Sol Campbell joins on one-year contract

Ericz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The thing that worried me the most is the lack of pace in our defence apart from Enrique. Having said that I think S.Taylor, Campbell, Collocini, Enrique would be better than a lot of back fours in the Premiership if they could all stay fit. Taylor is prone to injury though and Campbell won't be able to play over 30 games I wouldn't imagine.

Campbell - second fastest player at Arsenal last season according to Wenger, only Walcott outsprinted him over distance.

This can't be true

The thing that worried me the most is the lack of pace in our defence apart from Enrique. Having said that I think S.Taylor, Campbell, Collocini, Enrique would be better than a lot of back fours in the Premiership if they could all stay fit. Taylor is prone to injury though and Campbell won't be able to play over 30 games I wouldn't imagine.

Campbell - second fastest player at Arsenal last season according to Wenger, only Walcott outsprinted him over distance.

That's about as likely as Yossi Benayoun bench pressing more than any Liverpool player at Melwood last season.

This can't be true

Really?

Campbell is faster than he looks, too. Despite his advancing years, last season Castrol measured the fastest Premier League players and incredibly the Englishman came second with a top speed of 22.5mph. Only Theo Walcott was faster.

Seemed to be covering ground well in the Champs League and Premiership games I saw him in, albeit only one or two.

EDIT: Some of the responses on here speak volumes about the poster's ability to read football matches.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Are you serious?

He was something like the third fastest player in the Premier League last season

Top 10 supposedly being

Walcott 22.72 mph

Campbell 22.50 mph

Drogba 22.27 mph

Torres 22.27 mph

Anelka 22.05 mph

Fabregas 22.05 mph

A Cole 22.05 mph

Clichy 21.82 mph

Rooney 21.82 mph

Gerrard 21.60 mph

Very dodgy

Seemed to remember he matched Gareth Bale 80 minutes in against Spurs.

That can't possibly be true, Sol Campbell is OLD therefore he must be SLOW! That's about as likely as Pilko winning 'dwarf of the year 2010'!

Top 10 supposedly being

Walcott 22.72 mph

Campbell 22.50 mph

Drogba 22.27 mph

Torres 22.27 mph

Anelka 22.05 mph

Fabregas 22.05 mph

A Cole 22.05 mph

Clichy 21.82 mph

Rooney 21.82 mph

Gerrard 21.60 mph

Very dodgy

:lol: Based on what, exactly? Your own scienitific readings? :lol:

Guest palnese

Top 10 supposedly being

Walcott 22.72 mph

Campbell 22.50 mph

Drogba 22.27 mph

Torres 22.27 mph

Anelka 22.05 mph

Fabregas 22.05 mph

A Cole 22.05 mph

Clichy 21.82 mph

Rooney 21.82 mph

Gerrard 21.60 mph

Very dodgy

:lol: Based on what, exactly? Your own scienitific readings? :lol:

;D

Guest Heneage

That list is surely pure poppycock.

Not one player outside the "big 4" is in the top 10.

Yes there is;

Gerrard- Liverpool.

:iamatwat:

Usain Bolt's world record time has him running at 23.35mph. If those readings are right (and I've done the calculation right :lol:), Sol Campbell could have been the 100m world record holder until the early 1980s - running it in 9.94s.

Impressive...

Guest palnese

There's a difference in top speed and acceleration as well people!!!!!!

Not in Fabregas case. He is slow as fuck.

Usain Bolt's world record time has him running at 23.35mph. If those readings are right (and I've done the calculation right :lol:), Sol Campbell could have been the 100m world record holder until the early 1980s - running it in 9.94s.

Impressive...

Acceleration is more important than top speed in the 100m actually. Sol Campbell isn't running at 22mph from the start.

This is a great signing. Showed that he could still do it for Arsenal, and I think he just genuinely wants to stay in the game for as long as possible, making him a possibility to become a coach for us in the long term given his familial situation. Gives an extra competent body where I don't envisage Taylor finding form until the new year.

He is one of England's finest ever centre backs, has great natural fitness, and has a physique our defence has missed since we lost Bramble.

He is a leader too, and can hopefully pass on stuff to the kids, and even to Steven Taylor who has probably missed having a mentor of sorts in the key years of his development, which made him not as good as he could have been.