Newcastle United 2-0 Middlesbrough - 20/12/09 - post match reaction from page 15

Nate

Butt's spectacular overhead clearance when no-one was within 10 yards was comical.

His first 10mins on the pitch was the stuff that we have come to expect from him. However something switched on and he had a cracking last portion of the game. Typified by his long raking ball over to, Simpson, I think it was. Inch perfect.

Tackling got better too.

Butt was his usual self today. Some useful bits, some woeful bits, many bits where his legs simply can't do what his brain wants to do any more.

His bicycle kick was awesome :lol:

Perfectly executed.

I think i pissed myself a little when this happened. Probably the most pointless thing since Graham Souness. Ended in row Z of the Milburn.  :lol:

Thought Middlesbrough were awful, just awful. Whether we made them play like that is another matter.

Jonas and Enrique again built on their on field friendship with some lovely moves down the left. Jonas even hit a few good balls in. It must be hard for a right-footed player always having to use his left but he did well today.

What a fucking cross from Guthrie, who was impressive. I hold up my hands, I've slated him the last few days but he showed his quality today, well in lad.

Butt's random overhead clearance made me love him again.

Was Alan Smith injured btw? Seemed a strange time to bring him off...

Coloccini MOTM for me btw. Had a great game.

Butt was his usual self today. Some useful bits, some woeful bits, many bits where his legs simply can't do what his brain wants to do any more.

I just wonder sometimes how we would look with two mobile central midfielders i.e, no Butt, Smith or Nolan. Doubt it will happen any time soon but it would be interesting.

Butt was crap as usual.  He made a fair few crap passes, it wasn't just the Jonas one.  What about when he decided to give it to our dugout?

Get to f*** man, as Bluf would say.

Credit where credit is due, he certainly wasn't as crap as usual.

Nah Rich, thats what frazzle would call an intelligent football post.

Coming from someone who thinks keeping the ball is more tiring than last ditch defending...

You haven't got a clue.  :mackems:

You're a retard. That discussion was about sticking 10 men behind the ball and sitting back defensively rather than trying to go all out to rack up a goals for tally when the game was won.

You obviously know nowt about the game if you thought Nicky Butt was s*** today.

You must have lower standards than a penniless whore if you think he was acceptable.  Acceptable is misplacing a few passes, misplacing about 5 when you only make about 10 isn't good enough in my book.  Some of his slide tackles were embarrassing as well, he's always off the pace.

Thought we started very slowly and gt a bit lucky in the first half, but other than the first 5 mins, absolutely facebummed them in the second half. Jonas is infuriating, though, still avoids taking on his man and his passing was fucking awful at times. Miles worse than Butt's, tbh. Colo MOTM for me.

Bitter Mackems about us taking their record :

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=461455

Basically , a load of shit about catchment areas and football starting in 1992.

Why is it that it seems their is atleast one new thread about us on that forum a day?, I mean they might get mentioned here once or twice in all ready existing threads, but we very rarely make one for them.

Don't they have anything better to do then to keep on watching everything that we do?

Quite honestly, I couldn't give a fuck what they say, think, or discuss about us, they keep looking for meaningless facts to make them better then us, and it always fails to be honest, the fact that eveything they do has to be compared to what we do, have done, or could do just stinks of patheticness. If they are going to take more interest in then their own team, then they should get their backsides to SJP and get over with.

As an aside, there was an incident in the second half when Harewood chased down a pass back to their keeper, and nearly got a goal by getting in the way of the clearance.

The notable thing was that Harewood chased the ball at full pelt and spread himself as wide as possible to get the block in. I get irritated when I see strikers do a half-hearted chase in that situation, and that tends to be the norm. If you're going to pressure the keeper, give it all you've got. You never know what's going to happen once you put a bit of panic into the keeper's head.

The poster of reply number 6 on that thread on RTG was on msn to me after the game. He said:

1. Boro outplayed us

2. The atmosphere at SJP was sterile

3. We only won because of the ref

4. The he "hopes Steven Taylor dies"

He's a ST holder at the Dark place and attends most away games. Tbh he sums them up in one.

Yeah, it's great when he does that.

Speaking of incidents in the second half - I noticed a full chair or something being launched from the smogmonsters at the people in the Leazes End below. My Dad reckons there was several. Can anyone shed more light on this?

As an aside, there was an incident in the second half when Harewood chased down a pass back to their keeper, and nearly got a goal by getting in the way of the clearance.

The notable thing was that Harewood chased the ball at full pelt and spread himself as wide as possible to get the block in. I get irritated when I see strikers do a half-hearted chase in that situation, and that tends to be the norm. If you're going to pressure the keeper, give it all you've got. You never know what's going to happen once you put a bit of panic into the keeper's head.

Especially when it's Brad Jones who seems to have a stroke every time he gets the ball. As another aside, Brad Jones is really fucking bad.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

To be honest I  thought Nicky Butt was pretty decent when he came on.

Harper-7-Steady as usual

Simpson-6-Solid enough

Taylor-7-Good

Coloccini-9-Excellent game and undisputed man of the match for most people

Enrique-7-Good bursts down the wing and put in some good crosses (And one naff one)

Guthrie-8-Good display, excellent delivery

Smith-6-Did what he normally does until he went off

Nolan-6-Quiet, not much movement and contributed little

Jonas-7-Exciting performance, surprisingly put in some good balls

Harewood-6.5- Was there at the right time for the goal (Which is sometimes all you ask for in a forward) but was quiet otherwise

Ameobi-7- Good header for the ball, overall performance was good

Subs-

Butt-7-Impressed for a change- Random over head kick, some good blocks and tackles and some good passes

Ranger-6-Covered a fair bit of ground

Pancrate-6-Not on for long enough to judge

Yeah, it's great when he does that.

Speaking of incidents in the second half - I noticed a full chair or something being launched from the smogmonsters at the people in the Leazes End below. My Dad reckons there was several. Can anyone shed more light on this?

Yes, I witnessed it, their was one chair thrown, I only saw one, but their may of been more. This promted the police to go into the Boro crowd, and also further down into our section of the Leazers stand. Their was people saying it was only a shoe or jacket, but it was by my own eyes a chair, and it was confirmed by a steward after the game when I asked him that it was indeed a chair.

Guest WashyGeordie

Thought Middlesbrough were awful, just awful. Whether we made them play like that is another matter.

Jonas and Enrique again built on their on field friendship with some lovely moves down the left. Jonas even hit a few good balls in. It must be hard for a right-footed player always having to use his left but he did well today.

What a f***ing cross from Guthrie, who was impressive. I hold up my hands, I've slated him the last few days but he showed his quality today, well in lad.

Butt's random overhead clearance made me love him again.

Was Alan Smith injured btw? Seemed a strange time to bring him off...

Coloccini MOTM for me btw. Had a great game.

This.

Smith looked like he twinged something, but hopefully it was just pre-caution, Butt looked good when he came on, but I'm not sure if he would be as useful away to Sheff Wed on boxing day/full 90min match.

The crowd didn't disappoint, I thought we were going to get about 48k so I'm chuffed we got high 49k, I feel we will sell out this season though with the way things are going (if they continue) possibly WBA(?)..

And the atmosphere was good I thought, well it was in Level 7... Ohhh, noooo.. 'have you ever seen a geordie lift a cup'  :rolleyes: Aye, and 'Boro have won 1 major trophy (compared to our 11).

:smitten: