Newcastle United 2-1 Doncaster Rovers - 24/10/09 - post match reaction from p20

PM

Guthrie clearly could be prem quality, hes a decent player.

Colo is the main one out of those lot who was generally crap last season when he played.

Hopefully he'll get some confidence this season & do better if we get up again.

Harper

S Taylor

Coloccini

Enrique

Barton

Nolan

Guthrie

are premiership quality, the rest aren't at this moment in time.

Guthrie Premiership quality as in he could probably get in the Hull team?

He's been awful this season, yet people don't seem to care.

Guthrie has been miles from his best its true, and he's still got 4 assists and 1 goal despite playing in an unfamiliar position.  He's easily PL quality, I suppose you're going to say some Scunthorpe midfielder is twice the player he is though?

I think he's PL quality, although this season (albeit mostly playing out of position) he could have done better on occasions.

For some reason I think Guthrie is affected more by what goes on around him than most professionals and needs to strengthen mentally. He was affected badly by his penalty miss against Leicester and certainly seemed to be really badly affected by the Hull City debacle at home last year. He probably needs the  "supportive arm around the shoulder" type of management.

He always gives 100% and contributes a lot to the team. In a situation where all is going well and with a supportive crowd he could be very good, but he'll have to learn to also do it when things aren't going perfectly.

Guest toonlass

People forget how young Guthrie is, the same with Andy Carroll

:thup:

Yup and all the interviews with other players say that Guthrie is the quietest in the squad too.

Oh ?

Must admit, I thought he was late 20's.

And you're right about Carroll. Fall into that trap myself.

Sorry Chris, but you're thick as pig shit if you've seen replays of the incident and are astounded. At the game maybe aye, but the replays are clear as day. I really hope we don't appeal tbh, it'd be embarrassing as fuck.

Younger players don't usually hide from the game and I think Guthrie has done that at times. He did it last season as well, and whatever faults Andy Carroll has, you could never accuse him of going missing.

Younger players don't usually hide from the game and I think Guthrie has done that at times. He did it last season as well, and whatever faults Andy Carroll has, you could never accuse him of going missing.

I don't think Guthrie hid at all last season, he was one of the few who actually wanted the ball and tried to make things happen. Everton and Wigan away spring to mind. Compare that with someone of Nolan's experience who hid for most of the time last season.

I don't think Guthrie hid at all last season, he was one of the few who actually wanted the ball and tried to make things happen. Everton and Wigan away spring to mind. Compare that with someone of Nolan's experience who hid for most of the time last season.

Nolan just doesn't have the energy to get up and down the pitch, but he does get beyond the strikers regularly, something Guthrie doesn't do enough for me. I accept he's playing wide, but even when he's been given the central role, he's rarely got forward with intent. Shame as imo he's potentially a much better footballer than Nolan, but he hasn't really made it count for much yet.

United Lodge Khizanishvili Red Card Appeal

NEWCASTLE United have lodged an appeal with the FA over the red card issued to Zurab Khizanishvili on Saturday 24 October in the match against Doncaster Rovers.

Whilst not disputing the validity of the referee's decision in respect of the laws of the game, Newcastle United are of the opinion that the offence does not warrant the standard three-game suspension

As a result of the red card, the player will automatically miss United's game at Bramall Lane next Monday evening as a minimum punishment

The FA are due to consider the appeal on Tuesday, October 27.

:facepalm:

To be honest, i'd probably go with Kadar anyway. Khizanihvili is the absolute worst of the worst at CB.

Bollocks man, he's not that bad. If I remember rightly, Bristol City probably would have scored if it wasn't for him the other week.

What was the general atmosphere like towards Ashley yesterday? Did he get much grief?

Yeah. All those nasty words made him shit his pants and he's reduced his value to £20m and Moat's gonna offer it. Well done lads, the chanting finally worked :celb:

Fair enough, shouldn't bother then

I think it's well worth the appeal. If we win he'll be available, if we lose, chances are that Colo and Taylor will be back by the 4th game anyway.

As with regards to Guthrie, sometimes people are forgetting that he's being played out of position. He's not a wide midfielder, he's a centre midfielder; a position he hasnt played in since the back end of last season.

If we were to put him in the middle, i feel we'd see much more of the player he has the potential to be rather than out wide.