Our fans are clearly the best in the land...

Heron

I thought it was a very poor crowd whatever the circumstances. So strange that 20 years ago an FA cup game would guarantee a much higher crowd than an equivalent league game ??

We get consistently excellent crowds for league games but to consider ourselves as the best fans in  the land is self congratulatory nonsense. We're no better than the fans who watch Darlington or Macclesfield.

Credit to those who turned out last night but our singers (Gallowgate corner last night) are frankly boring and repetitive and the support is sporadic and unconvincing. No originality and not much real passion either.

And as for the fat kid who was stripped to the waist and spent most of the evening back to the pitch goading the Plymouth fans (excellent support from them) with his juvenile chums, well that was just embarrassing, like something you'd expect at a 4th division or non league match.

Guest Roger Kint

Wednesday night, crappy replay against a crappy Championship team. It's cold, the chances of us playing a weakened team was high - what do people expect? A 52000 sell-out?

Have a word man, all cup attendance are low these days

Factor in:

Many(me included) wont give Ashley a penny more

Midweek crowds lose those who are working shifts

Shitty weather especially for those who live a little further and didnt want to risk it just in case

Crap opposition

We have made wholesale changes to each cup team this season, who knows would would have been picked(especially if Reading wasnt called off)

Most dont care about the cups, only promotion

generally couldnt be arsed

Guest Roger Kint

Oh and if crowd size matter so much you can always remind yourself that sunderland got 25000 for their 3rd round game against Barrow who took upwards of 9000 to the game so its pretty much on a par.......

Fact is its no crime to choose not to go these days, if i hadnt done the 3 year deal i may well have missed a few this season if am honest, decline in our position is natural. I would have prefered nobody went out of spite  ;D

Really, really give a s***.  Why has this become a major talking point?  It makes me laugh that fans use it as something to get at each other.  It's f***ing pathetic when you think about it.

it's not pathetic at all, it's for the most part all fans have. few teams will win anything, marginally more will start the season thinking they can win something so the comradre and loyalty of it is all there is.

Fuck me, is that a joke? Am I missing something?

Basically you think fuck all about the team, the football etc. You just want to turn up and stand in the same place as 40k+ other people each weekend?

The thread title is massively embarassing. So fuck we have bigger attendance than most the country, does it make us better fans? Not really. But what is really cringeworthy is to bang on (rightly or wrongly) about being amazing fans, having class attendances, and then bring out a load of excuses when we get a proper shit gate.

.com for example says "Post-Christmas belt-tightening, unattractive opposition, poor weather leading to doubts over the game, more interesting home league fixtures on sale or an anti-Ashley boycott? All of the above we'd wager... " Yeah ok, they might be right on each count, but if we weren't always banging on about big gates then we wouldn't have to trot out shite excuses like this. Proper SMB craic imo going on about attendance.

Oh and if crowd size matter so much you can always remind yourself that sunderland got 25000 for their 3rd round game against Barrow who took upwards of 9000 to the game so its pretty much on a par.......

Fact is its no crime to choose not to go these days, if i hadnt done the 3 year deal i may well have missed a few this season if am honest, decline in our position is natural. I would have prefered nobody went out of spite  ;D

That figure was ridiculed on this message board, so when its our turn why do people get so defensive?  I hate all this best fans in the land nonsense

Guest Roger Kint

That figure was ridiculed on this message board, so when its our turn why do people get so defensive?  I hate all this best fans in the land nonsense

Exactly, does it really matter in the end? Nope

Ian w

Absolutely correct there. Considering the circumstances the club have been in, to have something like the third best average home attendance in the country in testament to the quality of the fans.

I dont blame people for not going last night. Cold weather, the cup and the opposition were to blame for that. However, I would not be surprised in the least to see 50,000 at SJP on Monday night.

Guest Haris Vuckic

18 page thread on the SMB  :doh:

In my opinion there was just 37k who knew better than to go.

The F.A cup has nothing to do with us this season and I would rather concentrate on the league.

Guest Brummiemag

Sadly the poor crowd reflects the views of a lot of people on this message board, basically that they don't really care that much about the FA Cup any more, concentrate on the League etc etc.

Credit to the 15,000 who do care enough about it though and no doubt several thousand will make the trip to WBA next week.

Lets hope Houghton puts out a full strengh team for the WBA cup game, because if he does then we have every chance of getting to the last 16, and with Man U and Liverpool out, and Arsenal playing a reserve team we must have a decent chance of progressing to the latter stages of this great competition.   

Guest toonlass

I think considering what we have been through as fans in the last couple of years, and even longer with Fat Fred at the helm, the fact that we got nearly 50,000 fans in the league just before Christmas is more of a reflection than last nights attendance. Remember that Sunderland only got 25,000 for a saturday cup game and nearly 9,000 of them were Barrow fans. That from a Premiership team who were in the top half of the table. How many Plymouth fans were there last night? Liverpool had 31,000 fans at Anfield last night and considering that their fans would have expected to wallop Reading, and they are still a successful Premiership team (despite this season's performance) that is nowhere near a full house.

I reckon we will sell plenty of tickets for the West Brom game on monday and can almost guarantee a sell-out away at West Brom the following saturday. Its quality not quantity that counts anyway.

I just wonder if those who don't care about the FA Cup , turned up to a semi final at wembley or a final if we got there. ( Not going to happen , but I'm sure there views would change ).

i doubt they would. it's just like saying if we were 1 point ahead going into the last game of the season against the team in second place would people be more b othered about that or an FA CUP SEMI FINAL ?

Just to touch on the atmosphere last night . Fair play to those who stood up in the SE Corner and sang there hearts out , so be it , they were very repetitive and squeeky but who cares really.

One thing which does concern me about our support , is fully grown men , with there shirts off trying to encourage the younger generation of support to be just as embarrasing as themselves . Three young lasses about 15/16 , looked like they had just been doon Pink Lane got so much abuse from not only the youngsters in the corner but actually alot of fully grown men , a lad just behind me I would like to guess at saying he's 30 years old , with 5 or 6 of his mates all in the same age bracket , chanting to the girls , " Youve got clymidia " , " Get your tits out " , " Do you take it up the arse " etc . . . howay man grow up please.

I just wonder if those who don't care about the FA Cup , turned up to a semi final at wembley or a final if we got there. ( Not going to happen , but I'm sure there views would change ).

i doubt they would. it's just like saying if we were 1 point ahead going into the last game of the season against the team in second place would people be more b othered about that or an FA CUP SEMI FINAL ?

That is the WORST comparison I have quite possibly ever heard , if anyone had a brain they would go to both surely?

15,000 ?

Not too good - but I'm sure we'll have some on here flogging themselves about how hypocritical we are, etc etc ad naseum.

Fair bit of it on here, notice ?

The press will do it for you anyways.

18 page thread on the SMB  :doh:

In my opinion there was just 37k who knew better than to go.

The F.A cup has nothing to do with us this season and I would rather concentrate on the league.

I have no problem with them doing what we do when the roles are reversed.

Guest toonlass

Just to touch on the atmosphere last night . Fair play to those who stood up in the SE Corner and sang there hearts out , so be it , they were very repetitive and squeeky but who cares really.

One thing which does concern me about our support , is fully grown men , with there shirts off trying to encourage the younger generation of support to be just as embarrasing as themselves . Three young lasses about 15/16 , looked like they had just been doon Pink Lane got so much abuse from not only the youngsters in the corner but actually alot of fully grown men , a lad just behind me I would like to guess at saying he's 30 years old , with 5 or 6 of his mates all in the same age bracket , chanting to the girls , " Youve got clymidia " , " Get your tits out " , " Do you take it up the arse " etc . . . howay man grow up please.

That's just horrible. Poor lasses.

People using the cold as an excuse. Fuckin hell! It was a pathetic crowd, and very hard to defend.

I wonder how many who made the effort last night would manage to get it ticket if we got to Wembley. No doubt all the season ticket holders who couldnt be arsed to support their team last night would return?

Most of the excuses are shit. It was a pathetic crowd for any 1st team game. We should accept it.

Guest toonlass

People using the cold as an excuse. Fuckin hell! It was a pathetic crowd, and very hard to defend.

I wonder how many who made the effort last night would manage to get it ticket if we got to Wembley. No doubt all the season ticket holders who couldnt be arsed to support their team last night would return?

Most of the excuses are shit. It was a pathetic crowd for any 1st team game. We should accept it.

I reckon it would go on the current points system, and that means the fans who are season ticket holders who go to away games would get priority. Aye the crowd was crap but people have shelled out a lot of money over the past few seasons to follow this team, if they chose not to go to a home game on a wednesday night with no guarantee of seeing anything better than reserves why should they fork out £15-£20 to do it.

That stuff chanted at the girls is just embarrassing. Although with cup games you always get the charvas. Back at an old UEFA Cup game there was a right charva mob. The ringleader made a big song and dance about how he was going to eat a lump of 'tac'. After 60 minutes, two stewards carried him out as the kid was completely monged. Morons.

I believe the fans should be allowed one p1ss poor crowd, considering how they've turned out home and away this season (better than all but top 4 Prem league)

Admittedly, I thought the appeal of wanting to find Paul Whitehouse and bash his face in would be an attraction, but still....

Guest guinness_fiend

Sadly the poor crowd reflects the views of a lot of people on this message board, basically that they don't really care that much about the FA Cup any more, concentrate on the League etc etc.

Credit to the 15,000 who do care enough about it though and no doubt several thousand will make the trip to WBA next week.

Lets hope Houghton puts out a full strengh team for the WBA cup game, because if he does then we have every chance of getting to the last 16, and with Man U and Liverpool out, and Arsenal playing a reserve team we must have a decent chance of progressing to the latter stages of this great competition.   

This.  We're on for the double!

Guest Roger Kint

I for one dont care, i wont give Ashley a penny over the 3 year ticket i got 18 months ago and regardless of the match will not be there at home. I will continue to try for away cup games(as long as that turdhole KC Stadium isnt one again) when i can  though