Why does it matter that Barry Moat doesn't have billions?

Dave

I'm also wondering about the people who are sure they want "Stability" over finance.

How long will that last? Because if we do eventually go up and begin to struggle because we haven't invested enough in the squad then questions will be asked.

In my opinion, financial strength is the nucleaus of success. Stability will provide the club with a good base, but the players we buy and the manager we have will determine where we go.

the idea is with stability and financial prudence in spending then the club can generate its own finance. Everton are an example of a club that competes at the top level and only spend within their means without the resources of a chelsea man city man u

Everton are going backwards though.

they started last season poor yet finished 5th and in an fa cup final. Besides uefa has ideas of stopping the as arsene wenger puts it "financial doping" that the likes of abramovich and man city owners are doing and only having clubs spend what they generate

Now there's a revamped Manchester City, good luck getting 6th.

Ideas are all hypothetical though aren't they? How long have we been talking about goal line technology? Years. Have they introducted it? They haven't.

FIFA and UEFA detest the idea of putting technology into the game, its managers and media pundits calling for that one, the footballing authorities don't like the idea.

heres the latest i can find http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8256279.stm

I'm also wondering about the people who are sure they want "Stability" over finance.

How long will that last? Because if we do eventually go up and begin to struggle because we haven't invested enough in the squad then questions will be asked.

In my opinion, financial strength is the nucleaus of success. Stability will provide the club with a good base, but the players we buy and the manager we have will determine where we go.

the idea is with stability and financial prudence in spending then the club can generate its own finance. Everton are an example of a club that competes at the top level and only spend within their means without the resources of a chelsea man city man u

Going backwards or maintaining their same level of stability, ony losing their league final placing  due to Villa and Man city spunking wedge left right and centre.

Villa?

I take it you haven't been following the takeover thread? I know it's pretty boring like. :laugh:

Moat's very mention in there has brought up cynical questions about his ability to afford it on an almost daily basis. Look at the poll result; despite knowing absolutely nothing about the other party (including whether or not they even exist), five times as many people have voted for them over Moat. Just because they supposedly have more cash.

I realise that, though votes aren't reliable.

When I say the "majority" of posters agree with you, I mean the people who actually have a respectable opinion agree with you.

A large proportion of the people who are voting are idiots or vote for the most desireable option.

Personally, I'd rather have someone with billions. I might have had another view a year ago. I'm getting bored with the whole situation. I'm also getting a little tired of the way football is heading as I've posted about before, so a cash injection would make things a lot more uncertain, but a lot more exciting.

When you say you are tired of the way football is heading, do you mean with clubs just spending silly money and having little or no morals or respect for the history of the game, the fans etc? In which case, why do you want us to be part of that? ???

Digressing a bit here. ;)

I have no issue with any of the clubs who have money and are spending it on every player they could possibly attract, I would like to see us in that position.

The problem lies is how it effects everybody else, it's detremental to their success.

How would you feel to be an Everton fan? You've spent the duration of David Moyes' tenure waiting for progression and you've witnessed the club grow to a team that competes for the Europa League positions every single season. You are hoping you could have the possibility to try and challenge the Champions Leagues spots, then Manchester City come along within 12 months and buy probably your biggest asset, where do you go from there?

You find another. Don't forget they bought Lescott from Wolves by taking advantage of their status and extra revenue. Not everyone can have a sugar-daddy (and if they did then nothing would have changed) so you have to accept that building is all you can do.

Sounds ridiculous to say it in the context of football but it's not always about winning. Right now I'd love to be a mid-table Premier League team, with the possibility of pushing on a bit further and playing in Europe. Alright winning the league might be miles off but if you take that attitude towards the league (that without winning there's no point competing) then we might as well close all the clubs down and just have those with £1bn having their own mini-league.

And even if we did have a ridiculous billionaire, there are only so many prizes. Chelsea for all they've spent can't win the Champions League. Arsenal haven't won anything in years yet I still adore their brand of football. Liverpool can't seem to get the league but they've won a few cups including that amazing Champions League win.

All I want for now is for this club to punch its weight. That means getting us back in the Premier League and staying there. If Moat fucks off in three years time having left us mid-table and with a bunch of cash in his back pocket I won't begrudge him that.

I take it you haven't been following the takeover thread? I know it's pretty boring like. :laugh:

Moat's very mention in there has brought up cynical questions about his ability to afford it on an almost daily basis. Look at the poll result; despite knowing absolutely nothing about the other party (including whether or not they even exist), five times as many people have voted for them over Moat. Just because they supposedly have more cash.

When I say the "majority" of posters agree with you, I mean the people who actually have a respectable opinion agree with you.

A large proportion of the people who are voting are idiots or vote for the most desireable option.

Personally, I'd rather have someone with billions. I might have had another view a year ago. I'm getting bored with the whole situation. I'm also getting a little tired of the way football is heading as I've posted about before, so a cash injection would make things a lot more uncertain, but a lot more exciting.

When you say you are tired of the way football is heading, do you mean with clubs just spending silly money and having little or no morals or respect for the history of the game, the fans etc? In which case, why do you want us to be part of that? ???

I have no issue with any of the clubs who have money and are spending it on every player they could possibly attract, I would like to see us in that position.

The problem lies is how it effects everybody else, it's detremental to their success.

How would you feel to be an Everton fan? You've spent the duration of David Moyes' tenure waiting for progression and you've witnessed the club grow to a team that competes for the Europa League positions every single season. You are hoping you could have the possibility to try and challenge the Champions Leagues spots, then Manchester City come along within 12 months and buy probably your biggest asset, where do you go from there?

You find another. Don't forget they bought Lescott from Wolves by taking advantage of their status and extra revenue. Not everyone can have a sugar-daddy (and if they did then nothing would have changed) so you have to accept that building is all you can do.

Sounds ridiculous to say it in the context of football but it's not always about winning. Right now I'd love to be a mid-table Premier League team, with the possibility of pushing on a bit further and playing in Europe. Alright winning the league might be miles off but if you take that attitude towards the league (that without winning there's no point competing) then we might as well close all the clubs down and just have those with £1bn having their own mini-league.

And even if we did have a ridiculous billionaire, there are only so many prizes. Chelsea for all they've spent can't win the Champions League. Arsenal haven't won anything in years yet I still adore their brand of football. Liverpool can't seem to get the league but they've won a few cups including that amazing Champions League win.

All I want for now is for this club to punch its weight. That means getting us back in the Premier League and staying there. If Moat fucks off in three years time having left us mid-table and with a bunch of cash in his back pocket I won't begrudge him that.

They may well find another gem, but that gem needs years to develop.

The teams you mentioned are all challenging for trophies though, that's my main concern. I honestly wouldn't care if we didn't win a trophy for another 50 years, I just hope we'd have the opportunity to be able to compete.

If there any concrete ideas to put a cap on the financial system then I'm all for it, maybe then it will rekindle what makes football a beautiful game, for the unpredictable to manifest.

Going backwards or maintaining their same level of stability, ony losing their league final placing  due to Villa and Man city spunking wedge left right and centre.

Villa?

Yes Villa have spent more wedge then everton over the pat couple of seasons, less then man city tho I'll admit.

So lets get this straight, people wanted a well run club.  We ended up with Ashley who bummed us daft.

We now have the chance of having a new owner and we may be managed batter with a bit of stabiity for a few seasons but this is not good enough anymore, people want a crazy billionaire to take over and spend crazy money as being run like Everton is shit cos they are going backwards.

So lets get this straight, people wanted a well run club.  We ended up with Ashley who bummed us daft.

We now have the chance of having a new owner and we may be managed batter with a bit of stabiity for a few seasons but this is not good enough anymore, people want a crazy billionaire to take over and spend crazy money as being run like Everton is shit cos they are going backwards.

What an awful post, on all levels :lol:

Tbf I would prefer a carzy billionaire owner to buy us out but as it's unlikely to happen I can't be arsed wondering "what if...?"

All I want for now is for this club to punch its weight. That means getting us back in the Premier League and staying there. If Moat f***s off in three years time having left us mid-table and with a bunch of cash in his back pocket I won't begrudge him that.

Thats a top drawer view of how i want things to be.

The teams you mentioned are all challenging for trophies though, that's my main concern. I honestly wouldn't care if we didn't win a trophy for another 50 years, I just hope we'd have the opportunity to be able to compete.

If there any concrete ideas to put a cap on the financial system then I'm all for it, maybe then it will rekindle what makes football a beautiful game, for the unpredictable to manifest.

I don't see a major disagreement between our statements there. A club like this should be in a position to compete, and if run well (there's that unquantifiable statement again) it can generate enough funds of its own accord to do so. Might not be competing for the league title or Champions League, but we can be competing for European football and domestic cups.

This is going to sound incredibly arrogant, but we're not Portsmouth with a crappy little ground and fuck all worldwide attraction who need a billionaire just to pay their players. We're much more than that, even if just by way of a big stadium. At least we can fill it.

We now have the chance of having a new owner and we may be managed batter with a bit of stabiity for a few seasons but this is not good enough anymore, people want a crazy billionaire to take over and spend crazy money as being run like Everton is s*** cos they are going backwards.

What an awful post, on all levels :lol:

:lol:

Tbf i was in a telephone conference talking about IP phone configurations when i typed that.  :dowie:

I don't see a major disagreement between our statements there. A club like this should be in a position to compete, and if run well (there's that unquantifiable statement again) it can generate enough funds of its own accord to do so. Might not be competing for the league title or Champions League, but we can be competing for European football and domestic cups.

This is going to sound incredibly arrogant, but we're not Portsmouth with a crappy little ground and fuck all worldwide attraction who need a billionaire just to pay their players. We're much more than that, even if just by way of a big stadium. At least we can fill it.

That's it though isn't it? Letting the top clubs ease to the same trophies every year while we burn ourselves into the ground trying to reach a place in europe.

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but all I can see is a limit we can reach, and that's not healthy for us and it's not healthy for football.

That's it though isn't it? Letting the top clubs ease to the same trophies every year while we burn ourselves into the ground trying to reach a place in europe.

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but all I can see is a limit we can reach, and that's not healthy for us and it's not healthy for football.

Without silly money I agree, but I'm comfortable with that. In fact I'll be glad we're not contributing to it. :thup:

Mike Ashley seemed like a solid British businessman who was the antidote to the awful spending record and financial situation of the Shepherd era.

Not saying Moat will be anything like him (how could he be), but it's pretty much impossible to know if he'll be any good before he gets started. I guess he's local, but there are plenty of incompetant locals.

Of course it matters Dave.

Yes, all we want to someone to run the club responsibly and build the club up, and that would apply to any future owner, but having a big cash injection in place would make a massive difference to us both in the short term, and in the long term success of our club.

Where does the idea that Moat over a Billy big bucks is likely to lead to future stability? Surely, racking up debt (which Moat will presumably have to do) is a hell of a lot less stable than a rich fucker able to write off/cover the losses like Abramovic, the Man City bods or even sodding Ashley. Getting the right manager in and backing him long term is the only thing that brings stability, and that will take heavy investment if we want to break into the European spots again.

If Moat doesn't have that, then surely the concerns, considering whoever buys us will likely be with us for a far old time, are very valid indeed.

All I want for now is for this club to punch its weight. That means getting us back in the Premier League and staying there. If Moat f***s off in three years time having left us mid-table and with a bunch of cash in his back pocket I won't begrudge him that.

This is going to sound incredibly arrogant, but we're not Portsmouth with a crappy little ground and f*** all worldwide attraction who need a billionaire just to pay their players. We're much more than that, even if just by way of a big stadium. At least we can fill it.

Thing is though, liverpool for example may now be competing for trophys but should they fail to get into cl (a possibility this season even) they are screwed big time, like leeds times 100 with the level of debt they have, man u is in a similar position they need to be succesful just to keep the banks happy. Should roman abramovich ever decide to f off back to russia and want his money back from chelsea you can kiss chelsea football club good bye. Man City would crash back to where they were the moment sheik mansour gets bored of his football club. Out of what you can call the current top 8 clubs in the prem (sky 4 city villa everton spuds) the ones who are being run right financially are arsenal everton and spurs (though with arrys track record for club finances at his previous clubs that may not last long)

Decent point that, although it seems far-fetched at the moment, football clubs as billionaires' playthings could be a short-lived trend. Speaking purely from a business point of view, most football clubs are in dire straights anyway... something will have to give eventually.

Of course it matters Dave.

Yes, all we want to someone to run the club responsibly and build the club up, and that would apply to any future owner, but having competetive investment in place would make a massive difference to us both in the short term, and in the long term success of our club.

Where does the idea that Moat over a Billy big bucks is likely to lead to future stability? Surely, racking up debt (which Moat will presumably have to do) is a hell of a lot less stable than a rich fucker able to write off/cover the losses like Abramovic, the Man City bods or even sodding Ashley. Getting the right manager in and backing him long term is the only thing that brings stability, and that will take a hell of a lot if we want to break into the European spots again.

If Moat doesn't have the cash in place to get the right manager and back him with big money, then surely the concerns, considering whoever buys us will likely be with us for a far old time, are very valid indeed.

I've addressed your points in posts to other people - I'm not saying we should be jumping through hoops that he's not loaded nor have I said he will bring stability. In fact we don't even know what his backing is.

I not saying that he won't need 'competitive investment' as you correctly put it either. He'll need to have allowed for investment just to make sure we go up and don't get relegated next year, never mind compete for European spots.

I made this thread to address the fact that many people in the takeover thread seem to be disappointed by Moat and very cynical about him, purely because he's not ridiculously rich. This seems incredibly short-sighted to me; it's like people want to be the next Man City or it's not good enough.

They're going backwards, gradually.

I respect Everton, a lot. I can see the way they are trying to progress, they have an excellent structure in place.

But I also saw them try to keep Lescott in vain, the same will happen to the rest of their better players if their situation remains the same.

Everton don't have our level of financial clout though (we'd bring in £40m-£50m more per year in the same position).  Just because they've hit a brick wall they can't break without outside money doesn't mean we would.  I mean how far could Everton have pushed on if they had an extra £40m to £50m per season?

i think people are right to be wary, which is how we should have been when Ashley took over. Just because we're getting rid of one of the worst owners around isn't a cast iron guarantee that his replacement will be better.

i think people are right to be wary, which is how we should have been when Ashley took over. Just because we're getting rid of one of the worst owners around isn't a cast iron guarantee that his replacement will be better.

Without doubt. I was totally fucking wrong about Ashley. :-[

BottledDog, when you say we have to have competitive investment, what level of competition do you mean?  Without outside money we can't compete financially in the transfer market with Manure, Chelsea or Man City obviously.  But we could compete financially with any other team in the league (Liverpool are fucked financially and Arsenal don't spend silly money).

People should be wary that he has little to no experience of running a Football club.  Instead they're banging on about money, at a club the majority of Premiership clubs can't compete with financially.  Doesn't make any sense to me.

BottledDog, you say we have to have competitive investment, but competitive with who?  Without outside money we can't compete in the transfer market with Manure, Chelsea or Man City obviously.  But we could compete with any other team in the league (Liverpool are fucked financially, Arsenal don't spend silly money and we can match the financial clout of any other side in the league).

You say we can generate more money than most, but I don't think that will be the case any more if we make it back to the Prem.

As it is, much of the money we have generated in the past has been on the back of the brand image created during the Keegan years and to a lesser extent the Robson years, through advertising, TV, and sponsorship deals. We are not that kind of draw any more. Our ticket prices are not in the same league as Southern clubs and as other clubs up their capacities, any advantages we had there will be lost too.

Yes, as a city we can draw on more loyal support than most places, but when it comes down to it, will that ofset the fact that we still have to pay so far over the odds to get the best players and managers away from London, Liverpool, or Manchester?

To get back up there, to get the manager, to persuade the players, and then to see the big revenue returns through TV coverage and companies clamouring to be associated with us, will at some stage need to see us investing massively to get the ball rolling. It would be a shame if at the end of this proccess, we end up with an owner who isn't capable of doing that.

/For the record, I thought Ashley was taking the right route (yeah, yeah, I know), invest in youth, get a good manager and structure in place, build us up to a point we can push on, all the while having the cushion of knowing he could dip into his pockets if we got into trouble. But after his crippling blunders following on from the steady decline of Shepherd, trying to get the club back and competing on a shoestring (with no big pockets to call on if we go into freefall again) just seems like a thankless task, and not what I would hope for from a new owner given the choice. O0