Manchester City V Newcastle United - Post Match Thoughts.

BlufPurdi

Harper: 7 - did well except one situation where he had to clear it.

Carr: 5 - defended awfully and never went over the middle.

Moore: 5 - lost every header and looked very slowly.

Taylor: 7 - did OK and could compete in the air as the only Newcastle player.

Ramage: 6 - cant push forward but defended OK except that he was bullied by Richards. Play him in as central CB instead of LB!

Milner: 6 - worked hard as usually and tried something (which duff didnt) but he lost the ball too often.

Parker: 7 - worked very hard and was all over the pitch especially in the first half. Faded away after he recieved a yellow card.

Emre: 6 - tried to play the ball on the ground but clearly lacks confidence. Worked well with Dyer and showed in the end nice football.

Duff: 5 - sad to watch a great player like duff produce nothing at all, but some of blame must go to the team as a whole.

Ameobi: 5 - dont understand why Roeder was playing an injuried player instead of Rossi or Luque. 

Sibiersky: 5 - lost everything in the air and was awfully on the ground. His first touch is more crappy than the ones from Ameobi.

Subs:

Dyer: 8 (MOM) - rare to make a sub MOM but he really changed the game. Really looking forward watching in the next games.

Zogbia: 6 - didnt make an impact. Tried but he didnt look sharp and he clearly lacks confidence.

Solano: 7 - did well as RB (better than Carr) and played a big part in the pressure in the end of the game.

That's probably the way I saw it.

Guest mavericknufc

Terrible performance bar that last 5 minutes.  Both ends of the right back quality scale were on show - Richards who looked immense and Carr who was his usual self.  Was impressed with Barton thought he outshone Parker seems to have at least some idea what to do when he gets in the final 3rd, can take players on and knock the ball about.

Who would have thought a few months ago that we'd be playing Sibierski as a lone striker?

Shola looked very unfit. Even if he'd been fit, I don't think him and Sibierski are a partnership. There's no pace there at all.

The back four were very lucky not to concede a goal. Is Bramble injured, because if not, I really think he should have been playing. That's not a compliment to Titus - that's how poor I thought Moore was.

Zoggy didn't look up for it at all. Something's wrong there.

But if there's hope, it's Dyer. I felt that when he came on, the whole team got a bit of a lift. His individual performance was superb - he covered ground, he made himself available, he got forward, he enabled the whole strategy of keeping the ball on the deck, to work. On top of that, he was composed, rarely lost the ball, and made his contribution count. Fingers crossed, he's matured as a person and as a player.

Pity he can't shoot, but hey ho.

Guest alexharrisonnufc

Shit for 85 minutes then a great last 5, could have won which would have been hilarious!

- Dyer makes us look like a much better team and that is without him being properly match fit.

- Duff was non-existent and should be dropped for a game or two

- Milner & Emre wouldn't know what a final ball was if it smacked them in the face

- Our set pieces are shit, not being able to beat the first man at a corner is the most frustrating thing ever!

- Our only outlet up front was a Man City reject, which is depressing

agreed

Guest shaun11177

We all agree Shola isnt fit and shouldnt have started,the idea of playing Sibierski as a 2nd/link striker failed because his 1st touch isnt good enough.

The 1st half been an absolute non event.

When Dyer took over from Sibierski in the same role it worked far better,the possession was sticking and we were forced to pass the ball.

Nice to see Taylor picked today,the only way he will improve is by actually playing games,i wouldnt play Bramble in away games at all.

Ramage did ok-has anyone seen Bernard?

Emre was utterly abysmal.

Also our free kicks and corners are rubbish-does anyone practice these on the training ground,you wouldnt think so.

Milner had one of those games that tells you he will be a decent premiership player but nothing more.

Can't believe Roeder's comments

'A point is the target away from home'.

No its not, its three points every game, even away to Chelsea, Arsenal, Manu etc.

Go for one you will get nothing most of the time.

4-5-1 at best next week then.

If thats the managers ambition its no wonder the players won't kill games off or be adventerous. One goal and sit back. Rubbish

Lucky to get a point.

If they had started with the two big lads up front we'd have got nowt but a tanking.

Midfield was over-run for the most part, Parker & Emre kept getting in each others way. It was noticable that when Dyer came on he split Parker & Emre up and that made it (a little bit) harder for City to get through.

We can pass the ball when we try, there were a couple of passages of play when we were moving it around pretty canny and as we can do that why why why do we still persist with hoofing it up bypassing the midfield in the hope that our lone forward, Sib - who's as game as they come but limited (slow), can win a header against Distin & Dunne. Just giving the ball away.

Solano should take Milner to one side for a day and show him how to control, pass and cross the ball properly.

The fans looked & sounded canny.

Guest Magnetic North

Roeder's comments to the BBC about Dyer were quite telling I thought:

“...he's a very important player for us over the next 2 (3, 4 mths)...”

Translation:

“Get me out of the sh*t by Christmas Kieron or I'm f***ed!”

Last 5 minutes were quality, rest was utter dogshit.

The whole game was shite, had a good laugh in the away end though. How shit were the Man City fans?! Empty seats everywhere and didn't sing a word all game.

Heard Roeder on TV and he does not sound confident of anything he is saying.  If he does not believe in 'himself', how can I.  He needs to brush up on his media style.  Pardew's team lost today and he is totally different.  Saying they will try as a team against Chelsea, giving their fans something to keep them going and sounding bright and confident.  A point is better than nowt, the way we are playing. 

Guest alftupper

It amazes me that folk continually complain about Roeder playing

Shola 'who was clearly unfit' - or somesuch comment. Shola looked

no different to the standard he has attempted to maintain for the

past five seasons. At least his first touch has improved, in that

the ball only bounces 5 yards in front of him instead of the usual 10.

Also, judging by todays' performance Sibierski should go to for the same

operation.

I hope that the football played in the last 10 mins is an indication of

what is in store for future games and, although it may be a waste of

a midfield player, I would prefer to see Solano stay at full back rather

than continue with Carr. He could not be any worse defending, and

he gives us options going forward. (don't know if his aging legs

would last 90 mins!!).

Guest ryunufc

In my opinion, Ameobi's involvement was the worst football decision ever made by a Newcastle manager since Gullit dropped Shearer. Unbelievable.

Guest kinaldo
Mixed Feelings For Boss

By Ian Willis

GLENN Roeder had mixed feelings after the 0-0 draw with Manchester City on Saturday lunchtime.

The home side were well on top in the opening 45 minutes, but Newcastle picked up after the break and after a late spell of pressure, substitute Kieron Dyer was unlucky to see a late effort hacked off the line by Micah Richards.

Roeder told Newcastle World TV: "We started off slowly, but that was because we had played a tough game in midweek that went into extra time.

"They had the better opportunities, and they put us under a lot of pressure.

"We were hanging onto their coat tails for the first 45 minutes, and we were happy at half time to be 0-0.

"We had to be better in the second half, and we were.

"Some of the passing was great, we put them on the back foot, and finished the game like the Newcastle that I know and how I want us to play.

"Normally a point away from home is the target, but we were so close to getting all three near the end there.

"We didn't want the final whistle to come, because if there was going to be a winner at that stage it was going to be us."

Pathetic comment from Roeder. I don't want a manager that targets a single point against most teams and the likes of Man City away from home. It's bad enough going to Old Trafford with damage limitation being the target. For this alone he should go, imo.

Trying to be positive after that dross is a bit difficult, but let's see what we can come up with:

1) Whether you love Shola or hate him, he was a passenger today, so it's a positive that he's now off for the operation and we can wait six months to renew the "love him/hate him" debates :D

2) Duff being subbed - thought it was great to see Duff dragged, I was afraid he was one of Roeder's "sacred cows' as he's been turning in rubbish shifts since he arrived, so it was positive to see him being punished by being substituted

3) Dyer - again, love him or loathe him, he added real spark to our team, running with real pace and purpose. Rusty, admittedly, but injected real drive to our team

4) A clean sheet - we're down in the mire, so the ability to keep a clean sheet (admittedly a lucky one against a powder-puff attack) should hopefully give us some confidence that we can build on.

5) Martins is coming back soon - our biggest problem is scoring goals, so I'm looking forward to the possibility of playing Oba with Dyer on his shoulder.

6) One for all the Luque lovers - Duff and the Zog turning more shite performances will surely see your hero being given a chance on the left. Me, I fucking despise Luque, but right now I'd rather see the Spanish wastrel than the Irish one...

Its easy to see that as soon as we had a clear chance to score, the mood of the team changed, they became more confident going forward, and actually beleived they could win it. Its clear after seeing that the team lacks confidence, maybe its Roeder who can't see it. Surely he must get em fired up or something, he's obviously not getting thru to the players or they've lost confidence in him. Will be intresting to see if the confidence is there next game.

Guest newcastle4life

i think the only chance we would of had at winning was not playing shola.i think he should have went off at half time and brought dyer on for pace up front.the geordie fans were class.tossers the city fans like.and as the song said they just were a bunch of sakc heads.any one see that fat boldy bloke videoing us the pedo what he is lol

Guest rudeboy

I remember when Man Cty away should have been 3 points in the bag  bluesigh.gif

When was that then?  We've only won twice against Man City away in the last 40 years (2000-01 & 1984-85) and both wins by one goal only.  I was at both games and they could both have gone either way.  This fixture has never been an easy game for us.  I remember a couple of 4-0 defeats and a 1-5 so I for one am happy enough with a point.

What annoyed me most about Shola and Sibierski being the front 2 was other than the fact Shola can't move, our best chance was to use pace against Dunne, putting 2 big men up top when we have 2 wingers with quite possibly the worst ratio of crosses being converted to goals with 2 midfielders scared of the 18 yard box and you have a very toothless team. Inject some pace and they're quite dangerous. Fully expect 4-5-1 next week, I just hope sense prevails and Dyer is played off Sibierski, or if we fancy being daring and keeping it on the deck, Martins.

Roeder's comments on M.O.T.D. were more positive than the ones I heard early.  He was right about us having a go at the end of the match.  Saying it would not be easy to get out of the relegation area, was also correct.  Harper improves with each game.