Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Such a shocking player man.

Just the latest target of the "boo-boys"

Formerly Williamson and before that Perch.

Always has to be someone, eh, lads.

We need a bigger squad next year and he should be part of it. If we manage to get into the Europa or better we will need the likes of Simpson, Williamson, Perch, Guthrie.

We need a bigger squad next year and he should be part of it. If we manage to get into the Europa or better we will need the likes of Simpson, Williamson, Perch, Guthrie.

Will he want to stay though? Strikes me as needing to be first choice. It would appear the board have their idea of how much he's worth with the contract offer, and how much he thinks he's worth considering he's not accepting. Even if he does stay after we get a replacement, could only see him hanging around as second choice for a year and move on. Would be happy with his as back up but I can't see him willing to take that step back at his age after 3 years of starting for us. Couldn't blame him for it, either.

:thup: Had no problem with his performance yesterday. Would obviously like us to get a FB who can offer more going forward, but Simpson being reasonably solid defensively has helped us get to where we are.

Would be happy to see him stay if his wage demands aren't ridiculous.

:thup: Had no problem with his performance yesterday. Would obviously like us to get a FB who can offer more going forward, but Simpson being reasonably solid defensively has helped us get to where we are.

Would be happy to see him stay if his wage demands aren't ridiculous.

There must be some sticking point. I'm wondering if the club view him (and his future wages) as a squad player and he views himself as higher/better than that.

Maybe the club already have in view another player to share the RB spot, so don't want to overpay.

Guest BooBoo

Whatever happens in the summer, he's given us three years good service.

Talent wise, he's obviously limited but the criticism he often gets is over the top.

Talent wise, he's obviously limited but the criticism he often gets is over the top.

:thup:

I'd rather seem him stay than leave, but as a squad player rather than a first teamer

:dontknow: The curse of actually having a relatively good team. A player who down the years would've been seen as a fair player and good servant who, whilst limited, was a hard worker, and had his positives that benefitted an average team. He's the weak link in a team with a fair few fantastic players, so he will get the shit. There'll always be that scapegoat, and no matter what level we're looking for our team to be performing at, they'll get flack for not being up to that standard.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Simpson is no scapegoat, people call him crap because he is, not because they're looking for a scapegoat.

Martin Petrov has probably not had such an easy game all season. Simpson's idea of closing someone down is getting to within 10 yards of the winger and then just stopping. We were damn lucky not to concede from the one that flashed across the face of the goal in the 2nd half.

Simpson will go on to be the modern day Aaron Hughes, deemed 'cack, crap, woeful' here then will end up at a club like Fulham years after we flog him for a minimal fee to be rebranded as a good player who we never should have sold.

I think two players are essential in the summer, a centre back and full back. I think Santon is our best full back so that means Simpson dropping to the bench but he isn't anywhere near as bad as is often made out. He just isn't one of our best first 11 players and if we want to progress we need to continuously improve on our weakest regular starter knocking them down to the bench and the bench players out of the club.

Simpson will go on to be the modern day Aaron Hughes, deemed 'cack, crap, woeful' here then will end up at a club like Fulham years after we flog him for a minimal fee to be rebranded as a good player who we never should have sold.

I think two players are essential in the summer, a centre back and full back. I think Santon is our best full back so that means Simpson dropping to the bench but he isn't anywhere near as bad as is often made out. He just isn't one of our best first 11 players and if we want to progress we need to continuously improve on our weakest regular starter knocking them down to the bench and the bench players out of the club.

:thup:

He has played almost every minute of the season, and we're sitting in fifth with five games to go. If he was as bad as some have made him out to be on here, that would simply not be possible.

Completely agree, my problem with him is that he is a complete liability in possession and as an attacking outlet.

Also dont like he cant deal with almost anyone 1 v 1, but he isnt a bad player by any means not as good as the media say but not bad at all.

I would'nt want him sold, just would prefer to see a fullback that can deal with players 1 v 1 and not a liability in possession and provides an attacking outlet whether that be Santon or a new fullback then i dont really mind.

I get the feeling he would'nt stay here to be back up though.

IMO Simpson is a decent defender only if you:

1) Ignore the way he backs off like a coward, giving the man on the ball the space and time to do whatever he wants (cut in for a shot, go outside for a cross, etc). I've never seen a fullback back off as much as he does, we're talking about him maintaining 3-4 yards of clear space at times whilst the opposition player moves towards our goal with the ball.

2) Ignore the frequency with which he runs out of position to attempt a sneaky interception/tackle whilst he's on the blind side of the opposition player, but almost always fails (because he's s*** at this particular type of tackle), getting turned easily by the man on the ball, or getting cut out of the game as the man on the ball flicks it forward for an overlapping runner, or giving a foul away.

3) Ignore all distribution, dribbling and crossing attempts. But that's a given as we all know he's s*** going forward.

4) Allow the success of the team overall to influence your opinion of how well Simpson himself has played.

5) Give him extra leeway because he's a possible England international, is relatively youngish, slightly pacey, and is one of the few remnants of our successful and relatively popular Championship winning side.

I'll be the first "hater" to admit that he does have decent defensive games here and there, mainly when there isn't a left winger causing him problems or when the opposition decide to focus on the other flank (especially if Raylor is playing there), and furthermore he is decent defensively in certain scenarios - e.g. clearing the ball off the line, defending a cross coming in from the other flank, competing for a long/through ball played in behind him when he's shoulder-to-shoulder with his man, etc etc. But he's still way too flawed for my liking. And that's ignoring how bad he is on the ball.

Can't knock his last few performances other than his delivery into the box, which continues to be utterly dire. He never ceases to amaze me with how poor it is under absolutely no pressure.  As I say though, he has played well apart from that.

Guest VegasToon

He is ok.  Nothing more, nothing less.  He would be the weakest link in our starting 11 if everyone was healthy.  After we build some depth, then we should look to upgrade his spot.

I don't remember anybody at the time who thought that Hughes should've been sold, especially for the price that he went for.

He wasn't hated but many thought he wasn't good enough and I don't remember many being bothered when he left.

Also remember a poster named after the player getting some stick but tbf they were a bit ott :lol:

Guest neesy111

Most NUFC fans liked Aaron Hughes when he was at the club, I for one was gutted when I heard we sold him for 1M.

Also comparisons with Simpson are stupid.  Hughes could play anywhere across the back for starters and actually had some ability on the ball.