Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

Frightening that he's 6 years younger than Giggs. Criminal waste of opportunity that he's happy to sit on his arse, genuinely makes me angry.

Yep, totally lost his desire.

I wonder what the tipping point was or when.

About the time he realised he could get lots of monies and not do anything to get them i would think.....

Frightening that he's 6 years younger than Giggs. Criminal waste of opportunity that he's happy to sit on his arse, genuinely makes me angry.

Not being wanted at Madrid, think it blew something in him, not his confidence, but something else. He was still scoring goals but for the first time in his career goals just wasn't enough. I still don't think he quite gets it even now, during his time at us it was always 'i score goals if given the chance' and 'wherever i am i score goals' and that is all that mattered to him, but others didn't share the same view.

Agree with this.  He should just retire, his ego won't allow him to drop a division or play for a club that he deems aren't big enough for him.

I feel sorry for him really.

In what why?

In the sense he could have been one of the finest strikers ever to play for England and broke all sort of records for club and country. However from an early age, injuries have ruined any sort of chance he had.

Yeah he's made an absolute fortune from the game and he owns a few fast horses but i'm sure he will still be thinking what could have been had he not got these injuries which turned him into a money grabbing heartless cunt.

No denying a young Michael Owen absolutly loved playing football and scoring goals. That desire has now almost gone completely. He shouldn't even step foot on a pitch again.

I feel sorry for him really.

In what why?

In the sense he could have been one of the finest strikers ever to play for England and broke all sort of records for club and country. However from an early age, injuries have ruined any sort of chance he had.

Yeah he's made an absolute fortune from the game and he owns a few fast horses but i'm sure he will still be thinking what could have been had he not got these injuries which turned him into a money grabbing heartless c***.

No denying a young Michael Owen absolutly loved playing football and scoring goals. That desire has now almost gone completely. He shouldn't even step foot on a pitch again.

Fair point...he still had a lot going for him when he joined us.  Like others have said, maybe the Real rejection fucked his mind up but not just Real, Liverpool wouldnt pay to have him back.  So its a double whammy.

He ended up with his third choice.

Guest Howaythetoon

I reckon it was a culmination of being sort of 'forced' into joining us and the injury he suffered at the World Cup. That said he didn't have to join and when he played for us after joining, he was generally our best player and under KK specifically he looked every inch the Michael Owen which cost us a record transfer fee.

His career has been in the main a total waste given the ability he had, his age even now and the player he once was. He made the wrong choice joining Real who were always only going to use him as a squad player. He should have stayed at Liverpool and become a club legend there. Instead he is loathed at Anfield and considered a joke in general nowadays. Even his old pal Alan Shearer decided to drop him towards the end of his time here.

Still, when he first broke onto the scene he was an incredible talent and absolutely destroyed back-fours, our own most notably at SJP. That Michael Owen if the pace and fitness had of remained, and had he cultivated and honed other skills and techniques, would have been a huge huge force. As it was, once his pace went and that fitness started to dip, all he had in his locker was exellent movement and position and an above average finishing ability. Basically nowt special.

I know he's a cunt and all that but from a fans' perspective of football its a shame what has happened to him in terms of football and probably his attitude towards it.  Obviously I hope the runt crashes and burns in whatever he does but it doesn't please when I think back to the Owen who scored THATtm goal against Argentina to the Owen today, such a waste in every sense.

Fuck him though.