Sports Direct

Guest neesy111
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Got an email notification that my MP has signed the early day motion that David Clelland tabled about the name change. Nice one Ronnie Campbell.

What's an 'early day motion'?

Got an email notification that my MP has signed the early day motion that David Clelland tabled about the name change. Nice one Ronnie Campbell.

http://edmi.parliament.uk/edmi/

Early day motions (EDMs) are formal motions submitted for debate in the House of Commons. However, very few EDMs are actually debated. Instead, they are used for reasons such as publicising the views of individual MPs, drawing attention to specific events or campaigns, and demonstrating the extent of parliamentary support for a particular cause or point of view.

An MP can add their signature to an EDM to show their support. They can also submit amendments to an existing EDM. Although majority of EDMs are never debated, the group of EDMs known as 'prayers' may be debated. Prayers are motions to overturn Statutory Instruments (laws made by Ministers under powers deriving from Acts of Parliament).

http://edmi.parliament.uk/edmi/

Early day motions (EDMs) are formal motions submitted for debate in the House of Commons. However, very few EDMs are actually debated. Instead, they are used for reasons such as publicising the views of individual MPs, drawing attention to specific events or campaigns, and demonstrating the extent of parliamentary support for a particular cause or point of view.

An MP can add their signature to an EDM to show their support. They can also submit amendments to an existing EDM. Although majority of EDMs are never debated, the group of EDMs known as 'prayers' may be debated. Prayers are motions to overturn Statutory Instruments (laws made by Ministers under powers deriving from Acts of Parliament).

Cheers :thup:

Once Geremi and Butt go and we get a new shirt sponsor (because we were bringing in no cash per season from sponsorship due to Shepherd spending it all up front) we could be in £30m profit if we go straight back up this season.  That's without this whole whatever@St James Park thing.

Guest Roger Kint

Once Geremi and Butt go and we get a new shirt sponsor (because we were bringing in no cash per season from sponsorship due to Shepherd spending it all up front) we could be in £30m profit if we go straight back up this season.  That's without this whole whatever@St James Park thing.

Read that somewhere before on this page...... :shifty: ;D

On the flipside of that should we go up thats £40m for PL fees, new sponsorship, new shirt deal, Butt/Geremi leaving(almost £7m of the wages) all without doing anything. Ensuring that would eclipse the losses they brought onto us through relegation instead of bleating at how hard its been for them.

I'm actually quite positive about our finances if we go up.  Wage bill will be around 35M which is respectable.

Yes but the squad costing us around £35 million is nowhere near good enough for the Premiership.

Some of that £35m should overlap however.  While we certainly need to add some quality new players another important part of improving the squad should be replacing players with better ones, which won't always end up with an increased wage bill.

Can't have.. I read nearly the entire page before posting :)

Guest Roger Kint

The first post would have been enough ;D

The daily mash...always a classic. Particularly liked the bolded section.

NEWCASTLE TO RENAME STADIUM EVERY 30 SECONDS     

05-11-09 

NEWCASTLE United are to change the name of their historic St James's Park Stadium every 30 seconds, in accordance with the highest bidder.

The previous sign was torn down yesterday and replaced with a scrolling digital screen displaying the constantly changing adverts.

Since the sign was erected it has changed the name of the stadium to that of 12 local minicab firms, a kebab house and a firm that makes scrolling digital advertisement signs.

Club owner Mike Ashley said: "I have huge respect for the fans of this club and I know this will not change the atmosphere here at the - hang on, let's see - Gateshead Nissan Repair Garage Stadium."

He added: "The Jesmond Hair and Nail Salon Stadium remains one of the finest in the country and this new revenue will allow us to upgrade the Singh's Newsagent, Tobacconist and Fancy Gifts stand."

But angry fan Charlie Reeves said: "I'm going to have to buy 30 seconds on the scrolling digital sign just so I can rename it the I am Disgusted With This Scrolling Digital Sign Stadium.

"That said, I have also paid for 10 minutes of The Citroen Saxo, 86000 miles, nice little runner, £1200 ono Stadium."

Ashley said he hopes to have a permanent sponsor in place by next summer, adding: "A group of Sunderland businessmen has tabled a £30m offer, which means we can all look forward to many happy years at Alan Shearer is a Colossal Tit Park."

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/newcastle-to-rename-stadium-every-30-seconds-200911052203/

Naa can't agree with that :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

Naa can't agree with that :lol:

O0

Guest toonlass

05-11-09 

NEWCASTLE United are to change the name of their historic St James's Park Stadium every 30 seconds, in accordance with the highest bidder.

The previous sign was torn down yesterday and replaced with a scrolling digital screen displaying the constantly changing adverts.

Since the sign was erected it has changed the name of the stadium to that of 12 local minicab firms, a kebab house and a firm that makes scrolling digital advertisement signs.

Club owner Mike Ashley said: "I have huge respect for the fans of this club and I know this will not change the atmosphere here at the - hang on, let's see - Gateshead Nissan Repair Garage Stadium."

He added: "The Jesmond Hair and Nail Salon Stadium remains one of the finest in the country and this new revenue will allow us to upgrade the Singh's Newsagent, Tobacconist and Fancy Gifts stand."

But angry fan Charlie Reeves said: "I'm going to have to buy 30 seconds on the scrolling digital sign just so I can rename it the I am Disgusted With This Scrolling Digital Sign Stadium.

"That said, I have also paid for 10 minutes of The Citroen Saxo, 86000 miles, nice little runner, £1200 ono Stadium."

Ashley said he hopes to have a permanent sponsor in place by next summer, adding: "A group of Sunderland businessmen has tabled a £30m offer, which means we can all look forward to many happy years at Alan Shearer is a Colossal Tit Park."

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/newcastle-to-rename-stadium-every-30-seconds-200911052203/

:lol:

I'd also love to see 500 fans march into SportsDirect in Eldon Sq and chant all of the anti-Ashley things they can think of. It would have to be peaceful obviously but it would get a bit of publicity. The more negative pressure that's created the better. It might take a month or a year or 2 years but there's only so much he'd put up with before he just got so fed up he flogged us. 

thats quite a good idea. easier to get the numbers and cause a bit disruption. it would mean them having to get the police in to clear the protestors. you'd probably get a lot of shoppers joining in too. easier to organize than a huge demo at SJP and would cause more problems. still should have a protest at stadium, but the ones at the stores would allow those not comfortable joining in at the match to vent their spleen.

i was talking about this at work today,  500-1000 people walk into Sportsdirect at eldon square at midday on Sat afternoon and just sit down, block everything, tills, doors etc....no one can move in or out and nothing gets sold, then at 1pm everyone gets up and walks to SJP, join in any other protests, then goes to the match.

I feel like interrupting the operations of a business is something that warrants the intervention of police forces. Not sure this a bright idea.

Are you for real? This is Mike Ashley's business. f*** him. He has raped and destroyed this football club, why the heck should anyone care about his crappy sports shop business?

just cram a thousand people into his shop so no one can get in or move about or buy stuff. if anyone asks, just say you're 'browsing'.

yup

This whole re-naming business has become a fiasco, and is symptomatic of the kind of bumbling decision-making that this regime is prone to. Maybe Ashley is one of those difficult bosses who appears to be delegating, but who then intervenes without giving himself time to think or get to know the situation properly.

However, there are certain ideas about him that don't hold up, namely -

1) He's only in it for the money - all the evidence is that he's lost millions and is continuing to do so. The profit / loss account on transfers isn't the only indication of what's going on in the balance sheet. It's only the most conspicuous and the one we as fans care most about, because we all want to see good players coming in.

2) He's doing it all out of spite - as he's admitted himself, there have been cock-ups, not conspiracies. Just because you hate him, doesn't mean he hates you. Things can go tits up despite the best of intentions.

3) He never wanted to sell - He publicly named a price, he publicly dropped the price, no-one has claimed that they came up with the money. Our club is not an attractive proposition in a climate when money is tight and people are not keen on taking risks.

Above all, trying to force the guy out only makes sense if there's a better alternative available. You might say that things can't get any worse, but that's just a mantra to persuade yourself that the decision is easy. It's perfectly possible for things to get worse.

He so incompetent it appears malicious. He probably unwittingly guided by Satan, or a mackem demon.

i don't buy the 'he is doing it all out of spite' line, but i certainly do think the @ St James stunt has been done partly out of spite. He's not getting any revenue from it and i doubt a couple of months of derided sponsorship will do anything for his other company. Ashley has a track record for this kind of thing, calling his sports direct shareholders crybabies for instance, or ratting out Whelan and co, or mocking the fans in Dubai with his 'bring back the messiah' stuff. He probably thinks of himself as this dynamic, maverick outsider who is always sticking two fingers up at his opponents and getting the better of them. I think this is the latest example of that behaviour.

On the flipside of that should we go up thats £40m for PL fees, new sponsorship, new shirt deal, Butt/Geremi leaving(almost £7m of the wages) all without doing anything. Ensuring that would eclipse the losses they brought onto us through relegation instead of bleating at how hard its been for them.

I'm actually quite positive about our finances if we go up.  Wage bill will be around 35M which is respectable.

Yes but the squad costing us around £35 million is nowhere near good enough for the Premiership.

but plenty of room to move to bring in new faces and plan it right this time so no daftly sized wage bill arrives again.

05-11-09 

You might not believe this, but for 40 days in 2005, the Boston Celtics' stadium was renamed every single day according to the highest bid on ebay for the naming rights for that day. :kinnear:

05-11-09 

You might not believe this, but for 40 days in 2005, the Boston Celtics' stadium was renamed every single day according to the highest bid on ebay for the naming rights for that day. :kinnear:

Please delete this post before someone at the club reads it. wouldnt want them getting ideas...