Man City sack Mark Hughes; Roberto Mancini is the replacement

Thespence

Good stuff in the Guardian.

Roy Hodgson is a canny manager. OK, we already knew that. But on the weekend in which many folk unhappy with events at Manchester City praised Mark Hughes for using almost a quarter of a billion pounds to assemble an error-prone, often spiritless and shapeless side, it was pleasing to see a manager beat the champions with a team featuring many modestly priced players who were considered surplus to requirements at their previous clubs and all just a few days after qualifying for the next stage of the Europa League, participation in which was supposed to ruin Fulham this season.

It would be interesting to have got the Guardian's opinion when Hodgson was sacked by Blackburn. I don't recall him having many supporters then.

Roy Hodgson is a canny manager. OK, we already knew that. But on the weekend in which many folk unhappy with events at Manchester City praised Mark Hughes for using almost a quarter of a billion pounds to assemble an error-prone, often spiritless and shapeless side, it was pleasing to see a manager beat the champions with a team featuring many modestly priced players who were considered surplus to requirements at their previous clubs and all just a few days after qualifying for the next stage of the Europa League, participation in which was supposed to ruin Fulham this season.

It would be interesting to have got the Guardian's opinion when Hodgson was sacked by Blackburn. I don't recall him having many supporters then.

Maybe not but he had a good reputation before that, and his Fulham side play good technical football which is easy on the eye. He's earned his stripes to a large extent.

Maybe not but he had a good reputation before that, and his Fulham side play good technical football which is easy on the eye. He's earned his stripes to a large extent.

I'd agree when you look at his overall record. I just feel that a football manager's reputation is very vulnerable to the mood of the moment. Many fans and club chairmen base their judgement on how things went in a manager's last job, or even on how things are going at the moment, without taking into account other things that may be going at the club, or particular difficulties that happen to be around. Hodgson's career took a knock at Blackburn, and his overall standing in this country has only recently been restored IMO. If I remember right, even Fulham only gave him the job when they were in trouble.

Likewise Hughes. It's all very well buying expensive players, but it takes time to forge a team. Hughes has been judged too early.

Guest neesy111

i can't believe people say hughes didn't deserve the sack at all

he's spent 200M and inherited a very decent team that finished 10th

also why the hell has he bought 6 strikers, for a club that doesn't play in europe this season

their defence is a total shambles and they've not played well in quite a few games this season

would you trust hughes with another 100M, nah, that's why he's been given the sack and deservedly, the fact that he moan's about referee's quite a bit, is masking his own errors

I can't believe Man City are being criticised for doing this so quickly. Any big business draws up a "contingency plan" if things go wrong. Looks like several weeks ago they started considering alternatives to Hughes by asking the likes of Mancini & Hiddink, and when they finally decided to sack him, they had their man. No need for several weeks with a caretaker manager where they might have been right out of the top 4 race. They also now have someone in place just in time for the transfer window.

If only Shepherd had that sort of strategy in place when he sacked Robson.

Then buy us instead.

Could you imagine it, all them signings................the formation wankers on here would implode with all potential formations.

fuck me I think I'd start posting formations if we spent £200m :lol:

Then buy us instead.

Could you imagine it, all them signings................the formation wankers on here would implode with all potential formations.

f*** me I think I'd start posting formations if we spent £200m :lol:

I wouldn't be able to post formations if we spent £200 million in one transfer window

The shock would kill me

City's owners are a disgrace the way they've treated Hughes and now banning the media. They should sell their stake in the club and get out.

Then buy us instead.

Ohh yes yes yes.... pls happen... they just disgrace to Man City... so come to us :lol:

I can't believe Man City are being criticised for doing this so quickly. Any big business draws up a "contingency plan" if things go wrong. Looks like several weeks ago they started considering alternatives to Hughes by asking the likes of Mancini & Hiddink, and when they finally decided to sack him, they had their man. No need for several weeks with a caretaker manager where they might have been right out of the top 4 race. They also now have someone in place just in time for the transfer window.

Very true. It was madness firing manager after manager without any replacement lined up. That's how you end up with a Souness.

Very true. It was madness firing manager after manager without any replacement lined up. That's how you end up with a Souness.

True!!

Spot on. If you're going to get rid of someone and replace him, why sack him and then mess around for ages with a caretaker, losing a transfer window while you try and repair the situation? How is that more professional? They have acted quickly and decisively and brought in a manager with pedigree who has his best years ahead of him, with a transfer window to bring his men in and time to acclimatise them for next season.

Sure there might be a transition period, but they hardly looked a well drilled outfit under Hughes did they?

I seem to remember Chelsea were criticised after they pulled a similar stunt with Ranieri. They only went and won the league for the following two seasons - a young manager with pedigree, one with his best years ahead of him.

Mark's mates in the press keep pointing at the two defeats thing but we're not daft - drawing against weaker teams is not good. Failing to beat teams like Hull is not good, whatever way you spin it. I don't think Man City's form has improved much since he took over at the club. He's been there 15 months, spent a quarter of a billion and I don't see any significant signs of progress. He's got to admit he's just not done a very good job.

Seemingly it goes now that if you're slow, you're unresponsive and stupid not to act quicker, and if you're quick you're reckless, rash, disrespectful and so on.

The media need to make their fucking mind up about Mancini. If sacking Hughes was such a disgraceful decision, why are they bumming the new guy like he's massively turned around their fortunes?

Fuck off, you can't have it both ways.

Hmm. Seems Hughes is the new Ferguson without needing to actually have done much of anything.

Not that I'm saying he's crap - he's not. He's just not the fab manager many seem to believe. Why, FFS ?

Would i have him instead of Hughton ? Probably. But wouldn't expect wonders.

As for Shepherd - we're talking about the man who could have had O'Neill and went for Allardyce instead.

Let's not refer to him again, please.

He isn't anywhere near Ferguson but he is a decent manager and we will need one of those next season. Unless we "do a Hodgson" and sign some manager no-one would have expected to do really well (although I am sure some will claim they always thought we should have gone for him when he was managing in the swedish league or wherever) I can't see us getting better than Hughes.

The media need to make their fucking mind up about Mancini. If sacking Hughes was such a disgraceful decision, why are they bumming the new guy like he's massively turned around their fortunes?

Fuck off, you can't have it both ways.

its the media they are a bunch of hypocrites