Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, LFEE said:

He was about to step down but Alex Hurst beat him to it. Then Heron and one other left overnight so he delayed announcing his intention to stand down. Alex Hurst then returned to help Greg iirc. Wouldn’t be surprised if this is Greg’s last term.

Why did those two decide to leave though? 

4 hours ago, LFEE said:

Who else is there to run it if there is no one else left? Next elections/candidates should be interesting.

Someone like Thomas Concannon. 

10 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

Where is that from? 

I think I said it after the AGM. The accounts showed 23k spend with no detailed breakdown as to what. 

I doubt there’s anything dodgy happening but I doubt it’ll be in line with the rules that they drafted (because they were shit). The 20/21 accounts showed the pledge money collected separately from the operating expenditure but only up till their financial year end which was august I think. 

I don’t think anyone doubted their would be operating costs but the pledge money was supposedly untouchable and c3k of it was spent. Could have used some of their other cash to cover it but seemingly not. 

The difficulty with external audits is that they aren’t about transparency. They’re about whether what’s reported in the accounts is materially accurate (true and fair) not whether it was spent on something which benefits / is reported to members. 

nect AGM is Feb 2023 and elections should run till then and outcome be announced (if they follow the rules that is). 

1 hour ago, Joey Linton said:

Why did those two decide to leave though? 

I had a lot of reasons and several were what I believed to be fundamentally wrong with the trust as well as some more trivial issues which led me to lose respect of fellow board members.

I consider Thomas and Greg (in particular) friends and hence why I've not been too public about these reasons previously.

I am of the view that the trust needs a bit of an overhaul to reconnect with the fanbase, but me airing dirty laundry wouldn't have been beneficial. However, around election time I may make my feelings known... If I think it's of benefit.

I'll pre-warn though... Alex will likely be chair again, Greg will likely step down and those involved within a certain circle will likely gain greater influence. Which, to my eyes won't benefit the trust overall.

2 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Definitely. Problem is for most i would think the Trust simply aren't relevant any more, certainly after the last few years. 

With the fan led review they absolutely are relevant. That's why it's paramount they reconnect and re-engage for when that motion comes into place and increased engagement from clubs is a larger pre-requisite

10 minutes ago, Heron said:

With the fan led review they absolutely are relevant. That's why it's paramount they reconnect and re-engage for when that motion comes into place and increased engagement from clubs is a larger pre-requisite

No doubt they should be more relevant, but with the current set up they really aren't. 

I think there has to be an overhaul because of tenures this round (including Alex I think) so nominations will be interesting. They also need the right skills sets as well (accountant, legal etc). 

I personally think to restore faith they only need to do three things 1 have the right skills sets 2. Engage better and more often (including communicating outputs like minutes, accounts or an annual report) 3. Be totally transparent. 

It would probably be massively useful to have a strategy as well but got to walk before you run. 

28 minutes ago, Geordie2302 said:

I think there has to be an overhaul because of tenures this round (including Alex I think) so nominations will be interesting. They also need the right skills sets as well (accountant, legal etc). 

I personally think to restore faith they only need to do three things 1 have the right skills sets 2. Engage better and more often (including communicating outputs like minutes, accounts or an annual report) 3. Be totally transparent. 

It would probably be massively useful to have a strategy as well but got to walk before you run. 

The problem with the elections is that it basically becomes a popularity contest. Anyone with a fairly large online presence is a sure thing.

You can almost guarantee, if they wanted to, Holly Blades and Adam P would almost certainly get it.

I’ve suggested before to the Trust but there needs to be some routes into it that aren’t elected in that way to ensure the right skills are also in place.

That’d almost be like an application CV process with a clear quality/skillset required, i.e accountancy, or audit background. I’d encourage the club to get involved as a bit of independence. I’m sure there is some fan engagement person with a few hours spare. Failing that, someone like Caulkin.

Also think there needs to be some more people with protected characteristics on the Board, at least one, maybe two seats there.

Currently an entirely white middle-class Board with one (almost tokenistic) female isn’t what is needed.

As you say, they also need a clear and defined strategy and goals to achieve. Measurable outcomes. 

Lead roles, built in from the strategy, would be important too. As a fan, I’d know exactly who to contact about x, y and z.

It shouldn’t even be that much time and effort for people on the Board, if it was properly organised.

Again, I’ve offered loads of support/ideas before and it’s been ignored, before people say. None of these ideas should be new to them.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

12 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

The problem with the elections is that it basically becomes a popularity contest. Anyone with a fairly large online presence is a sure thing.

You can almost guarantee, if they wanted to, Holly Blades and Adam P would almost certainly get it.

I’ve suggested before to the Trust but there needs to be some routes into it that aren’t elected in that way to ensure the right skills are also in place.

That’d almost be like an application CV process with a clear quality/skillset required, i.e accountancy, or audit background. I’d encourage the club to get involved as a bit of independence. I’m sure there is some fan engagement person with a few hours spare. Failing that, someone like Caulkin.

Also think there needs to be some more people with protected characteristics on the Board, at least one, maybe two seats there.

Currently an entirely white middle-class Board with one (almost tokenistic) female isn’t what is needed.

As you say, they also need a clear and defined strategy and goals to achieve. Measurable outcomes. 

Lead roles, built in from the strategy, would be important too. As a fan, I’d know exactly who to contact about x, y and z.

It shouldn’t even be that much time and effort for people on the Board, if it was properly organised.

Again, I’ve offered loads of support/ideas before and it’s been ignored, before people say. None of these ideas should be new to them.

The point about an online presence/popularity contest is very fair imo. I only got on because people know me from the match because I stand, shout and sing and have previously protested, etc. In doing so, I've been a familiar face. I ended up letting people down in the end because I was perhaps, not what the trust needed. Or was what they needed but needed to bide my time more...

They didn't want to use my best asset/skill of engaging with people and didn't appreciate my ideas, they didn't have the same fundamentals or priorities and I felt entriely alienated. Thus decided I wasn't going to waste my time.

The Bruce incident (poll they put out) was my final straw.

But I probably didn't have the right skillset for other elements. So overall probably wasn't the right person for what their vision was... 

Edited by Heron

1 minute ago, Heron said:

The point about an online presence/popularity contest is very fair imo. I only got on because people know me from the match because I stand, shout and sing and have previously protested, etc. In doing so, I've been a familiar face. I ended up letting people down in the end because I was perhaps, not what the trust needed. Or was what they needed but needed to bide my time more...

They didn't want to use my best asset and didn't appreciate my ideas, they didn't have the same fundamentals or priorities and I felt entriely alienated. Thus decided I wasn't going to waste my time. 

You didn't let anyone down at all. Absolute nonsense that. 

55 minutes ago, Heron said:

I had a lot of reasons and several were what I believed to be fundamentally wrong with the trust as well as some more trivial issues which led me to lose respect of fellow board members.

I consider Thomas and Greg (in particular) friends and hence why I've not been too public about these reasons previously.

I am of the view that the trust needs a bit of an overhaul to reconnect with the fanbase, but me airing dirty laundry wouldn't have been beneficial. However, around election time I may make my feelings known... If I think it's of benefit.

I'll pre-warn though... Alex will likely be chair again, Greg will likely step down and those involved within a certain circle will likely gain greater influence. Which, to my eyes won't benefit the trust overall.

Slightly surprised Alex would chair again. Fair enough if he steps forward and no opposition. If so he needs to be grilled regarding his u-turn. 

Also is there a limit to how many times someone can be re-elected? If not there should be to avoid cliques forming.

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Slightly surprised Alex would chair again. Fair enough if he steps forward and no opposition. If so he needs to be grilled regarding his u-turn. 

Also is there a limit to how many times someone can be re-elected? If not there should be to avoid cliques forming.

Probably is, aye mate. I just think there's an opportunity for very close relationships with the club and that some may see it as a potential stepping stone/opportunity to get in with the club for future endeavours. Could be way off the mark like... 

1 minute ago, Heron said:

Probably is, aye mate. I just think there's an opportunity for very close relationships with the club and that some may see it as a potential stepping stone/opportunity to get in with the club for future endeavours. Could be way off the mark like... 

You should’ve hung on a bit longer. Alex quitting and Greg on his way out. You would’ve been head honcho 🙂

9 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Have you not been paying attention since the new owners came in? :lol:

6 minutes ago, LFEE said:

You should’ve hung on a bit longer. Alex quitting and Greg on his way out. You would’ve been head honcho 🙂

Haha wouldn't have wanted to be, I don't think. I think Thomas would be perfect for the role though

16 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Have you not been paying attention since the new owners came in? :lol:

I get that. I’m not naive 🙂 However if as I suspect Greg leaves it’s not an easy gig knowing what I know from the original incarnation of the NUST back in the 90’s/00’s. If he’s got the stomach for it and no one else willing to stand in then fair play and no one can argue regardless of his motives.

Edited by LFEE

14 minutes ago, Heron said:

Haha wouldn't have wanted to be, I don't think. I think Thomas would be perfect for the role though

I think you and Thomas would’ve made a great team 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/04/2022 at 12:17, Joey Linton said:

Three months yesterday since the membership vote closed on the future of this and the decision was made to distribute the funds to charity. 

And also a reminder that its four months this weekend since the decision was agreed to give the funds to charity. Four months.