Keegan vs Ashley and Co case settled - KK awarded 2m

Taylor Swift

it's a bit like the fascists, sacking the programme editor after it was pointed out in the legal papers that the club (dennis wise) had said keegan was in charge of transfers in the programme. ashley : 'we can't trust that programme fella again...'

That cant be why they got rid of him surely ?

it's a bit like the fascists, sacking the programme editor after it was pointed out in the legal papers that the club (dennis wise) had said keegan was in charge of transfers in the programme. ashley : 'we can't trust that programme fella again...'

That cant be why they got rid of him surely ?

nah, probably not, i'm just having a laugh. although it wouldn't surprise me...

To be honest, there's not a massive amount of difference between Shepherd & Ashley when you look at the facts. Roeder admitted Shepherd bought him Duff without him necessarily wanting him...basically because he could. Souness admitted to basically being tricked into allowing the Luque transfer as pointed out in another thread because he said he'd be cheaper than he was, as well as the whole Anelka/Owen affair, and as for dodgy agent dealings, two words...Willie McKay.

Hopefully both of these shady, dodgy characters are in the club's history...and also hope Ashley's failings don't give Shepherd a rosier reputation than he should have.

:mackems:

Brilliant, well constructed argument.

It's almost as if HTL has allowed NE5 to log in as him, to get around the ban.

Interesting.....

I've been anti-Keegan over the whole affair and my opinion hasn't changed. I won't repeat myself but I posted on the other Keegan thread.

There was a good discussion on Sunday Supplement about the Keegan affair. Anyone else see it?

Fine if people want to still support Keegan on this, but I'd be intrigued to know whether notwithstanding that any of you are just a teeny-weeny-weeny bit bothered that he tried to take £25 million out of the club (about a third of our entire annual turnover I'd think), particularly when his contract only entitled him to £2 million?

Likewise that the resignation issue was over one relatively insignificant loan signing, and none of the permanent ones that were made?

I think these are the two elephants in the room.

Posts like this are really starting to piss me off. Read the f***ing facts you nutsack!

KK said he was happy to take the £2m settlement if both parties agreed that the court findings would be made public. This is the only way he could clear his name and have a chance at working in the media or the game again. 

If he hadn't agreed to that we'd still be scratching our heads wondering what the f*** had gone on, and would be none-the-wiser about what had actually caused him to walk away.

The only way KK could've been totally vindicated is for the beans to be spilt.  Everyone knows the facts now and Keegan doesn't have to worry about future earnings because he's no longer being painted out as some nut-job bottler.

If someone (wrongly) ruined the chances of you ever being employed again wouldn't you want some compensation for lost future earnings ?

From the mouth of Dennis Wise:

Wise also took a swipe at Keegan for seeking more than £25m in compensation. He said: “Mike Ashley offered Kevin Keegan more money to settle the dispute out of court than was actually paid out in compensation. If Kevin had won £26m in compensation, what effect would that have had on the football club?”

If it was about money why didn't KK just take what Fat Mike offered and run?

Guest johnson293

Wise also took a swipe at Keegan for seeking more than £25m in compensation. He said: Mike Ashley offered Kevin Keegan more money to settle the dispute out of court than was actually paid out in compensation. If Kevin had won £26m in compensation, what effect would that have had on the football club?

Aye, and no doubt that out of court offer would ave come with a gagging order, so KK wouldn't have been able to speak out about what happened.

Wise also took a swipe at Keegan for seeking more than £25m in compensation. He said: “Mike Ashley offered Kevin Keegan more money to settle the dispute out of court than was actually paid out in compensation. If Kevin had won £26m in compensation, what effect would that have had on the football club?”

thats obvious. if he'd been offered 4mill he thought he could get more.

I think both Keegan and Shearer agree'd they could not work together as Manager and No.2, its one or the other I am afriad.

Keegan's tried both ends of this system, and it's failed both times. At Fulham Wilkins left because he felt undermined by Keegan, and as manager Keegan left because those above him shat on him.

interesting choice of words...why not keegan was undermined here and keegan shat on wilkins ?

To be honest, there's not a massive amount of difference between Shepherd & Ashley when you look at the facts. Roeder admitted Shepherd bought him Duff without him necessarily wanting him...basically because he could. Souness admitted to basically being tricked into allowing the Luque transfer as pointed out in another thread because he said he'd be cheaper than he was, as well as the whole Anelka/Owen affair, and as for dodgy agent dealings, two words...Willie McKay.

Hopefully both of these shady, dodgy characters are in the club's history...and also hope Ashley's failings don't give Shepherd a rosier reputation than he should have.

There is a massive difference between going ahead with a transfer when the manager has categorically stated that he didn't want it to, and suggesting players you've been offered to the manager who they go along with.

Going into the specifics of the examples you cite.

Duff - IIRC according to Roeder, Duff was suggested to him after he was offered to Shepherd and he was very happy to get the player. I can't find the interview now, but I believe he then went on to say something like "I think he would have signed him anyway". From my recollection it was said in a joking way, but regardless is hardly evidence that he would have done so in that hypothetical situation. I personally don't think he would have, and it was certainly a long way from being tested: "I can't tell you how pleased I am about getting a player of that quality."

Luque - I've not seen the arguments in this other thread you mention, but if that's what Souness said, then I simply don't believe him on that one. The Luque transfer was fairly prolonged, 2 or 3 weeks at least. It was well known we bid £9.5m, and the Depo chairman wanted around £11m. There was a big thread on here calling Shepherd all the names under the sun for not forking out the extra in case we missed out on the Spanish superstar. In the end the deal went through for the £9.5m. Are we expected to believe that Souness himself was ignorant to the finances of the deal until it was all over?

Anelka - This one always cracks me up. He had just gone to Fener for £7m only 6 months earlier. He had done well, they won the league and got into the CL. There was no way they wanted to sell him at that time. If we'd managed to get Fener to sell him at that time we'd have had to have paid well over the odds for him, probably £12m+. IMO a chairman is well within their rights to veto transfers if they think the are not good value, and paying that much for the ultimate moody frenchman when we would have been his 8th club in 11 years is a massive risk even if he had been available at any price which there's absolutely no evidence to say that he was.

McKay - Which transfers were done simply as a favour to McKay?

It must be clear to all but the most deluded of gibbons that KK perceviered to get the judgment and all the facts out into the open regardless of cost or settlement.

It's about as much as you're capable of understanding.  Obviously.

It must be clear to all but the most deluded of gibbons that KK perceviered to get the judgment and all the facts out into the open regardless of cost or settlement.

if it were anybody else,everybody would say he was holding out for more money.

you'd think if money was no object he'd just have told all to the press straight away and challenged ashley to sue.

When they leaked the £25m thing last week they already knew that that had effectively been dropped during the hearing - so as far as I can see they are focusing on his initial claim rather than what had already been ruled out.

I still see the hearing converation being paraphased as:

"£25m - howay Kev you're taking the piss"

"Aye, you're right - lets drop that one eh"

you'd think if money was no object he'd just have told all to the press straight away and challenged ashley to sue.

Kevin is holier than all of us though, he has no interest in money and materialistic goods, he simply fights the good fight to make the world a better place.

Kevin is holier than all of us though, he has no interest in money and materialistic goods, he simply fights the good fight to make the world a better place.

Think turnip is more apt, tbh.

When they leaked the £25m thing last week they already knew that that had effectively been dropped during the hearing - so as far as I can see they are focusing on his initial claim rather than what had already been ruled out.

I still see the hearing converation being paraphased as:

"£25m - howay Kev you're taking the piss"

"Aye, you're right - lets drop that one eh"

Or perhaps "£25m - leave it aht son, you're having a giraffe"

Point out to me what I said in there that's wrong then. And before you bring up the "Champions League" argument, that's not where we were when he left the club.

Point out to me what I said in there that's wrong then. And before you bring up the "Champions League" argument, that's not where we were when he left the club.

Don't be daft, man. If you can't already appreciate the difference between Fred and Ashley I'm not about to waste my time trying to explain the obvious.

Of course Shepherd was the better one, but just because of Ashley's failings, it seems that people overlook the fact that in Shepherd's last 2-3 seasons he was dodgy, made shocking decisions, had overseen us slip towards relegation battles, etc.

You're being daft again. I don't know anybody who thinks the last couple of seasons under Fred were anything other than poor from the day he appointed  Sourness. Stop making stuff up.

The last bunch running the club remain a class apart from the likes of Ashley and his wide-boys.

Persevered? ;)

On the contrary working with the LMA was the correct path and has also the added bonus of setting a precedent for years to come.

Wise also took a swipe at Keegan for seeking more than £25m in compensation. He said: Mike Ashley offered Kevin Keegan more money to settle the dispute out of court than was actually paid out in compensation. If Kevin had won £26m in compensation, what effect would that have had on the football club?

Keegan has denied getting any offer of an out-of-court settlement. Wise is probably just repeating the story that he would have read in the papers a few days ago.

The tribunal hasn't figured out who has to pay the costs yet, has it?  If KK rejected a decent offer, he could well be liable for the costs.  That's why KK specifically denied it imo and, possibly, why Wise the flunky brought it up again.

Keegan has denied getting any offer of an out-of-court settlement. Wise is probably just repeating the story that he would have read in the papers a few days ago.

So you believe him now? Hmm.