Newcastle United 2-0 Middlesbrough - 20/12/09 - post match reaction from page 15

Nate

Shola and Harewood dont really work as a pair.

It's a bit annoying, because it's an entirely predictable problem, with alternatives available. There's not enough movement up front.

They're winning quite a few aerial challenges, but it's pointless if the other striker isn't mobile enough to pick up the flick-on.

Dodgy match so far.

I think the long balls are a result of crap pitch surface, no one looks confident running with it atall. Would get one of the front two off.

It might have something to do with the total lack of movement from Smith and Nolan as well. Nolan is the main culprit for me, nothing is going through him at all.

To be fair to Nolan i do see him getting into space, i think his problem is hes massively slow on the ball. His decision making takes a while if hes not having a smash.

Incredibly s*** start from both sides, we took our goal well and after the keeper's fumble, Boro looked incredibly shaky and were there for the taking.

For a minute or two we kept the pressure on and I thought we could rape them. As usual that then quickly died out and our distribution has been s*** since. A poor standard of football and we're very lucky we didn't concede in that little Harper parry, Taylor handball bit.

We can be miles better than them and could have had this game beyond any doubt by now. We didn't capitalise and have been shaky ourselves since. The game will go to whoever comes out and actually gives it a bit of effort next half.

The referee has been s*** and Mark Bright has the biggest NUFC-shaped chip on his shoulder. Harewood/Shola doesn't work.

It's a bit annoying, because it's an entirely predictable problem, with alternatives available. There's not enough movement up front.

They're winning quite a few aerial challenges, but it's pointless if the other striker isn't mobile enough to pick up the flick-on.

They dont even win them tbh They either foul them, dont go for it or it bounces off them randomly. Both of them are crap on long balls, Ranger/Carroll are far better for that.

The ball is only reaching them via the long punt, otherwise our midfield is failing to move the ball past the halfway line. I'm sorry but if we are playing long ball it's not the forwards fault it's the so called engine room.