Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

Guest chicken little

wasn't it written by a Mackem?

At least in a British context, strike partnerships in a 4-4-2 tend to fall into two categories: the big man-quick man (John Toshack and Kevin Keegan; Mark Hateley and Ally McCoist; Niall Quinn and Kevin Phillips) or the creator-goalscorer (Kenny Dalglish and Ian Rush; Peter Beardsley and Gary Lineker; Teddy Sheringham and Alan Shearer). In the former, there genuinely were two strikers, but in the latter, did the creator not drift deeper, linking the space between midfield and attack? The remarkable impact on English football of Eric Cantona and Gianfranco Zola was largely the result of their ability to drop off and play between the lines, confusing English centre-backs just as surely as had Matthias Sindelar and Nándor Hidegkuti. The issue, then, seems one of notation: nobody would have thought of describing, for instance, Sunderland’s promotion side of 1989-90 as playing 4-4-1-1, but with Eric Gates tucked behind Marco Gabbiadini, that is assuredly what it was. And once the instinctive recoil against 4-5-1 has been got over, it becomes apparent that it is just as flexible, just as easily recalibrated according to circumstance as the 3-5-2.

Gates and Gabbiadini as the apex of, the quintessential 4-4-1-1-.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still a proper canny book, like.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21202513

CHRIS SAMBA

Jonathan Pearce's verdict : "No football fan or opposition player could fail to notice the eye-catching Samba. At 6ft 4in and 13 stone there's a lot of him! What makes this such a staggering deal is the £12.5m fee and reported £100,000 weekly wages for a 28-year-old with diminishing resale value.

6ft 4in and only 13 stone? No way is Samba only 13 stone. He looks like a heavy weight boxer. I'm 6ft 5in, I go to the gym regularly and I weigh 15 stone. I'd assume Samba weighs at least 15 stone. Looking at Jonathan Pearce, I wouldn't be surprised if he himself didn't weigh more than 13 stone and I doubt he's very tall.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

wasn't it written by a Mackem?

At least in a British context, strike partnerships in a 4-4-2 tend to fall into two categories: the big man-quick man (John Toshack and Kevin Keegan; Mark Hateley and Ally McCoist; Niall Quinn and Kevin Phillips) or the creator-goalscorer (Kenny Dalglish and Ian Rush; Peter Beardsley and Gary Lineker; Teddy Sheringham and Alan Shearer). In the former, there genuinely were two strikers, but in the latter, did the creator not drift deeper, linking the space between midfield and attack? The remarkable impact on English football of Eric Cantona and Gianfranco Zola was largely the result of their ability to drop off and play between the lines, confusing English centre-backs just as surely as had Matthias Sindelar and Nándor Hidegkuti. The issue, then, seems one of notation: nobody would have thought of describing, for instance, Sunderland’s promotion side of 1989-90 as playing 4-4-1-1, but with Eric Gates tucked behind Marco Gabbiadini, that is assuredly what it was. And once the instinctive recoil against 4-5-1 has been got over, it becomes apparent that it is just as flexible, just as easily recalibrated according to circumstance as the 3-5-2.

Gates and Gabbiadini as the apex of, the quintessential 4-4-1-1-.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still a proper canny book, like.

Wilson is my #1 Football Pet Hate.

Former Tottenham striker Garth Crooks on Final Score:

"The game between Newcastle and Chelsea was littered with decisions that I do not believe referee Howard Webb got right."

The BBC have been littered with comments that I do not believe Garth Crooks got right.

worra cunt.

Does it bother you that we don't have many local players in the squad? and can foreigners "get it"?

For me Taylor brings a lot more to the team than just being a good defender, he's always vocal and cheering the lads on - he really cares about it. Id like to think that some of the foreign players can come in and care as much but part of me can't stop thinking they all just treat it as a job.

Some foreign players in the past certainly fell into the category but what about the current players?

I say foreigners but really anyone that isn't from here - I mean what difference is it if they're from london or lille in terms of caring about newcastle

Does it bother you that we don't have many local players in the squad? and can foreigners "get it"?

For me Taylor brings a lot more to the team than just being a good defender, he's always vocal and cheering the lads on - he really cares about it. Id like to think that some of the foreign players can come in and care as much but part of me can't stop thinking they all just treat it as a job.

Some foreign players in the past certainly fell into the category but what about the current players?

I say foreigners but really anyone that isn't from here - I mean what difference is it if they're from london or lille in terms of caring about newcastle

I was just typing a post about this but deleted it :aww: In the Keegan days I'd often prefer a limited Geordie player who'd die for the cause over a talented player who I couldn't really connect with but it's a completely different landscape now. 

I'll always have a soft spot for players like Taylor because if I played for Newcastle I'd be doing the cheerleader stuff too.