Why does it matter that Barry Moat doesn't have billions?

Dave

I've no problem with Moat's finances in the long run, the club can be self-sufficient if run well and will generate plenty of cash.

The problem is going to appear in the summer (assuming we get promoted this season) when we're going to need to buy 8-9 players to replace the garbage and strengthen those positions where there's little or no backup.  Frankly, if we get promoted and spend under £40m on those players we'll probably be looking at relegation again.

I've no problem with Moat's finances in the long run, the club can be self-sufficient if run well and will generate plenty of cash.

The problem is going to appear in the summer (assuming we get promoted this season) when we're going to need to buy 8-9 players to replace the garbage and strengthen those positions where there's little or no backup.  Frankly, if we get promoted and spend under £40m on those players we'll probably be looking at relegation again.

Yep. Hence my fear, as expressed above, about yo-yodom.

On the other hand, Shearer could turn out to a managerial genius who will turn poor players into world beaters, while Moat's "local knowledge" will conjure transfer cash out of thin air.

There is enough money in and around NUFC to be a stable prem side like everton without the need of a billionaire.

*edit

What has fucked us is the stupidty of the temporary custodians of the club.

I basically agree with you Dave. So long as Moat surrounds himself with people who understand football and have his full trust, uses common sense and is reasonably ambitious with the club I'll be fairly happy. If we improve (which I wouldn't have thought would be too hard from where we are now) our budget will grow considerably. The only real alternative is the sillyness of mental billionaires and, much as I'd enjoy that, I'm not sure it's really what I want.

Am with you and Dave here.  O0

Count me in to, we just cannot compete with the oil money. Short term it would be great to have that investment. Long term is another problem.

Just look at where it has gotten Chelsea

probably the best team in europe and clear favourites to win the permiership?

I basically agree with you Dave. So long as Moat surrounds himself with people who understand football and have his full trust, uses common sense and is reasonably ambitious with the club I'll be fairly happy. If we improve (which I wouldn't have thought would be too hard from where we are now) our budget will grow considerably. The only real alternative is the sillyness of mental billionaires and, much as I'd enjoy that, I'm not sure it's really what I want.

Count me in to, we just cannot compete with the oil money. Short term it would be great to have that investment. Long term is another problem.

With the best strike partnership in the league?

On the other hand, Shearer could turn out to a managerial genius who will turn poor players into world beaters, while Moat's "local knowledge" will conjure transfer cash out of thin air.

This is based on absolutely no knowledge of the deal but I don't believe Moat (or anyone else for that matter) wouldn't hope and believe we will be promoted this season. Therefore for him to come in with little or nothing to spend on the squad in the summer would be absolutely bonkers. He simply MUST have figured into his plans for the club to invest in overhauling the playing staff this summer. There are no ifs or buts about it; the squad wasn't good enough to stay up and it's now weaker.

I imagine he's got his plan together based on £100m to buy and £25-50m to spend. If he gets the club for less than the £100m and that means the manager has more to play with then that's even better.

There is enough money in and around NUFC to be a stable prem side like everton without the need of a billionaire.

*edit

What has f***ed us is the stupidty of the temporary custodians of the club.

We would generate more turnover if we finshed on or around Everton's positions due to the size of our ground.  If we cuild slowly we'd generate more money, in fact I'd guess if we got promoted this season even with Everton finishing higher our income would be greater.

This is based on absolutely no knowledge of the deal but I don't believe Moat (or anyone else for that matter) wouldn't hope and believe we will be promoted this season. Therefore for him to come in with little or nothing to spend on the squad in the summer would be absolutely bonkers. He simply MUST have figured into his plans for the club to invest in overhauling the playing staff this summer. There are no ifs or buts about it; the squad wasn't good enough to stay up and it's now weaker.

I imagine he's got his plan together based on £100m to buy and £25-50m to spend. If he gets the club for less than the £100m and that means the manager has more to play with then that's even better.

Well, we all thought that because Ashley had appointed Keegan he simply MUST be getting ready to blow a wad on sexy transfers.

They were probably saying the same at Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday.

Possible, but i do think with correct planning there is no reason why we cant be a stable club like Everton in the prem league.  Look at our attendances in the 2nd Div.

Some of the teams in the prem are dog shit man.

Well, we all thought that because Ashley had appointed Keegan he simply MUST be getting ready to blow a wad on sexy transfers.

Hardly the same situation is it?

Say Moat has barely managed to scrape together £100m of other people's money and plans to spend fuck all on the squad, what exactly would be his purpose of buying the club? So he can be the hero getting rid of Ashley, just like Ashley was getting rid of Shepherd? That won't last long if the club are relegated again. So he can make a quick buck? Again, see Ashley - particularly his repeated failed attempts at selling it.

If he's coming into this without realising the playing staff needs serious investment in the summer (and budgeting for it accordingly) then he's thicker than I could ever imagine. Ironically enough considering you keep slating him for it, being a fan of the club should only help him in this regard.

Say Moat has barely managed to scrape together £100m of other people's money and plans to spend fuck all on the squad, what exactly would be his purpose of buying the club? So he can be the hero getting rid of Ashley, just like Ashley was getting rid of Shepherd? That won't last long if the club are relegated again. So he can make a quick buck? Again, see Ashley - particularly his repeated failed attempts at selling it.

If he's coming into this without realising the playing staff needs serious investment in the summer (and budgeting for it accordingly) then he's thicker than I could ever imagine. Ironically enough considering you keep slating him for it, being a fan of the club should only help him in this regard.

I'm not slating him for being a fan of the club. I'm questioning the moronic idea that this is the most important qualification and outweighs things such as money.

As long as he has the best interests of the club at heart (which being local I have to assume he does), and he surrounds himself with intelligent, footballing people that can guide him as he gets used to running a football club, then I don't think his lack of billions matters at all.

I'm not slating him for being a fan of the club. I'm questioning the moronic idea that this is the most important qualification and outweighs things such as money.

And who exactly has suggested that?

Care to respond to my other points?

No, too busy.

As he has no other qualifications (eg money, experience running a football club) his "local knowledge" (brought up on here again and again) is the only qualification on offer.

Tbh, no one knows nothing at this time, so it's pure speculation whether or not we'll have transfer funds in the summer. We're told (by certain mysterious figures) that he has financial backing from some rich American fucks. Nee-one knaas owt.

No, too busy.

As he has no other qualifications (eg money, experience running a football club) his "local knowledge" (brought up on here again and again) is the only qualification on offer.

He had about as many qualifications as Ashley did, and I didn't see you complaining then. Why so cynical now?

With the best strike partnership in the league?

And the most handsome central midfielder ;)

Yeah like they know what there talking about

MAD BELIEF: Newcastle were relegated under Alan Shearer

Tuesday October 6,2009

By Mick Dennis  Have your say(1)

BARRY Moat, the mug (sorry, the businessman and fan) trying to buy Newcastle United, hopes to step up negotiations in the next week.

The resolution of the dispute with Kevin Keegan – the former manager wanted £27 million but the club were ordered to pay him only £2m – has removed the uncertainty hindering talks.

It will be £30m by the end of the month :facepalm:

Alternatively a new sponsor, increased TV rights and close to 40k season ticket holders might generate money out of thin air...

As for needing to spend £40m etc. next season is only partly true.  Hull didn't spend £40m and they stayed up, the money is nice an makes it easier but doesn't guarantee anything.  Sunderland spent loads and stayed up by the skin off their teeth like Hull.  Stoke didn't spend much but were organised and settled with their manager.

People have to stop thinking billionaire sugar daddy's are the norm.  They aren't, and the majority of clubs don't have them.

I'm also wondering about the people who are sure they want "Stability" over finance.

How long will that last? Because if we do eventually go up and begin to struggle because we haven't invested enough in the squad then questions will be asked.

In my opinion, financial strength is the nucleaus of success. Stability will provide the club with a good base, but the players we buy and the manager we have will determine where we go.