Sol Campbell joins on one-year contract

Ericz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If his wages is detrimental to potential improvements elsewhere then we're shooting ourselves in the foot imo.

Of course, I think we're not stupid enough to play him crazy money...

Word on the street is 103k a week for the next 4 years.  Freddy Shepherd and his son worked on the contract.

Guest GeordieAce

Decent defender with vast experience and another addition to the squad. We need bodies if we are going to sustain Premiership status because I have a feeling were in for a long and scrappy season.

Thinking about it, where does this put Kadar?

Cover for Enrique.

Aye, I was thinking, but its a shame that he wont get a proper run in his natural position- a knack we seem to have with the younger lads. I'm glad we've signed Sol, but its a shame to see Kadar shunned...

LB is Kadar's natural position.

He's been linked with us every transfer window for the last few years, so its nice to finally get him. As said earlier, he's experienced, decent and played CL football last year. On a free, theres no risk here. Arsenal didn't sign him because he wanted a 2 year deal, so I imagine thats what he's getting here. Can't wait to see him link up with Annan  :rolleyes:

Welcome to the club, Sol.

Guest elbee909

Newcastle sign mental defender. Might as well get Joe Kinnear back again.

One mental defender, one mental midfielder.  Who've we got up front who's mental?

Cover for Enrique.

Aye, I was thinking, but its a shame that he wont get a proper run in his natural position- a knack we seem to have with the younger lads. I'm glad we've signed Sol, but its a shame to see Kadar shunned...

CB, innit?

Newcastle sign mental defender. Might as well get Joe Kinnear back again.

One mental defender, one mental midfielder.  Who've we got up front who's mental?

Carroll, silly.

Cover for Enrique.

CB, innit?

Was a LB when he came I think, but has looked more adept and natural at CB from what I've seen.

Cover for Enrique.

CB, innit?

I thought that too. Looks a lot more assured at centre back than left back.

Fairly certain I can remember him in an interview saying he considers himself a central defender, but I might be wrong.

In regards to Sol, I'm happy enough but I must continue my broken record and state he should have been here 5 years ago.

Cover for Enrique.

CB, innit?

IIRC he only started playing there when we were a bit injury struck. Could be he's better at CB, no doubt. But he started out as an LB and have classed himself a one in interviews (also IIRC).

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

He was playing between LB/CB at first (even before he joined us), but he's an out and out CB now, has been for a few years for us.

Fairly certain I can remember him in an interview saying he considers himself a central defender, but I might be wrong.

In regards to Sol, I'm happy enough but I must continue my broken record and state he should have been here 5 years ago.

I'd certainly see Kadar as a CB. The only reason he's more often played as a full back is there's less risk in putting an inexperienced player there.

I agree about Campbell. We've underestimated the value of an experienced player in that position. A weakness at CB can undo all the strengths elsewhere in the side.

I've often felt that the big missed chance was when Southgate became available from Villa a few years ago, but we didn't go for him because he was 30 and the club's policy was not to pay big money for older players. He signed for Boro for £6 million, and they reaped the benefits instead.

Anyway, after this signing, I feel reasonably confident about staying up, for the first time.

In the short term he's a better option than Williamson. So in light of Taylor's injury it's not a bad signing, providing the wages aren't going to deprive us of a new striker.

If the wages were going to deprive us of a new striker then I doubt we would even consider Sol tbh.

Edit - For the record I think Campbell is also still a better CB than Taylor at this moment in time.

Where did this getting "a new striker" come from?

We have

Carroll

Loven

Best

Ameobi

Where did this start?

Plus Smith (:shifty:) and Nolan playing off a lone front man. Unless someone rubbish becomes available on a free (ala Harewood) or there's a kid we can take on loan, I can't see us making any changes.