Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

You're one of the best posters on here but that last line is just wrong.

The first part of that sentence is right. :thup:

Nah, great footballers have enough about them to survive a decline in pace. Like Ronaldo did.

You're one of the best posters on here but that last line is just wrong.

The first part of that sentence is right. :thup:

Nah, great footballers have enough about them to survive a decline in pace. Like Ronaldo did.

He was great from 98-04 at what he did. One of the best. Just because it went tits up after that (although he still scored fairly regular up to Dec 08, doesn't hide that.

He's here in Australia for the Melbourne Cup - mate of mine just posted a pic on Facebook, to which I replied "They'll let any scumbag into Flemington, it seems. Clearly no Toon fans around if it can walk around without fear."

He then proceeds to tell me that Owen was the best player we ever had after David Ginola.

:explode:

Fucking Spuds fan, no fucking idea

He was 1 in 2 pretty much every season he played a good amount of games in.

In his club career he's got 222 goals in 482 appearances. That's pretty bloody good.

Technically, like any L'pool youth academy product he was sound. Zidane he was not but his all-round game was leagues ahead of the likes of Defoe, Bent or Cisse. A better striker and footballer than the likes of Pippo Inzaghi imo.

He wasnt technically good at all. If he was, his loss of pace wouldnt have detracted from his game so much. And he was also extremely one footed. He was an instinctive finisher with pace in his prime. That's basically all there was to him.

Actually I was quite impressed by his technical ability and his reading of the game. I was more suprised by how many chances he missed during a game, for a poacher.

It was his attitude that let him down here.

Had one of his horses running in the Melbourne cup Brown Panther. I had a each way bet on it too, Let down again by Mr Owen

This is no word of a lie: you do know the horse pulled up with an injury?  :lol:

• 3 months later...

He's on the money, the reasonable b******. Die in a fire you even handed prick.

You are taking the piss.

We've got a good scouting system, big money signings hadn't worked out for us, we're 8th in the league which isn't that bad, our fans are more unhappy when we're losing, his own stint here didn't work out, we can't compete with the mega-rich clubs, and he had no problems with Kinnear but felt he was from a bygone era.

Controversial.

We've got a good scouting system, big money signings hadn't worked out for us, we're 8th in the league which isn't that bad, our fans are more unhappy when we're losing, his own stint here didn't work out, we can't compete with the mega-rich clubs, and he had no problems with Kinnear but felt he was from a bygone era.

Controversial.

OK, I'll bite.  One of our most expensive players was Shearer and he worked out perfectly for us, it was never what we paid, it was who we bought.  We're 8th in the league and I refuse to accept that is our level while Everton are in the top 6, something which he seems to think is beyond us, if they can do it then we should be able to.  Our fans being more unhappy when we lose is the same as the fans of every other competitive team sport so why even mention it?  As for mega rich clubs, look at Everton.  You don't even have to look at Everton, look at who won both domestic cups last season.

:jesuswept:

Controversial.

OK, I'll bite.  One of our most expensive players was Shearer and he worked out perfectly for us, it was never what we paid, it was who we bought.  We're 8th in the league and I refuse to accept that is our level while Everton are in the top 6, something which he seems to think is beyond us, if they can do it then we should be able to.  Our fans being more unhappy when we lose is the same as the fans of every other competitive team sport so why even mention it?  As for mega rich clubs, look at Everton.  You don't even have to look at Everton, look at who won both domestic cups last season.

So you're quibbling over not being 2 places higher in the league. Want us to return to the transfer policies that brought us Owen, Martins, and relegation. Not concentrating enough on the cups. And denying the cringe-worthy, spiteful, echo chamber this place becomes when we lose a few on the bounce?

Yeah, he's the one in the wrong here.

Controversial.

So you're quibbling over not being 2 places higher in the league. Want us to return to the transfer policies that brought us Owen, Martins, and relegation. Not concentrating enough on the cups. And denying the cringe-worthy, spiteful, echo chamber this place becomes when we lose a few on the bounce?

What a load of bollocks, you're just invented something I haven't said and Everton are 5th which is 3 places higher and they're in a position to qualify for Europe which is hardly quibbling.

Controversial.

What a load of bollocks, you're just invented something I haven't said and Everton are 5th which is 3 places higher and they're in a position to qualify for Europe which is hardly quibbling.

Oh, so where we finished not even two years ago.