Manchester City V Newcastle United - Post Match Thoughts.

BlufPurdi

I think it's just his misguided way of dealing with the anger and frustration we're all sharing, by sniping at fellow supporters.  Feel bad for the lad actually.

[edit] Odd, where'd BottledDogs post go ...

Mashed the wrong keys with my fists. Poof, it was deleted!

No great loss to be fair. bluebiggrin.gif

First-half diagnosis?

Haven't seen us play that bad since......last week :lol:. No pace, couldn't pass and the creativity was zero

Second-half diagnosis?

Same as above till 85th minute when we actually played to a level which we should be expecting.

Full-time diagnosis?

Shite, but the last 8 minutes gave me a bit of hope

Star man for United?

Taylor and Ramage did well, and Dyer changed our whole game when he came on.

Worst United player?

Ameobi, Duff and Carr were all shit. But N'zogbia was the worst, whats happend?

Opposition comment?

Noting special, benefited from us being shite

Toon-pros?

Dyer, Ramage and Taylor. Last 8 minutes

Toon-cons?

Everything else.

Post-match feelings?

Relegationwnd!

This time last season under souness we had 18 points and were 10th.

Now under Roeder we have 9 points and are 18th! :lol:

Souness actually had strikers fit though. No matter how shit our defence is still looking it still hasn't been leaking loads of goals in the last few games. A few years back if someone said to you we would concede a goal a game we would have been able to laugh at them because we knew we would score at least two ourselves. Now we can't even buy a goal. No matter who is manager now, i don't think anyone would be able to get them lot banging goals in because we simply haven't got goalscorers.

I just cant understand, that Roeder rates Milner higher then zoggy?

Zoggy needs games, how many has he even started this season? Has he even played a full game?

Roeder reminds me alot to Souness... Only picking players who are nice to him.... I mean give Zoggy and Luque a chance!

Roeder is a man who doesn't have the balls to be manager of NUFC, He's to nice to the players... And god knoows what he knows about tactics :confused: Every game he says he's been watching the other team for weeks, and every game he doesn't want to reveal his team before kick off, and every game he plays the same god danm tactics with the same players!

Harper - Excellent when called upon, apart from one flustered punch that came to nowt anyway. Made some very good saves, but his kicking was poor. 7.

Carr - Very poor. Cannot defend to save his life and we improved together as a team when he went off. 5.

Moore - Thought he played quite well, made some timely interventions, but wasn't the leader i want him to be. 6.

Taylor - In and out, didn't really see a huge amount. But his presence was good. He should be our first choice right-back tbf. 6.

Ramage - Good. Can't pass the ball out of defense to save his life and still has no attacking prowess. That's because he's a centre-back, and a centre-back with a hell of a tackle on him. 7.

Milner - Poor. Really, really shoddy performance from Milner. He can beat a man, yes, but his passing was wayward, shots laughable and his corners were shocking. 5.

Emre - He was alright, he linked up well with Sibierski at times but his set pieces are still mega-frustrating, and his overall final ball was poor. Again. 6.

Parker - Parker was too slow for my liking today, and it's something we keep seeing. He wins the ball well, but takes far too long to get rid of it. 6.

Duff - Pretty much anonymous and some of his passes were shocking to say the least. 5.

Ameobi - Injured. Simple as. Shouyld never, ever have played. 5.

Sibierski - He wasn't really in it, but showed some really nice touches at times. Unfortunately, he hasn't got an ounce of pace and his passing was wasteful at times. 6.

---

N'Zogbia - In and out. Busy. Nice to see someone who will actually run at defenders, which is what Zoggy did. That shot was crap though. 6.

Dyer - Good performance from Dyer - linking the play, getting into areas (which Milner wouldn't pass into) and was really unlucky with THE chance. 7.

Solano. Changed the game for us when he came on. Defended strongly when he needed to, and gave us something completely extra when he came on. He looked like the one player who could have created a winning opportunity in the game. Great little performance. 8.

Ramage - Good. Can't pass the ball out of defense to save his life and still has no attacking prowess. That's because he's a centre-back, and a centre-back with a hell of a tackle on him. 7.

Agreed, Roeder really needs to realise that Taylor Moore Ramage Babayaro is our most balanced and best back 4.

Agreed.

Poll denies City in Toon stalemate

Graham Poll found himself back in the headlines again after disallowing a Georgios Samaras goal in Manchester City's 0-0 draw with Newcastle. 

The World Cup official, already in the spotlight following the high-profile dismissals of John Terry and James McFadden in the past seven days, cut City's celebrations short when he spotted Bernardo Corradi pulling Stephen Carr inside the Magpies box midway through the second half.

It appeared a debatable call and proved to be crucial given Samaras turned the ball home after Richard Dunne had nodded Joey Barton's corner goalwards and left City cursing more bad luck.

The hosts, who are still unbeaten and yet to concede a goal at home, should have wrapped up the points anyway but Barton and Corradi wasted good chances.

However, they might also be thankful a late Newcastle rally did not see the Magpies fly off with the points as Kieron Dyer and Antoine Sibierski both went close before James Milner was left waiting in vain for a pass in the final second when completely unmarked in the middle of the City area.

The result does little to ease the pressure on Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder, whose side have now gone eight games without a win and look set for a long winter battle to pull themselves clear of trouble.

As neither side could claim to have set the world alight in any sense this season, a spectacular contest was not expected. Nevertheless, the sheer awfulness of the opening period still came as a shock.

It did not take much but undoubtedly, City were the better side.

In Barton they had virtually the only player on the pitch capable of lifting himself above mediocre.

Once again overlooked for an England call, Barton set about getting the better of Scott Parker, who has been handed a place in Steve McClaren's massive squad, and largely succeeded.

The only disappointment for the City man was he did not get his name on the scoresheet.

Barton did force one good save out of Harper when he nicked the ball past Parker then let fly with a volley that was heading in until the Magpies keeper turned it away.

However, it was the chance that came his way even earlier in the contest Barton probably had more cause to regret.

Hatem Trabelsi cushioned an excellent header into his path after City keeper Nicky Weaver had launched a huge punt forward, Barton controlled with his chest, drove into the box but then stroked a shot beyond the far post when far better could have been expected.

Roeder had opted to give Shola Ameobi one more opportunity before he heads for hip surgery but the forward barely broke out of a walk and on the one occasion he did find himself one-on-one with Sylvain Distin he meekly surrendered possession to the former Newcastle defender.

Newcastle's only opportunity of note fell to young defender Peter Ramage, who hooked a volley over after new England squad man Micah Richards' clearing header had bounced into his path.

The second period continued in the same manner as the first, with Harper again the hero when Barton split the Newcastle offside trap and found Paul Dickov inside the Magpies box, only for the Scotland international to see his side-footed effort turned away.

Dickov is yet to find the net in his second spell with the Blues but must have thought his drought was over as he sent a side-footed shot towards the far corner, only for Harper to make a fine low stop.

Like Dickov, Bernardo Corradi is goalless this season and he even better chance to score with his first touch after replacing Reyna on the hour mark.

Inexplicably left completely unmarked deep inside the Newcastle box, Corradi met Barton's free-kick with a firm diving header which disappointingly failed to test Harper.

It was the start of a lively period for the Italian, who nodded just wide before Harper got in the way of his close-range flick when Vassell had crossed.

Corradi's next involvement dragged Poll into the spotlight again. Given the furore he has created in the past week, no-one could accuse Poll of a lack of bravery as he ruled out Samaras' header.

It proved to be a major decision for as much as City controlled the contest never really looked like scoring again, while not even the arrival of Dyer could get the Magpies airborne.

Guest the_guv_nor

absolute crap game in my oppinion, its no good playing sh*t for 85 minutes then turning it on for the ast 5. playing an unfit shola was a joke. Duff was terribe today and Emre ony played well in the last 5-10 minutes, carr was an absolute waste of space, what was going on with that man city free kick for godsake???

If wasn't bad enough watching chubby Carr heave his way round the pitch, we have to watch Trabelsi - Who wasn't worth £0 apparently - have a decent game.

All Emre seemed to do was snap at people's heels. He's just an angry little Jack Russell.

Duffs is a talented player but I feel his legs are gone. He doesn't appear to be able to run past players, so what is he here for?

WTF was Ameobi doing on the pitch?  By my reckoning he touched the ball 3 times in the first 45 minutes.  How all the Luque haters can criticise Luque for comittment and say Ameobi is better should analyse Sholas performance.  I doubt he covered more than a hundred yards and never broke sweat. He never closed anyone down and couldn't turn the corner let alone a defence

Guest the_guv_nor

WTF was Ameobi doing on the pitch?  By my reckoning he touched the ball 3 times in the first 45 minutes.  How all the Luque haters can criticise Luque for comittment and say Ameobi is better should analyse Sholas performance.  I doubt he covered more than a hundred yards and never broke sweat. He never closed anyone down and couldn't turn the corner let alone a defence

yeah but you have to admire sholas commitment!!! (in the words or roeder)

Good job there was beer and idiots around me, or I'd have dozed off.  Last 5 mins was entertaining though.

City held by Magpies

Newcastle claimed an invaluable point after holding Man City to a goalless draw.

I remember when Man Cty away should have been 3 points in the bag  bluesigh.gif

The ironic thing is, we could move out of the bottom 4 on GD if Sheff United continue getting beat, and also Watford.

But many more performances like today and you'll be back there soon enough.

I'm not denying that. It shows how deep we are when we are having to rely on other sides getting hammered to move us up the league.

Guest Ridzuan

I think we were very lucky not to get beaten.If the Man City goal was to be allowed,which should be the case,then I would be feeling very very unhappy right now.But fortunately for us,it didnt.Anyway,overall we didnt play as well as we should,we invite them to come and threaten us and when we go forward,there was no one to put the ball in the back of the net.Ameobi was poor despite his heroic act to play one more game for us.We played very well in the last 5 mins or so,I thought Dyer was going to score.If we have been playing like that throughout the match,we could have won it.But I think overall,a draw is fair result but Im still unhappy.

Roeders thoughts from the official site;

Mixed Feelings For Boss

By Ian Willis

GLENN Roeder had mixed feelings after the 0-0 draw with Manchester City on Saturday lunchtime.

The home side were well on top in the opening 45 minutes, but Newcastle picked up after the break and after a late spell of pressure, substitute Kieron Dyer was unlucky to see a late effort hacked off the line by Micah Richards.

Roeder told Newcastle World TV: "We started off slowly, but that was because we had played a tough game in midweek that went into extra time.

"They had the better opportunities, and they put us under a lot of pressure.

"We were hanging onto their coat tails for the first 45 minutes, and we were happy at half time to be 0-0.

"We had to be better in the second half, and we were.

"Some of the passing was great, we put them on the back foot, and finished the game like the Newcastle that I know and how I want us to play.

"Normally a point away from home is the target, but we were so close to getting all three near the end there.

"We didn't want the final whistle to come, because if there was going to be a winner at that stage it was going to be us."

---------------------

As every games goes by, the more respect I lose for him. He's beginning to sound like Souness now - making excuses for players being tired.  :thdn:

First-half diagnosis?

We were shite

Second-half diagnosis?

Shite again

Full-time diagnosis?

Shite

Star man for United?

Harper

Worst United player?

Carr

Opposition comment?

Shite

Toon-pros?

Last 5 minutes and i'm pissed and Dyer played.

Toon-cons?

Most of it..

Post-match feelings?

Couldn't give a fuck anymore.

Still can't believe Pearce persists with (Or even signed in the first place) Dickov. He is total shite. We're absolutely desperate for goals, I can't see what he's thinking in such a limited player. I think with Samaras on from the start we would have had a little more punch and nicked it long before that failed final flurry when we emptied the midfield looking for the win. Pretty good defensive display from us tho again altho your attacking players hardly put us under any pressure. Sibierski of course was shite but I've got absolutely no idea why Roeder picked Ameobi, couldn't he see in training the guy can barely walk? Different side with Dyer on, much less meat and drink hoofing - I think you'll be picking up soonish if he can stay fit (the eternal question).

Paper thin attack, paper thin defence. Midfield had a good second half, woefully un creative in the first though.

Dont think Sibbers won one header today if we have a chance to get Distin i will carry him now, for the third year in a row he had our strikers in his pocket and was immense the full 90mins.

Pray to God Carr is out indefinately complete waste of space.

Why the hell did we play Ameobi who was not even close to being match fit. Joke.

I would start with what we finished with, bar slotting taylor in at RB and putting Bramble back in the centre.

We have absolutley NO physical presence in the team anywhere. Even the likes of Parker and Taylor we pushed around today.

Harper -  Real shame he will be dropped indefinatley now Given is back. 7

Carr - Not fit enough to lace Warren Bartons boots let alone wear a toon shirt and call himself a defender. unratable

Taylor -  Much more like the prospect we were looking at last season, good show from him if we had a RB and LB i would be tempted to put him with Ramage. 6

Moore - Sloppy gets done for pace alot needs replacing but is the lessar of our defensive evils. 5

Ramage - Gives his all, although nothing in attack bar one decent cross, along with Taylor the only defenders worthy to wear a toon shirt at the club. 6

Milner - takes players on well but cannot cross needed more support from RB and needs to stick wide. 5

Parker - Good battling and a good second half three way going on with Emre and Dyer but offers nothing coming forward. 6

Emre - Same as above but not quite as good, we cant have two people sitting back all the time. useless set pieces..AGAIN. 5

Duff - Not working for him yet, wasnt helped by the fact Ramage didnt support him and the rest of the midfield didnt want to attack. 4

Ameobi - Nice to give him one last match for this season, maybe he would have been motivated to score? Or maybe we could have started our fit strikers and not two identically useless players bringing nothing to our attack - 2 - DID NOTHING

Sibbers - Effort good but not alot else, if Luque had his work rate we would be on to a winner, like wise if Sibbers had his skill maybe he would look like a striker. Sprang into life in the last few minutes 4.5

Subs:

Dyer - Great to see him back , linked up so well but was a little too greedy when he could have played milner right in on goal, creates so much space and defenders are scared of his pace. feeling it by the end but lets pray he can stay fit. 7

N'Zog - was given more space than duff was, but i think the Irishman (had he still be on) would have used it better. Testing time for him. 5

Solano - much better game if there was a balance between his game and milners we would have a good right winger. 6

Roeder - Why Ameobi? Good subs and made at the right time, but the performance was all wrong again. PLease for the love of god just try luque, at worst he will give us the same as what Ameobi and Sibbers did today. 4

Nice Scarf wavings though.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Harper: 7 - did well except one situation where he had to clear it.

Carr: 5 - defended awfully and never went over the middle.

Moore: 5 - lost every header and looked very slowly.

Taylor: 7 - did OK and could compete in the air as the only Newcastle player.

Ramage: 6 - cant push forward but defended OK except that he was bullied by Richards. Play him in as central CB instead of LB!

Milner: 6 - worked hard as usually and tried something (which duff didnt) but he lost the ball too often.

Parker: 7 - worked very hard and was all over the pitch especially in the first half. Faded away after he recieved a yellow card.

Emre: 6 - tried to play the ball on the ground but clearly lacks confidence. Worked well with Dyer and showed in the end nice football.

Duff: 5 - sad to watch a great player like duff produce nothing at all, but some of blame must go to the team as a whole.

Ameobi: 5 - dont understand why Roeder was playing an injuried player instead of Rossi or Luque. 

Sibiersky: 5 - lost everything in the air and was awfully on the ground. His first touch is more crappy than the ones from Ameobi.

Subs:

Dyer: 8 (MOM) - rare to make a sub MOM but he really changed the game. Really looking forward watching in the next games.

Zogbia: 6 - didnt make an impact. Tried but he didnt look sharp and he clearly lacks confidence.

Solano: 7 - did well as RB (better than Carr) and played a big part in the pressure in the end of the game.

First-half diagnosis?

Why was Ameobi started? Another example of sentiment over strategy, giving him a chance for glory before dipping off for surgery, despite the fact that he was in nowhere near good enough shape to play.

A few promising signs in midfield - the build up to Parker's wasted, weak shot was actually a string of pretty decent passes. We should try that more often.

Second-half diagnosis?

Roeder made some decent substitutions, and did it with enough time to actually affect the game. Though I'm not sure why he didn't have any real striking or defending options on the bench. We were lucky that Carr was the one who picked up an injury. Any other defender and we'd have had a lot harder time replacing him.

Excellent last 5 minutes. We actually looked like a Premiership team.

Full-time diagnosis?

A point away is better than we deserved for most of the game, and certainly helps us more than another loss.

Star man for United?

Harper or Dyer

Worst United player?

Ameobi, though to be fair, he shouldn't have even been on.

Opposition comment?

Should've scored after their subs. Angrier about the draw than we are, I'm sure...

Toon-pros?

Good use of substitutions. Threatening goals with no actual striker up front in the last 5 mins... If we can do that from the get-go and find someone who can finish, we'll stay up.

Toon-cons?

Still giving the ball away too easily and losing in the air. Still having trouble beating the first man on corners, and wasting free kicks. Defense still having trouble linking up and moving forward, and still nobody up front worth a damn.

Post-match feelings?

Not nearly as gloom-and-doom as most on here, apparently. I'm not saying we played fantastically, by any stretch, but looking at it objectively, there were some promising signs that we may be able to turn around the season.