Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

How do you motivate players to win football matches?

Well, how about hitting them in the pocket every time they lose?

That is the approach taken by Dynamo Kiev in an effort to get their players to deliver results in Ukraine's top flight.

While losing a football match is not the end of the world, it comes with a price for Nigeria midfielder Yusuf Atanda Ayila and his team-mates.

Ayila, who joined the Ukrainian giants in 2003 from Union Bank of Lagos, told BBC Sport that losing or drawing a match is simply not an option.

"It's really difficult in Dynamo," the Nigerian international said. "If you're there you always want to win, because if you lose they take it out of your salary.

"At first, I protested but other players told me that everyone pays for losing here.

"So you see the players fighting on the pitch for two major reasons: to win and keep our money in our pockets.

"You don't get paid for a difficult home or away draw, so at the club it's all about winning and nothing else.

"Generally people understand that in sport you win, lose or draw but at this club winning is the only language they understand."

The stakes are even higher for Ayila and his colleagues when arch-rivals Shakhtar Donetsk come calling.

"It's a political battle, there is so much at stake when we play Shakhtar Donetsk," he added.

"We can't afford to lose - it's a taboo to lose to Shakhtar."

Ayila added that as an African he has found it difficult to adapt to life in the former communist country, despite living there for the last eight years.

The Super Eagle admitted that he is looking to move to a "bigger club" in western Europe.

With just six months left on his contract, a transfer could happen sooner rather than later.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2011/06/penarol_embrace_their_rich_his.html

Nice little article on Penarol and Uruguayan football. Vickery's blog, naturally.

Uruguay's population is 3m?! I thought it was a lot more than that.

Good piece as always by Vickery. Hope they beat Santos but I just can't see it like, think Ganso is back for the 2nd leg too.

---

Not that the AFA are s**** but Argies might be doing a Brazil and giving Martin Palermo an international send off in their friendly against Albania. He has 15 caps FFS.

I know he's done little internationally but in the context of domestic football Palermo is huge isn't he?

I guess so and if you're of a Boca persuasion aye. I'd liken it a bit to Shearer if I had to draw comparison.

Jonathan Woodgate's luckless problems with injuries have brought his career at Tottenham Hotspur to an almost inevitable conclusion, with the former England defender released from his contract at White Hart Lane.

Bring him back, for old times sake :**)

Guest Roger Kint

The greedy little shit has a horse running today and it looks a cracking bet for anyone who values their soul at 11/2.

Brown Panther should win tbh now the rain has come, that said i backed against it  ;D

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

What happened to Daniel De Ridder? Wasn't he supposed to be a talent? Being released by Wigan says it all tbh.

Giles Barnes released too, remember when we were heavily linked to him at one point. Think injuries have destroyed his development.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Mental note: Hire Sewelly as scout (Or at least Youtube watcher) when I get into management.

Guest neesy111

Wembley to host 2013 champions league final.  This years must have been a success in making UEFA even more richer.