Did Wolves concede the game to Man Utd

cp40

Arsene Wenger, of Carling Cup fame, has hit out at Wolves:

We now have to compete with Manchester United over 37 games instead of 38. It affects the international reputation of the league. It's not a problem for me, just a Premier League issue. The Premier League should sort it out.

It's completely different playing a second string in a competition that mean the least of the cups in the English League. He's quite right. He and Ancellotti should expect McCarthy to field a second 11 when he plays them next time, in fact why don't all the bottom 6 do the same and field weakened sides against the top 6? I mean they won't win against the top 6 so why try?

Do you really want to see that?

We now have to compete with Manchester United over 37 games instead of 38. It affects the international reputation of the league. It's not a problem for me, just a Premier League issue. The Premier League should sort it out.

It's completely different playing a second string in a competition that mean the least of the cups in the English League. He's quite right. He and Ancellotti should expect McCarthy to field a second 11 when he plays them next time, in fact why don't all the bottom 6 do the same and field weakened sides against the top 6? I mean they won't win against the top 6 so why try?

Do you really want to see that?

Who's he to say what competition is important and what's not?

McCarthy took that decision on this occasion and I back him because he obviously thinks that's the best decision in the long-run.

Guest Roger Kint

What was the team sheet Gullit put out away to Man Utd in November 1998? Someone at work seemed to think he put out a weak team but i cant find the team sheet anywhere :undecided:

Can't believe Wenger is having the nerve to have a go. Typical of him really. How can he not see how hypocritical it is for him to say anything.

Arsenals second string isn't a bad team tbf. And they at least try to win their matches, plus they have some first teamers mixed in for experience. They don't really care if they get knocked out of the mickey mouse cup, aye. But they, as any football club should, still try to get as far as they can.

Guest firetotheworks

I wonder if the match would have got so much attention if it was Man Utd who had fielded 10 new players...

McCarthy obviously knew that there was no chance of getting a point at Old Trafford and therefore rested his players for the important game against Burnley...

Thats such a simple but mint point actually. Why is it worse to accept defeat and rest the team for the next match than to accept victory and rest the team for the next match?

I wonder if the match would have got so much attention if it was Man Utd who had fielded 10 new players...

McCarthy obviously knew that there was no chance of getting a point at Old Trafford and therefore rested his players for the important game against Burnley...

Thats such a simple but mint point actually. Why is it worse to accept defeat and rest the team for the next match than to accept victory and rest the team for the next match?

You're asking why its worse to accept defeat than to go for victory ?

Guest firetotheworks

No, to presume victory.

Looks like Everton made lots of changes tonight. Disgraceful.

Everton are thorugh, BATE cannot get through. Unless you put money on it, there is absolutely nothing at stake. Wolves shouldn't be punished, but their actions are disgraceful. Wenger is right, it is not fair to the other teams in the league when clubs are purposely falling over and dying. Chelsea played the bottom team last night and were made to work hard. I suppose Wolves couldn't have done the same? Very unfair, imo.

No, to presume victory.

Dont see the difference

You put out a side you think realistically capable of a victory & you're going for the points. Thats the whole point of the game.

If you have sides lower in the league giving up in advance that just ruins the point of them even playing eachother. Seems obvious why thats worse.

Looks like Everton made lots of changes tonight. Disgraceful.

Different scenario. Different approach to the game. Different attitude on the pitch. Pretty much nothing similar.

Manager decides what team to pick based on his opinion of the importance of the match.

It's no different at all.

As I've already said - I expect every team-sheet to now be scrutinised. Resting numerous players = enquiry. The PL have set a dangerous precedent.

And it's absolutely ludicrous.

It is. The Premier League are meddling in affairs that should frankly have nothing to do with them. The only people McCarthy should have to answer to, if any, are the fans.

As I've already said - I expect every team-sheet to now be scrutinised. Resting numerous players = enquiry. The PL have set a dangerous precedent.

It is. The Premier League are meddling in affairs that should frankly have nothing to do with them. The only people McCarthy should have to answer to, if any, are the fans.

Do they only support the club if all of the top players are taking part? 

I empathise with the fans from a personal point of view: spending that money and time to go there to be given a line-up that smells of "we're not going to win this, why bother?". My point is that McCarthy is well within his rights to give that line-up: his aim is to stay up, and that means considering the long-term, i.e. a 38-game season.

Ultimately, fans should support the club, not just the starting XI, yes.

My irony-o-meter is going into overdrive.

I empathise with the fans from a personal point of view: spending that money and time to go there to be given a line-up that smells of "we're not going to win this, why bother?". My point is that McCarthy is well within his rights to give that line-up: his aim is to stay up, and that means considering the long-term, i.e. a 38-game season.

Ultimately, fans should support the club, not just the starting XI, yes.

I was in complete agreement with you. :thup:

Fans should support the club, regardless of who starts the game. I'd like to think they could see where McCarthy was coming from and understand his logic.