Newcastle United 2-0 Middlesbrough - 20/12/09 - post match reaction from page 15

Nate

We've got the all important 3 points but we were poor for most of the first half and we're lucky this league has been over hyped for years, it really is shit.  Coloccini probably had has best game in a black & white shirt today.  He read the game brilliantly and gave the Boro forwards nothing at all during the game.  I'm not sure if he's getting better or if he's just looking better because of the opposition being poor.

Nolan has shown again today that when he doesn't score he offers nothing to the team and our midfield in general is so bland.  Guthrie played most of the game in the middle but provided the cross of the season so far for our second goal, I'm not sure I've seen a better cross from anybody this season, it was perfect.

Enrique is walking this league and again worked really well with Jonas, sometimes they read each other like Nobby and Dyer did when played together.  Enrique made some brilliant tackles when he really shouldn't have been able to, he's streets ahead of any other fullback in the Championship and one of the best in the country, pity he's not English.

Harper had little or nothing to do against a forward line that wouldn't have scored if they had played all night.  As for Simpson, I still haven't made my mind up on him yet but I think I prefer him to Ryan Taylor.  I don't know how we scored 2 goals because I don't think our forwards were very good for most of the game, the midfield don't help with our lack of creativity through the middle, we're so static it's crazy, I hope that this is sorted before the end of the transfer window.  I probably sounding like a Ranger groupie but he’s streets ahead of any other forward at this club when it comes to keeping possession, something we hardly managed until he came on.  It takes so much pressure off the team when you can hit the ball to him and know it’s not coming straight back at you.

That is the worst Boro team that I can ever remember seeing and I've seen quite a few.  They are shit from back to front and will not get out of this league this season.  They were as bad as any team I've seen up here this season.

Just got back from the game - loved the xmas atmosphere! comfortable win, capped off by a brilliant 2nd half. man of the match could have went to enrique, coloccini, guthrie or jonas - the whole team was great!!

Nah, did you not hear? We were wretched.

The first half we were world class, the passing, the movement, the greatness in general. Beautiful to witness. Had tears in my eyes.

Guest The_Scoreboard

The game was a bit boring until Nicky butt came on and offered his own unique brand of comedy football!

I loved every minute of that game, especially as Colo had me entertained all the way through it - he basically just took the piss. woeful/wretched is too strong a word to use, ffs we one nil up after 15 mins or so and went on to win 2-0 keeping another clean sheet. the mentality that Hughton has at the moment is give them loads of respect, sneak a couple of goals then sit back and relax until full time(repeat). I know what some people are saying about how we shud be more ruthless with poor teams and we easily could have slaughtered boro today. oh and shola frustrated the fook out of me the first half, mooching around, being lazy, constantly whining on at the ref, following him around even if it meant him being out of position a few times, but then he scores so all forgiven :celb:

Guest The_Scoreboard

Once upon a time we were playing great, beautiful, cavalier attacking football, but managed to lose a 12 point lead at the top of the Premiership.

oh yeah and what was the team that caught us?? :rolleyes:

Just got back from the game - loved the xmas atmosphere! comfortable win, capped off by a brilliant 2nd half. man of the match could have went to enrique, coloccini, guthrie or jonas - the whole team was great!!

Nah, did you not hear? We were wretched.

The first half we were world class, the passing, the movement, the greatness in general. Beautiful to witness. Had tears in my eyes.

I haven't exaggerated at all, see. That was you. If you read further up the page or on a previous page, you'll see that I have said our football today was not the best we've ever played by any stretch. I didn't say this but a lot of it was similar to the stuff we adopt away from home - but in spells we were very good, quite tidy, and kept possession well. I don't see how you could say it was "wretched", at all. The long ball game is never pretty, but it worked to decent effect today, I thought.

This league is gash. So-so players like Colo, Guthrie and Enrique were made to look like they were out of the 1970 Brazil team

At one point, I thought Colo was going to light a tab and use Leroy Lita's mouth as an ashtray.

Once upon a time we were playing great, beautiful, cavalier attacking football, but managed to lose a 12 point lead at the top of the Premiership.

I can't remember.

Was so pleased when i read the line-up earlier on. Hughton plays our best team and we don't fuck up? Zomg.

Didn't see the game, btw. Sounded pretty solid, though, which is exactly what we are with that 'back 9'. None of our strikers brake any records but we could alternate them every single game and still finish in the top 2, especially considering the back four.

Just got back, great result and great atmosphere. First half we were poor tbh, sloppy but we took our chance. Second half we were miles better, had a perfect view of the 2nd goal, that cross had goal written all over it from the moment it left Guthrie's boot, top class. We rode our luck at times and had a few 'home' decisions but in the end you make your own luck. Boro are ok in midfield but shocking up front and at the back. Match ratings:

Harper 6 - Didn't have much to do, but did well to stop them going level even if he was slighlty aided by Taylor :lol:

Simpson 5 - Poor first half, a bit better second half, may have been better off playing Ryan Taylor.

Taylor 8 - Mopped up everything, is becoming a real leader at the back.

Coloccini 8 - Absolutely class, he's so far above this level its unbelievable  :colo:

Enrique 8 - No one gets past him and going forward he's a gem, only 1 bad delivery all game, a class above.

Guthrie 7 - Poor first half, miles better second half, really went at them and what a fucking cross that was.

Smith 6 - Went in for everything, shame he came off, hope its nothing serious.

Nolan 6 - Very quiet today, did win a lot of headers and link up play was very good at times.

Jonas 7 - One of his better games, caused them all sorts of problems and really got in their heads. He even put a good ball in

the box for once.

Harewood 6 - Couldn't really miss to score our 1st, was quiet apart from that.

Ameobi 7 - Great hold up play, and took his goal really well.

Subs

Butt 6 - Actually thought he played well, got stuck in and showed really good vision at times.

Ranger 6 - Full of running, really helped us close out the game, could have got a goal.

Pancrate 5 - Wasn't really on long enough to judge his performance.

I haven't exaggerated at all, see. That was you. If you read further up the page or on a previous page, you'll see that I have said our football today was not the best we've ever played by any stretch. I didn't say this but a lot of it was similar to the stuff we adopt away from home - but in spells we were very good, quite tidy, and kept possession well. I don't see how you could say it was "wretched", at all. The long ball game is never pretty, but it worked to decent effect today, I thought.

It was poor football first half thats why. We created nothing going fowards, scored from a foul & ended up thankful to a handball that we werent 1-0 down. Against a crippled boro side who are 17 points behind us. Called it wretched cos that was part of the woeful definition given, thats all. I just think we played badly first half, 2nd half was much improved.

Coloccini was fucking brilliant today, credit where it's due. Should have got the MOTM award. :thup:

It was a scrappy game overall - very typical of the Championship as usual - and our first half performance was pretty poor. The long balls were aimless and they were better than us despite us being in front.

Second half once we scored we were the more comfortable team by a mile and should have extended the lead.

Btw I've looked back through the thread and can't see mention of Taylor being clearly obstructed a few minutes before the first goal. It was absolutely blatant but I guess TV didn't pick up on it? I'm reasonably convinced the referee let the goal stand despite Shola's push because of that.

Btw I've looked back through the thread and can't see mention of Taylor being clearly obstructed a few minutes before the first goal. It was absolutely blatant but I guess TV didn't pick up on it? I'm reasonably convinced the referee let the goal stand despite Shola's push because of that.

I never saw it, and noone in the studio or comm box picked up in it.

Before the freekick/corner came in, the ref went over to Taylor and the defender (can't remember who it was) to say he'd seen them tussling and to cut it out. Taylor protested his innocence. When the delivery came over the defender had both arms stretched out and wasn't even looking at the ball. It was as obvious an example of obstruction (or whatever it's called these days) as you could wish to see.

Before the freekick/corner came in, the ref went over to Taylor and the defender (can't remember who it was) to say he'd seen them tussling and to cut it out. Taylor protested his innocence. When the delivery came over the defender had both arms stretched out and wasn't even looking at the ball. It was as obvious an example of obstruction (or whatever it's called these days) as you could wish to see.

Oh that, yeah I remember Taylor going over and hugging the referee to show what the defender was doing :lol: The commentators didn't really pick up on it.

Guest The_Scoreboard

I can't remember.

:pow:

they're about a million times better than anything in this league, which is why we wont blow it this time :thup: