Why does it matter that Barry Moat doesn't have billions?

Dave

I'm also wondering about the people who are sure they want "Stability" over finance.

How long will that last? Because if we do eventually go up and begin to struggle because we haven't invested enough in the squad then questions will be asked.

In my opinion, financial strength is the nucleaus of success. Stability will provide the club with a good base, but the players we buy and the manager we have will determine where we go.

Good post that, we don't really know what the new owners financial strength is atm, until we do is crossed fingers time.

I'm also wondering about the people who are sure they want "Stability" over finance.

How long will that last? Because if we do eventually go up and begin to struggle because we haven't invested enough in the squad then questions will be asked.

In my opinion, financial strength is the nucleaus of success. Stability will provide the club with a good base, but the players we buy and the manager we have will determine where we go.

We should just try and bring in some young players on the cheap and sell them on for a profit. That should sort us out.

Good post that, we don't really know what the new owners financial strength is atm, until we do is crossed fingers time.

No point in being pessimistic. He's taken this long so if he does take over I'm sure we'll be able to compete on a similar financial level to that under shepherd.  FS at the end of the day he never pumped any money in and fair enough we had too much debt but if you're organised and don't give out crazy wages we should have enough to compete for at least midtable in the prem for the foreseeable future if not higher depending on the management.

Again, I'm not suggesting we settle for stability ahead of finance. Ideally Moat will bring both.

The key is running the club well. Above all else, I hope the change in ownership will show this.

Again, I'm not suggesting we settle for stability ahead of finance. Ideally Moat will bring both.

The key is running the club well. Above all else, I hope the change in ownership will show this.

What is 'well-run', though? Do we want to be financially prudent in the West Brom sense where lack of investment usually results in a return to the Championship? They're often applauded for their caution, but ultimately, as a result, they'll never be a secure PL side. It's a balancing act.

However, it seems Moat is the only way out for us, so it's not like there are other options available to us.

What is 'well-run', though? Do we want to be financially prudent in the West Brom sense where lack of investment usually results in a return to the Championship? They're often applauded for their caution, but ultimately, as a result, they'll never be a secure PL side. It's a balancing act.

However, it seems Moat is the only way out for us, so it's not like there are other options available to us.

Well run for a club of this size and reach is ensuring we stay in the Premier League to start with. That will require a minimum level of investment in the management and playing staff. Making sure the mistakes Ashley and Shepherd have made are learnt from.

Of course it's very easy to say these things, whether they can and will happen is another matter. The whole purpose of this thread though was that I believe it's far more important that Moat has the right plans and implements them effectively than simply having a bunch of cash to his name.

There is no simple solution offered by buckets of outside moolah.

If West Brom had the fanbase, revenue and 'pull' that we will have upon (hopefully) returning to the prem they'd be a lot better off though, and could probably look in invest enough that they'd stay up. But, as you say, it's very tough to do. There needs to be prudence at some level but there also needs to be an appetite for risk to incorporate ambition and the ability to establish in the top league. The longer you're in that league the easier it gets with each successive season mind.

with all the talk of US and Middle eastern 'backers' isn't moat basically fronting a consortium? unless ive missed something in the past day we don't really know what financial muscle he is bringing to the table so any talk of him lacking money is premature.

If West Brom had the fanbase, revenue and 'pull' that we will have upon (hopefully) returning to the prem they'd be a lot better off though, and could probably look in invest enough that they'd stay up. But, as you say, it's very tough to do. There needs to be prudence at some level but there also needs to be an appetite for risk to incorporate ambition and the ability to establish in the top league. The longer you're in that league the easier it gets with each successive season mind.

Oh, I've no doubt that we are capable of self-financing ourselves to be a mid-table PL side... given time. It's the next two seasons that are my primary concerns. Whichever way you look at it, unless Moat has pots of cash or a very friendly banker, promotion is a gamble.

Let's get a mega rich owner instead then.

I never said that would be plausible.

It just seems the general concensus is people would rather have stability over that option.

It just seems the general concensus is people would rather have stability over that option.

Eh? No it isn't, that's why I made this thread. :lol:

Eh? No it isn't, that's why I made this thread. :lol:

Really? So why is the majority agreeing with you then?

I take it you haven't been following the takeover thread? I know it's pretty boring like. :laugh:

Moat's very mention in there has brought up cynical questions about his ability to afford it on an almost daily basis. Look at the poll result; despite knowing absolutely nothing about the other party (including whether or not they even exist), five times as many people have voted for them over Moat. Just because they supposedly have more cash.

the idea is with stability and financial prudence in spending then the club can generate its own finance. Everton are an example of a club that competes at the top level and only spend within their means without the resources of a chelsea man city man u

the idea is with stability and financial prudence in spending then the club can generate its own finance. Everton are an example of a club that competes at the top level and only spend within their means without the resources of a chelsea man city man u

Everton are going backwards though.

They generally start seasons poorly due to injuries, plus they are missing Arteta who is vital to them, shame he's so injury prone, could be world class if given the correct stage.

I take it you haven't been following the takeover thread? I know it's pretty boring like. :laugh:

Moat's very mention in there has brought up cynical questions about his ability to afford it on an almost daily basis. Look at the poll result; despite knowing absolutely nothing about the other party (including whether or not they even exist), five times as many people have voted for them over Moat. Just because they supposedly have more cash.

I realise that, though votes aren't reliable.

When I say the "majority" of posters agree with you, I mean the people who actually have a respectable opinion agree with you.

A large proportion of the people who are voting are idiots or vote for the most desireable option.

Personally, I'd rather have someone with billions. I might have had another view a year ago. I'm getting bored with the whole situation. I'm also getting a little tired of the way football is heading as I've posted about before, so a cash injection would make things a lot more uncertain, but a lot more exciting.

Going backwards or maintaining their same level of stability, ony losing their league final placing  due to Villa and Man city spunking wedge left right and centre.

Going backwards or maintaining their same level of stability, ony losing their league final placing  due to Villa and Man city spunking wedge left right and centre.

They're going backwards, gradually.

I respect Everton, a lot. I can see the way they are trying to progress, they have an excellent structure in place.

But I also saw them try to keep Lescott in vain, the same will happen to the rest of their better players if their situation remains the same.

When I say the "majority" of posters agree with you, I mean the people who actually have a respectable opinion agree with you.

A large proportion of the people who are voting are idiots or vote for the most desireable option.

Personally, I'd rather have someone with billions. I might have had another view a year ago. I'm getting bored with the whole situation. I'm also getting a little tired of the way football is heading as I've posted about before, so a cash injection would make things a lot more uncertain, but a lot more exciting.

When you say you are tired of the way football is heading, do you mean with clubs just spending silly money and having little or no morals or respect for the history of the game, the fans etc? In which case, why do you want us to be part of that? ???

Digressing a bit here. ;)

they started last season poor yet finished 5th and in an fa cup final. Besides uefa has ideas of stopping the as arsene wenger puts it "financial doping" that the likes of abramovich and man city owners are doing and only having clubs spend what they generate

When you say you are tired of the way football is heading, do you mean with clubs just spending silly money and having little or no morals or respect for the history of the game, the fans etc? In which case, why do you want us to be part of that? ???

Digressing a bit here. ;)

I have no issue with any of the clubs who have money and are spending it on every player they could possibly attract, I would like to see us in that position.

The problem lies is how it effects everybody else, it's detremental to their success.

How would you feel to be an Everton fan? You've spent the duration of David Moyes' tenure waiting for progression and you've witnessed the club grow to a team that competes for the Europa League positions every single season. You are hoping you could have the possibility to try and challenge the Champions Leagues spots, then Manchester City come along within 12 months and buy probably your biggest asset, where do you go from there?

they started last season poor yet finished 5th and in an fa cup final. Besides uefa has ideas of stopping the as arsene wenger puts it "financial doping" that the likes of abramovich and man city owners are doing and only having clubs spend what they generate

Now there's a revamped Manchester City, good luck getting 6th.

Ideas are all hypothetical though aren't they? How long have we been talking about goal line technology? Years. Have they introducted it? They haven't.