Mark Hughes

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yes, who the f*** voted no?

Me for one.

Why do YOU think he's any good ?

You wouldn't want Hughes because he's no good?

Jesus H Christ f***ing wept.

You think he's top notch do you ?

Explain why please, instead of mouthing off.

Which isn't exactly telling us WHY he's any good.

I don't rate him, and you throw a wobbler ?

Why don't you dump YOUR manager and go for him then ?

Absolutely stellar reasoning.  :idiot2:

Didn't say he's top notch - I think he did a good job at Blackburn, making them one of the better sides in the league, and he's done pretty decently at Man City if you ask me, and it was a ridiculous decision to get rid of him. I could vaguely understand wanting to stick with Hughton for the sake of "stability", but you're seriously telling me you'd not want him at Newcastle if he was available and interested, because he's not very good?

I don't think it was. In one game Mancini's tactics have already been better than anything Hughes has done. Simply by picking players in their natural positions to actually have some balance to the team.

He has his shortcomings but I think it was far too rash to get rid and the situation did not merit a sacking at this stage - I'd have at least given him until the end of the season. Also, I think I'll wait a bit until assessing Mancini at City. (Fwiw, I'd say he's better than Hughes, judging his previous work).

He has his shortcomings but I think it was far too rash to get rid and the situation did not merit a sacking at this stage - I'd have at least given him until the end of the season. Also, I think I'll wait a bit until assessing Mancini at City. (Fwiw, I'd say he's better than Hughes, judging his previous work).

If you think Mancini is better than Hughes - isn't it a valid reason enough to sack Hughes ?

Like you, I rate both Hughes and Mancini. I think the sacking of Hughes is not really justified, if we are only focussing on the Hughes and the team. However, all credits to Cook, he did secure a quality replacement, whom I rate higher than Hughes. So, from the grand scheme of things, it is justified to dismiss Hughes.

Purely from business point of view, I would take Hughes over Hughton. However, it would be very harsh to part with Hughton given his works this season.

jesus fucking wept, the question in the op was "if he's going to be out of work and would come here, would you want him as our manager?", now i'm not saying that he's my dream manager and of course i could name a dozen of managers i'd much rather have here, but sadly none of those would come.

so if he would come (of course he'd never come but the question was hypothetical to begin with), i'd have him in a heartbeat, and imo everyone is an idiot who say they wouldn't, and my sole reason behind this is that he's well and far above the quality of managers this club could attract at the moment, of course we can argue about whether he did a good job at man city or not, whether his blackburn side was shite or not, but in the end you have to realise that we have chris motherfucking hughton as a manager, who's nowhere near premiership standard, and our only realistic candidate to replace him in the near future is alan shearer, who would be a huge gamble to say at least.

all in all i don't quite get what the fuck this debate is about, you might not like him, but it is a fact that he's much better then anyone else we could possibly attract, if you think otherwise please name a better candidate for the job. oh and please don't tell me that we're ok with hughton, a fucking monkey should be able to win this piss poor league with this squad, yet we're playing shite football and are top of the league for two reason only, firstly that we actually have real defenders, secondly that we have players who can kick the ball between the two white posts from twelve yards while other teams seems to be unable to accomplish that feat against us.

Hughes would fancy it here.........not sure if Glyn Hodges one of his coaches would though. But  after dealing with Cook/Marwood/Arabs it would be case of would he be willing to work with people like Ashley & Llambliar who make the Man City crowd seem professional.

i keep reading a lot that hughton will be gone pretty early next season if we get promoted and he starts badly. why do people think this is necessarily the case?

I don't think it is necessarily the case, though it's a likely outcome. If we get promoted and start badly, he might also be given time. And if we get promoted, we might also start well.

We need to get away from the gloomy habit of treating every worst-case scenario as if it's a nailed-on certainty. Look at this season so far. Much better than most expected, no?

i agree about the second paragraph, my point is more to do with ashleys intentions to be honest. if he doesnt sell, i just dont trust him to do the right thing by the club ever, at all. i expect him to be happy for us to become a yo yo club and just keep hughton in for as long as possible because he's cheap and tows the party line. maybe my hatred of the man is clouding my judgement but he's already proved how little he cares for the club and as long as the money keeps coming i dont think he cares (i know he's not in profit but if he keeps costs down he will be eventually)

by the way i realise that appointing hughton has so far proved to be successful in that we're top of the league, but i still get the feeling the reason we're winning isnt hughton as much as us having more quality than other teams in the league, i only remember us playing well against peterborough. i dont buy this 'shit, league, have to play shit to win' mentality. if we've got more quality we should play better football, imo.

fwiw if we got promoted i'd go all out to get moyes.

fwiw if we got promoted i'd go all out to get moyes.

Out of interest why Moyes ?

a mixture of likelihood that he'd come and proven premiership experience. everton have always played decent football under him imo and he's done well on a budget, i think? just seems to make sense. that said he'd only come if we had new owners and cash i suppose otherwise what would be the point in him leaving everton, unless he fancies a new challenge.

We are not Real Madrid ffs we dont go round sacking people if they are doing a okay to good job.

Like most of our players I am not sure Hughton will make the step up. If we could get Hughes in at reasonable cost it seems like an easy choice to me.

We are not Real Madrid ffs we dont go round sacking people if they are doing a okay to good job.

Like most of our players I am not sure Hughton will make the step up. If we could get Hughes in at reasonable cost it seems like an easy choice to me.

Not a chance Ashley will bin Hughton if we go up. The only way Hughton will go in the summer is if the club is sold. Even then I doubt it will happen.

That is probably correct but do you honestly think Ashley & Llambias are going to cut the strings of there puppet?

Imagine if Shearer had been managing us this season, and we were in the exact same position now, seven points clear at Christmas – people would be threatening to riot if there was talk of replacing him with Hughes after promotion.

Depends on whether the performances had been the same

Imagine if Shearer had been managing us this season, and we were in the exact same position now, seven points clear at Christmas people would be threatening to riot if there was talk of replacing him with Hughes after promotion.

:nope: Come on now. He'd be hailed as a tactical genius for getting results from such a poor set of players.

Imagine if Shearer had been managing us this season, and we were in the exact same position now, seven points clear at Christmas people would be threatening to riot if there was talk of replacing him with Hughes after promotion.

:nope: Come on now. He'd be hailed as a tactical genius for getting results from such a poor set of players.

Aye, if you dared criticise anything about the way it was going you'd be a "Shearer hater" and everyone would be pointing out the league position and asking "what more do you want?".