Lee Clark is the old Blackpool manager

Guest toonlass

Just displaying the faults of an 'unbeaten run'. I doubt Perugia fans look back at their 'invincible' side, more likely they look back at too many draws costing their only ever chance of a title.

aye i'm sure they're absolutely livid they managed to finish 2nd :lol: bet they wanted to fire the manager as well.

Just displaying the faults of an 'unbeaten run'. I doubt Perugia fans look back at their 'invincible' side, more likely they look back at too many draws costing their only ever chance of a title.

aye i'm sure they're absolutely livid they managed to finish 2nd :lol: bet they wanted to fire the manager as well.

I bet they wished they'd had more wins and less draws, same as the Huddersfield fans.

I bet they wished they'd had more wins and less draws, same as the Huddersfield fans.

Nah, i doubt any fan would prefer their club had won more games. highly unlikely.

Bit of a difference finishing 2nd in the country, and losing out on promotion to clubs like Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Peterborough when you've spent more on a few players than their all time record signings.

You cannot really look at it like that though, unless the club has actually been playing for draws.

Nah, i doubt any fan would prefer their club had won more games. highly unlikely.

Not sure what you're cracking on about here like. Fact is unbeaten runs mean fuck all if you're ending up on not enough points to achieve your goals, which is what Huddesfield under Clark have done 2 seasons in a row.

They spent £2 million in transfer fees this season btw, that's a fucking shitload by League One standards.

Not sure what you're cracking on about here like. Fact is unbeaten runs mean fuck all if you're ending up on not enough points to achieve your goals, which is what Huddesfield under Clark have done 2 seasons in a row.

They spent £2 million in transfer fees this season btw, that's a fucking shitload by League One standards.

It seems like you're attacking a straw man  :dontknow: No one said an unbeaten run was the be all and end all, but it's still a highly impressive achievement nonetheless. I can't speak for perugia fans, but i know i look back with fondness when we finished 2nd under keegan, despite missing out on "our target".

As for Clark, he's clearly a good manager, they're competing for the top spots and have been very very close for the past few seasons, and would've been this one too. the line between success and failure has been very fine for them. even crap managers can maroon good sides in mid-table after spending a lot of money - just look at souness with us. but similarly he's not proved he's exceptional or anything.

if anything i'd say he's over-rated not because of huddersfield's promotion failure but because of his style of play - they have a very direct, overly aggressive style and with the funds and time i would've liked to see them emphasise skill and possession more to truly make their advantage count. if you play physical, direct football you, to an extent, play into the hands of less talented sides who can try and match your commitment and aggression.

Mental. Who exactly are they going to get that will give them a better chance of gaining promotion? Can't see them getting Warnock or McCarthy (Grayson perhaps), but imo they've just gifted automatic promotion to one of the Sheffield teams there.

Tbf they sold Pilkington and Peltier for about £3 million as well.

Mental. Who exactly are they going to get that will give them a better chance of gaining promotion? Can't see them getting Warnock or McCarthy (Grayson perhaps), but imo they've just gifted automatic promotion to one of the Sheffield teams there.

You just named someone who's done it twice in the same amount of time with less funds.

It seems like you're attacking a straw man  :dontknow: No one said an unbeaten run was the be all and end all, but it's still a highly impressive achievement nonetheless. I can't speak for perugia fans, but i know i look back with fondness when we finished 2nd under keegan, despite missing out on "our target".

You're the one that's being pointlessly sarcastic over my Perugia example. Wasn't even that relevant, just an interesting and extreme example of why unbeaten runs don't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

As for Clark, he's clearly a good manager, they're competing for the top spots and have been very very close for the past few seasons, and would've been this one too. the line between success and failure has been very fine for them. even crap managers can maroon good sides in mid-table after spending a lot of money - just look at souness with us. but similarly he's not proved he's exceptional or anything.

if anything i'd say he's over-rated not because of huddersfield's promotion failure but because of his style of play - they have a very direct, overly aggressive style and with the funds and time i would've liked to see them emphasise skill and possession more to truly make their advantage count. if you play physical, direct football you, to an extent, play into the hands of less talented sides who can try and match your commitment and aggression.

Whey why didn't you just say that first time up. I agree.  :lol: I mentioned his style earlier in the thread btw.