Man City sack Mark Hughes; Roberto Mancini is the replacement

Thespence

Official from their website.

Manchester City FC can confirm that it has today terminated the contract of Mark Hughes.

In giving reason for the termination Chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said:

“Prior to the current season beginning, with significant investment in players and infrastructure in place, the consensus between the Board and coaching staff was that appropriate agreed targets should be set for the 2009/2010 season. 

“The targets were agreed as a result of the player acquisition strategy of the club being radically accelerated in the summer as a result of very favourable conditions for any buying club.  It was also based on the fact that the infrastructure of the club had been overhauled completely at great cost in order to create the best possible environment for the team.

“A return of two wins in 11 Premier League games is clearly not in line with the targets that were agreed and set.  Sheikh Mansour and the Board felt that there was no evidence that the situation would fundamentally change. This is a particularly difficult announcement given the personal investment over the past 15 months on all sides and we would like to put on record our respect for and thanks to Mark Hughes and we wish him the best in his future career.”

Manchester City Football Club can confirm the appointment, with immediate effect on a permanent contract, of Roberto Mancini and are also pleased to announce that Brian Kidd will join Roberto as assistant manager.

Commenting on the appointment, Khaldoon Al Mubarak said:  “Roberto is a hugely experienced manager with a proven track record of winning trophies and championships.  His experience and track record speak for themselves.  What is absolutely clear is that Roberto believes in Manchester City’s potential to achieve at the highest level and importantly in his own ability to make this happen.  My hope is that our incredible fans will join us in welcoming Roberto to the football club.”

Mark Bowen, Eddie Niedzwiecki, Kevin Hitchcock and Glyn Hodges have also left the Club and further appointments will be announced in due course.

What is absolutely clear is that Roberto believes in Manchester City’s potential to achieve at the highest level and importantly in his own ability to make this happen.

Sounds like Hughes wasn't convinced.

Club statement basically saying that the board had a timebomb on Hughes just waiting to sack him as of this Summer.

then they should have sacked him then, not when he has only had 2 defeats are in 6th and got them to the semi of league cup. I now wish nothing but ill will at man city

Club statement basically saying that the board had a timebomb on Hughes just waiting to sack him as of this Summer.

then they should have sacked him then, not when he has only had 2 defeats are in 6th and got them to the semi of league cup. I now wish nothing but ill will at man city

I did all along tbh.

[/Ronaldo] :razz:

Guest Heneage

Why would Mourinho want to leave Inter for City? :lol:

You'd be surprised.

Man City clearly have a lot of money to spend, so Mourinho could just build the team of his dreams, real Football Manager stuff. It's also turning quite sour for him in Italy, they played Atalanta at the weekend and he's currently serving a touchline ban. The staff at Atalanta offered him the choice of two boxes from which to watch the game, he declined both. He then stormed off to watch the game on the coach, he then changed his mind again, and went into the stadium to watch it from the stands on his own.

The game finished 1-1 with a late goal, but the problem was after the game. An Inter player was being interviewed about the game and Mourinho saw him came charging off the coach and some claim hit Corriere dello Sport reporter Andrea Ramazzotti, something Mourinho denies, he did however definitely verbally abuse the guy, calling him some horrendous things for no real reason. Inter have obviously apologised for the whole thing, but there's talk he's getting itchy feet at Inter and could leave at the end of the season.

Not when they concede 3 goals to every shit team and drew 56 games in a row? He's hardly doing a good job with the most expensive squad in the world.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Why would Mourinho want to leave Inter for City? :lol:

, he did however definitely verbally abuse the guy, calling him some horrendous things for no real reason.

Just shows what an influential figure JFK was in the game.

Simon Bird? You're a cunt

Andrea Ramazotti? You're a cunt.

I did all along tbh.

[/Ronaldo] :razz:

i previously was sympathetic due to man city being sorta like us no hopers and subject of ridicule for ages (and my dad is a fan of them) and it would have been nice to see them break open the cartel that is the sky 4, now i want them to finish below fat sam

What is absolutely clear is that Roberto believes in Manchester City’s potential to achieve at the highest level and importantly in his own ability to make this happen.

Sounds like Hughes wasn't convinced.

this....

reason Hughes should be no where near stepping in man city job.