Scunthorpe vs Newcastle United - Pre-Match thread - 20/10/09, 7:45 KO

Ash

Scunny's centre backs get turned far far too easily. The best way to play against them is a nippy forward playing right on their shoulder.

How is R.Jones playing for Scunny? He had a really good season at Hibs last year.

Useless for the first few games. Came out and said that he was struggling to adapt to the pace of the Championship compared to the SPL. Then he headbutted a post, missed a game or two, and he's been rock solid since. Man of the match yesterday; won absolutely everything in the air.

As I said, he really does get turned too easily. Luckily Mirfin has the "Carvalho" talent of making last ditch tackles.

Harewood record in Championship is really impressive, see i choose not to judge him on 4 games, you cant play long balls up to him - he is not that sort of player.

Shola scoring a hat-trick honestly defies belief, was one of the worst hat-tricks have ever seen.  Took his eyes off the ball completely for the header ffs.  Have you forgotten what he was like at Stoke??

Niles, all around game, has been very impressive for his age.  Should continue to let him start, shows good promise and once one goes in, i reckon they will start to flow.

You can judge Harewood on what he was like 3/4 years ago, I'll judge him on what he's like now. Rubbish.

I'll do the same for Shola - on the evidence of what we've seen of him for NUFC this season, he'll be more dangerous than Harewood and Ranger.

I don't think I'm being too outrageous in suggesting so?

Agree with both points. Not seen anything of harewood to convince me he's anything other than terrible. Shola was indeed shite for his hat-trick but hopefully provide more goals when he's fit. I really think Ranger needs to start ahead of Harewood as his touch and aerial presence (albeit often flawed) is far superior to anyhthing Harewood has to offer

We havent gone infront with Harewood in the side in the past 4 games he's played. Even Ipswich we did nothing after he came on, now our worst 3 games in a row & he starts two of them.

Having won 7 of the 8 games before we win 0 in 3. Doubt its a massive coincidence.

Not going to make a massive judgement on things, but might be worth leaving him on the bench as he's hardly been helping matters tbh. He looks better than what he's actually giving us apparently.

Guest palnese

Him and Nolan were our worst players on saturday. Nolan has to play in that advanced role where he goes missing during the game, but still scores a lot of goals.

As for Guthrie, he is a waste of space out wide. Stick him in with Smith and move Taylor up a notch, and put Gezza on the right back.

I love how the games come thick and fast in this league.

The only downside is when you get two games in a week and win neither. I know this is away, but after a few shit results we really, really need a win here.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Gotta be

Harper

Simpson    Coloccini(?)  Khiz      Enrique

R.Taylor      Guthrie      Smith ©    Gutierrez

Harewood      Carroll

We need to get balls into the box and R.Taylor needs to be wide right to do this. I've included Gutierrez and he needs to run at the defenders and push them back. Guthrie should start in the centre of midfield where he is most comfortable alongside Smith. Nolan can't play this regularly and will be knackered within two  minutes if he starts against Scunny. Guthrie hasn't played regularly in the centre for us and he has licsence to support the front men with Smith holding

This game should be all about getting a message to Hughton not to accept the job!

You're obsessed with protesting chants :lol: They don't work!

"Oh no, the fans said I shouldn't take a well paid, full time manager's job. I best say no to Mike..."

Forgot this was tomorrow (today I guess now) I thought it was Wednesday.

Harper

R.Taylor--Simpson--Zurab--Jose

Guthrie--Smith--Nolan--Jonas

Carroll--Lovenkrands

...is what I'd go for, the team mostly picks itself with our injuries.  I've been critical of Lovenkrands but he should still have a chance to play upfront.  Scunthorpe is the perfect opportunity for him to show he is worthy of a striking place, as I think they've got a fairly leaky defence?

Think it will be 0-1 (Nolan) as well.

Guest Heneage

Ronaldo it wasn't long ago you were saying Carroll had to be in the team.

But he now doesn't because he's been performing shit...

Gotta be

Harper

Simpson     Coloccini(?)  Khiz       Enrique

R.Taylor      Guthrie      Smith ©    Gutierrez

Harewood      Carroll

We need to get balls into the box and R.Taylor needs to be wide right to do this. I've included Gutierrez and he needs to run at the defenders and push them back. Guthrie should start in the centre of midfield where he is most comfortable alongside Smith. Nolan can't play this regularly and will be knackered within two  minutes if he starts against Scunny. Guthrie hasn't played regularly in the centre for us and he has licsence to support the front men with Smith holding

I'd go for this, but start Lovenkrands instead of Harewood.

Ronaldo it wasn't long ago you were saying Carroll had to be in the team.

He deserved his chance on the strenth of the fact we had nobody else and he showed signs of promise. It would appear not to be happening for him though and we're in no position to be blooding poorly performing youngsters this season.

Why is it that strikers that don't chase down every ball get the 'lack of effort' label?

It's the same with Beckford, the abuse he got last night with ridiculous, till he scored.

It wasn't every ball though was it?  There was a couple of occasions where he lost the ball and he defender standing a couple of yards away had time to compose himself and make a clearance, Harewood didn't even have to run he just had to stick a foot in.  Maybe if Harewood had've scored I'd be of a different opinion, call it fickle but it's harder to excuse no effort AND no goals.