not suggesting we have no other songs than those embarrassing ones. But the complaints are about the embarrassing ones, so why bring the other one's into the conversation?

What did we do before telling Ashley to get out of the club? Sang E-I-E-I-E-I-O I think.

I can't explain why "Your support is fucking shit" was more audible. Maybe the East Stand regulars had taking a break from tutting and unscrewing their flask lids? Or maybe the posh gits in the Milburn had gone for a half time prawn sandwich and some champers?

Ok lets ignore what i posted, clearly you have no interest in reading it.

Hughton got his tactics all wrong imo. We were far too narrow. When you've got two big lads like Ranger and Carroll upfront then a bit of width and some crosses into the box wouldnt have gone a miss. Whoever was playing on the left weather it was Butt or Smith ( I couldnt tell as both seemed to be playing centre mid) is never going to get many corsses in and niether does Guthrie, he seems to be wanting to cut inside more. If we're going to play narrow, direct and through the middle we might aswel have had Harewood and Lovenkrands upfront with a bit of pace. However this did change when Jonas came on, Enrique and jonas worked well down the left and we looked more dynamic and more of a threat.

Im pleased we do make noise in that singing corner. Alot of teams at home DONT sing at all. However as a fanbase we dont have a great repitoire of chants or songs. We didnt seem to make much noise last night and we were pretty much outsung, which we normally arn't. I dont especially like the "your support is fucking shit" chant tbh. We sing it at every team that comes here and it's lost its meaning. Especially considering the likes of Sheff wed's, Plymouths and QPR's support quite clearly isnt shit.  

Guest Roger Kint

Wonderful sarcasm. Quite what the East Stand/Posh gits have to do with what you and the singing section sing to away fans i dont know but i guess its as close to an answer as you will provide. As 'your support' was sung regularly from your section its clear it was the main source of noise rather than a fluke as you try to make out.

As for why bring other songs in. You claim its just some knackas singing it therefore the majority in your section arent(using your logic here) so why arent they heard over the minority who were singing for large parts of the match louder than anyone(bar the away lads)

YSIFS is a pathetic song to sing in the position we are in, we're like the school yard bully ffs.

That song should only be sung against half a dozen teams in the prem, and only when the situation calls for it.

Christ i'm getting old..

A 6 for Harewood and an 8 for Jonas? My f***ing word

Yup it was Jonas who changed the game for us. His attacking play was what made the difference. Not sure but it was his attack that led to Harewood goal (which all he had to do was toe it as he was about two yards out from goal.

Could you have seen us score before he came on?

My thoughts from last night...

Jonas - 8: My MOM. He is our best attacking player and clearly better than anything else we have got. He changed the game and caused all sorts of problems.

Seriously? Potentially the stupidest post in forum history :kinnear:

Hmm I think your reply might have just topped it

He made a big difference but only because there was actually nobody on the LW in the first half. Giving him an 8 and Harewood a 6 is madness though. Jonas was very wasteful at times and didn't merit 8 if Harewood only gets a 6 for easily being our best player when he came on.

And it was Simpson's cross for the goal

We were too narrow but bizarrely opened up through the middle countless times too.

I was screaming at Jonas to take his player on last night, when he did, he beat him with relative ease and we nearly scored.

In the end we should have won it, nice interplay between Enrique and Jonas freed up Enrique and he squared it into the side netting with Marlon Brando waiting in the middle ready to tap it in.

QPR were very good but for most of the first half, our midfield were at 6's and 7's positionally. Their fans were great too, not shit.

Guest Roger Kint

My thoughts from last night...

Jonas - 8: My MOM. He is our best attacking player and clearly better than anything else we have got. He changed the game and caused all sorts of problems.

Seriously? Potentially the stupidest post in forum history :kinnear:

Hmm I think your reply might have just topped it

The saddest thing is you actually believe that dont you? ;D

Guest Roger Kint

Ahh, the old "I don't sit/stand in the singing area so I'll call it s***" rhetoric.

Lovely stuff.

No if you could read its the old some people sing a retarded song for large periods of a game and people disagree with it rhetoric.

Where do you sit to get so uppity at this btw? :shifty:

Ahh, the old "I don't sit/stand in the singing area so I'll call it s***" rhetoric.

Lovely stuff.

No if you could read its the old some people sing a retarded song for large periods of a game and people disagree with it rhetoric.

Where do you sit to get so uppity at this btw? :shifty:

For the record I do sit in the L7 corner and I joined in with the other songs. And in response to an earlier post, I know away fans expect to be abused, I just think it's a bit laughable to call their support shit when they had a pretty good following for a midweek game and made a fair bit of noise.

As for starting songs - I'll be honest I don't, because I have a piss weak voice and it's embarrassing when no one joins in.  :lol: But once a song has been started, I will join in if it's one I agree with.

Nah, it's more like you know fuck all about what you're talking about rhetoric.

Guest Roger Kint

Nah, it's more like you know f*** all about what you're talking about rhetoric.

haha i love the attitude of the singing corner demi gods, 'we are better fans than all you so dont dare question what we sing' :idiot2:

Guest Roger Kint

Too unimaginative to think of anything funny to sing. Long gone are the days of amusing banter between fans.

Unless we are winning i prefer pro nufc songs as much as possible tbh. Our old ones like BR is sung by other teams more than us sadly.

Guest toonlass

Nah, it's more like you know f*** all about what you're talking about rhetoric.

haha i love the attitude of the singing corner demi gods, 'we are better fans than all you so dont dare question what we sing' :idiot2:

No-one has said that the singing corner has better fans, except for you.

the singing sections endless renditions of "your support is f***ing s***" is as pathetic as it is embarrassing.

I was getting sick of this last night like. Far too many rounds of "get out of our club" including once when we were taking a freekick and once when we'd just won a corner (both when 1-0 down). I wish more of our fans would join in with positive songs.

Thought QPR played a good game and we were unlucky not to concede more early on when they piled the pressure on. We had no shape in the first half and I was pleased Hughton had the balls to make the obvious sub - had a horrible feeling at half time that he was going to persist with Butt.

It seems they only have a reportoire of 2 or 3 boring songs which they repeat over and over, it's no wonder the rest of the crowd can't be bothered to join in.

And one of their only songs has the audacity to tell away fans their "support is s***"  :idiot2:

How many songs have you come up for the toon? How many songs did you start in St James last night?

Great question !

First of all I applaud the singing section and those who want to create an atmosphere, it's just that it's all become very limited, repetitive and boring recently.

To answer your queston A) Lots. B) None.

As a "veteran" of the Leazes End in the 60s and 70s I was lucky enough to enjoy what was probably the best atmosphere SJP ever had. For the big games (including Fairs Cup 60,000 sell outs) there'd be 18,000 packed into the Leazes, all standing under a tin roof, it was deafening and amazing fun to be part of.

Everyone sang in that end and the chants were inspirational, often very witty and topical. My favourite was probably "you'll never walk alone" with scarves held aloft - before Liverpool put a copyright on it.

The chanting was only in the Leazes End - other parts of the ground seldom joined in, although the posh season ticket holders in the old main stand would bang their feet on the wooden floors when they got excited. There was also quite a bit of "aggro" in the Leazes back then between rival gangs from different parts of the city.

I suppose the Gallowgate corner and scoreboard took over when the Leazes end was destroyed (sacrilege) and as the stadium developed it became more normal for the whole ground to join in when things were going well.

The modern day L7 singers should provide the spark which gets the rest (even old timers) going, but they need to be a bit less boring and repetitive to really make it happen.

Good luck to them - they're probably enjoying themselves just as much as the previous generation of singers did.