Man City sack Mark Hughes; Roberto Mancini is the replacement

Thespence

I think Mancini might have had problems taking over from Hughes a couple of years ago, but the squad is multi national now with lots of world stars so it's going to be similar to Ancelotti taking over at Chelsea, I don't see any problems. Hughes was much more basic and seemed at home with British players and a more direct style...too many nationalities from different football cultures seems to have led to a confused style of play with no one really 100% happy as a result.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/mancity/6850311/Kevin-Keegan-fumes-over-Mark-Hughes-sacking-at-Manchester-City.html

Keegan gives his view on the sacking of Hughes. I think he's right with the opinion that the statement is more like the one of a business rather than the one of a footbal club.

Kevin Keegan fumes over Mark Hughes sacking at Manchester City

Former Manchester City manager Kevin Keegan has criticised Mark Hughes's dismissal, claiming the club's Middle East owners have pulled the trigger too quickly.

By Giles Mole

Published: 11:42AM GMT 20 Dec 2009

Raging: Kevin Keegan believes Mark Hughes' sacking a mistake Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Hughes was sacked and replaced by former Inter Milan coach Roberto Mancini, despite leading the team to sixth spot in the Premier League.

Keegan, Manchester City manager between 2001 and 2005, feels the club's Abu Dhabi owners, who have spent over £200 million on new players, wanted to appoint their own manager.

"He wasn't appointed by these people and that's the big problem," said Keegan. "They want their own man in.

"When you read the statement (which announced Hughes's sacking), it's not that of a real football club, it's that of a business.

"Although it's very cold and clinical and business-like, for me, it's not enough time for this man to even stamp any sort of authority on this club."

Joe Royle, who managed City from 1998 to 2001, said: "They had a big (League Cup semi-final) game with Manchester United to come, they've just beaten Chelsea and prior to last week had only lost one game, in the 94th minute at Old Trafford.

"You don't change from an indifferent side to a totally winning side overnight. And I thought, okay it stalled a little bit, but at least you could see progress.

"You wonder how many of the players Mark Hughes has bought he (Mancini) fancies. Does there have to be another wholesale change?"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/mancity/6850311/Kevin-Keegan-fumes-over-Mark-Hughes-sacking-at-Manchester-City.html

Keegan gives his view on the sacking of Hughes. I think he's right with the opinion that the statement is more like the one of a business rather than the one of a footbal club.

Former Manchester City manager Kevin Keegan has criticised Mark Hughes's dismissal, claiming the club's Middle East owners have pulled the trigger too quickly.

By Giles Mole

Published: 11:42AM GMT 20 Dec 2009

Raging: Kevin Keegan believes Mark Hughes' sacking a mistake Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Hughes was sacked and replaced by former Inter Milan coach Roberto Mancini, despite leading the team to sixth spot in the Premier League.

Keegan, Manchester City manager between 2001 and 2005, feels the club's Abu Dhabi owners, who have spent over £200 million on new players, wanted to appoint their own manager.

"He wasn't appointed by these people and that's the big problem," said Keegan. "They want their own man in.

"When you read the statement (which announced Hughes's sacking), it's not that of a real football club, it's that of a business.

"Although it's very cold and clinical and business-like, for me, it's not enough time for this man to even stamp any sort of authority on this club."

Joe Royle, who managed City from 1998 to 2001, said: "They had a big (League Cup semi-final) game with Manchester United to come, they've just beaten Chelsea and prior to last week had only lost one game, in the 94th minute at Old Trafford.

"You don't change from an indifferent side to a totally winning side overnight. And I thought, okay it stalled a little bit, but at least you could see progress.

"You wonder how many of the players Mark Hughes has bought he (Mancini) fancies. Does there have to be another wholesale change?"

What's there for anyone to rage about? City have been happy to spend the Sheikh's money and buy the big name players, obviously if he's stumping up big money he's going to want a say.

Might all be very 'cold and clinical' but then so was Hughes' shameless unsettling of Lescott; no moral high ground here for Hughes, just part of a business.

Like Sad Allardyce that was Hughesie shot a big club & he made a fucking hash of if it all goes tits up for Megson he could be in there.

Don't think you could say he made a hash of it, he was sacked far too early after not doing much wrong. His main weakness was that he isn't glamorous.

His reputation is completely intact and he'll probably walk into another good job pretty soon.

His team setup was awful, was it a bad 433 or a wonky 442. He signed players what looked like just because he could. He could never work out the best formation or players to use away from home. Him not using Elano last season was crazy.

He didn't have a clue what to do with Robhino either. I'd have had more respect for him if he just left him out the side than bung him into the line up somewhere and hope for the best.

Good stuff in the Guardian.

Roy Hodgson is a canny manager. OK, we already knew that. But on the weekend in which many folk unhappy with events at Manchester City praised Mark Hughes for using almost a quarter of a billion pounds to assemble an error-prone, often spiritless and shapeless side, it was pleasing to see a manager beat the champions with a team featuring many modestly priced players who were considered surplus to requirements at their previous clubs – and all just a few days after qualifying for the next stage of the Europa League, participation in which was supposed to ruin Fulham this season.