Why does it matter that Barry Moat doesn't have billions?

Dave

I'd be very happy with challenging for the top 8 for a while and even if things aren't going well enough to progress further we'd still be in a position to be taken over by the next crazy spenders :)

I'd say Manure, Chelsea and Man City are the only clubs with real big money behind them, the only clubs who we wouldn't be able to compete with financially in the transfer market should we go back up.

Liverpool may have spent small this summer but they've spent a bomb in recent years. I don't know the net spending but 25M on Torres, 18M on Mascherano and 20M on Keane all in the space of a year is a level of spending most other clubs have no hope of competing with.

the effects of those yanks buyout are starting to hit liverpools spending and even with cl money their net spending is below a lot of teams this year. Though you are right rafas net spend is fairly big alright

Of course it is thats why teams find it so hard to break the top 4.  The CL money gives them a massive advantage which means it would be almost impossible to break nowadays without Billionaire backing.  I don't think we need to worry about challenging for CL places, I'd be happy being in the UEfa every couple of seasons and playing some decent football.

the downside is how addicted to the cl cash the sky 4 are, in particular liverpool and man u. One bad season and a miss on cl places and they are so badly up the shit creek it won't even be funny. After all look what happened to leeds and what happened to their finances after missing out on cl when they had planned on having that cash to spend. Or even us though not to as great an extent so far. Arsenal would probably be able to handle a drop from the cl places (though they would lose players like fabregas and arshavin) and chelsea have abramovich cash to rely on so they'd be fine

I think some are equating a well run club with one that doesn't spend any or much money on transfers.

A well run club or even one moderately well run will generate 'profit', ok i'll rephrase that as most folk due to our recent history when you mention profit at a club immediately think of asset stripping, to being run well enough that income outweighs running costs (players wages etc) before a decent transfer kitty is budgeted for. Also, a well run club, especially ours, would/should increase the income on a yearly basis that is greater than the rise in yearly running costs. This would/should increase the amount in the kitty and also allow for one or two 'extra' signings that go over and above the allocated transfer fund but wouldn't overly affect the following years transfer kitty.

We have or had one of the biggest turnovers in football, if we can can ever get it right behind the scenes we'll be more than a bottom feeder in the prem.

We've been stung by players coming to us just for the money many times anyway, we might be better off not being able to bribe them away from the top 6 or 7 clubs.

That's the position we're in now!

Guest johnnyappleseed

It's easy to say "oh just run the club like Arsenal", but to do that from scratch would be almost impossible in this sugar daddy climate.

For the financial  year ending May 31, 2009, Arsenal's turnover was £313.3 million. for football alone it was £225.1m. The money made from matchday attendance alone is more than the total of most clubs entire revenue stream: £100.1 million. The wage bill was £104m, which is 46% of their football revenues). Profit after tax was £35.2 million. That's a massive gap to even try and close.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/arsenal-holdings-plc-results-for-year-end-ma

14 of the 29 players listed as members of the first team squad joined before 17 the latest (an additional three joined after 18 but before 20 and were signed to go directly to the first team).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenal_F.C.#First-team_squad

Arsene Wenger's net spending in his 13 years at the club is £7m.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=piruthZqw9z7KPOQuZ0P6Gg

The two billionaires trying to jockey for position at Arsenal aren't doing so to be sugar daddies. They want to take over the club so they can change the no dividends policy and have a money making investment in their portfolio.

We've been stung by players coming to us just for the money many times anyway, we might be better off not being able to bribe them away from the top 6 or 7 clubs.

I know, except we're also in the Championship and with an owner who won't spend anything at all.

Hopefully if we get promotion we will still be more attractive to the second or third tier of player than the likes of Stoke, Bolton and Hull. That's the best wecan hope for at the moment I reckon.

They say that the best managers were just average players. Seeing as we've had more than our fair share of average players means surely one of them will turn into a great manager?

Then all we'd need is a bit of investment and a sensible owner.

They say that the best managers were just average players. Seeing as we've had more than our fair share of average players means surely one of them will turn into a great manager?

Then all we'd need is a bit of investment and a sensible owner.

:lol:

I would love it if we got Marc Hottiger in as manager.

Clubs should live within their means, and I'm not attracted to a Chelsea / Man City style owner. However, a wealthy backer does ensure some kind of safety net, and more importantly, could provide that initial injection of investment that we will need if we get promoted. If Moat is struggling to put the money together, it doesn't augur well.

So many clubs at the top now have big foreign money behind them, and we have to be aware of what it takes to be competitive.

Harris at Seymour Pearce feels that it's important for the club to have a local connection, and that's a major reason for him recommending Moat.

Guest Roger Kint

I know, except we're also in the Championship and with an owner who won't spend anything at all.

Hopefully if we get promotion we will still be more attractive to the second or third tier of player than the likes of Stoke, Bolton and Hull. That's the best wecan hope for at the moment I reckon.

A better bet would be to get as many scouts around the leagues as possible so that we have a real network for once. Teams like Wigan(Palacios, Figeroa) Blackburn(Samba, Nelson) etc have found Premiership players for low prices who have helped push them upwards.

Guest johnnyappleseed

A better bet would be to get as many scouts around the leagues as possible so that we have a real network for once. Teams like Wigan(Palacios, Figeroa) Blackburn(Samba, Nelson) etc have found Premiership players for low prices who have helped push them upwards.

Palacios was a result of Wenger liking Steve Bruce and telling him he should sign him after he had a trial with Arsenal. Then that signing led to more in roads in to Central America.

Guest Roger Kint

Palacios was a result of Wenger liking Steve Bruce and telling him he should sign him after he had a trial with Arsenal. Then that signing led to more in roads in to Central America.

Yes of course it was, i never said otherwise. My point was he DID sign for Wigan for a low price and DID a great job for them. Plus made them £15m to boot.

Guest Roger Kint

Yeah, that would be great, Palacios is exactly the kind of second-tier player I was talking about. At least we thought he was when he arrived at Wigan almost unknown.

Well now we have two South American scouts doing us favours for the cream of their talent we cant fail can we? :shifty:

How many Premier League clubs have mega rich owners?

Access to massive funds is what i said was required, Target of the mega rich is also what I said...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5618183,00.html

:pow:

In a seperate note that Prince faisal was in London St Pancras Monday 7pm, drives a nice rolls royce coupe with a glass (lalic i think) spirit of ecstasy on the front, gash chavvy coloured red piping on the interior though, surrounded by body guards. So can confirm hes in the country whether its good news for liverpool fans or a coincidence who knows...

Its a good thing if you want to compete at the highest level...

but when everyones the same and just toys to arab billionaires and only survive on the mood of the owner?

Not how it works out there mate, if they buy something it has to be the biggest and best, the competition is far more fierce than here, they wont get bored and stop investing they would sell but they wouldnt just walk away, they would lose to much face in their community. Im not saying its right, but its the way the game is going and were either in it or we`re nowhere. Tbh I can see a time where advertising revenue and sponsorship for these mega-clubs is so massive that stadium income is no longer needed, what goods stadium revenue to a tax exhile billionaire using the club as a social event? free admission anyone?