Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

If he signs a new 5 year deal I can't see it being as a squad player. He'd want assurances from the manager about being considered a first team player before he puts pen to paper surely?

Would still be in his hands though.

So, close to signing a new deal I hear? I honestly wouldn't mind that (just as long as he's being used as a backup option). The stick that Simpson does get on here is a bit OTT but I do understand some of the (sometimes justified) criticism that does come his way (backing off/unintelligent decisions).

Ever since he "quit" Twitter, he has been alright really (admittedly, he did have a few bad performances prior to that) but now that we're near the end of the season, what I'll say about Danny Simpson is this:

He is an unspectacular RB but he is actually quite decent defensively (would certainly have him over Raylor at RB). His attacking play though is very limited - whilst he does attempt some forward runs, his end product this season hasn't really been good enough (too many wayward/inaccurate crosses most of the time). So when we do have our strongest starting XI available, he is the weak link, it has to be said.

I'm actually disappointed that he hasn't really shown any real signs of progression/improvement from last season. So, if we want to really progress in the future, Simpson should not be the first choice RB (I want to see Santon being given a runout there). But what I have seen this season are some solid/decent performances here and there and that has to count for something, yeah? So, I would keep him around because I can see him being decent backup (whether Simpson accepts this is another matter).

I think he gets a lot of unfair stick, including from me, he's hard working and often functional, but I desperately want a confident ball playing right back to link up with ben arfa, Simspon is never going to be that. Fair play to him he works hard etc, just not good enough ultimately. He obviously thinks way too much of himself but don't have much problem with his on pitch attitude, just wish he could pass the ball...

We gave Williamson a similar contract, offered Nolan/Barton long term deals etc..

Happy for him to stay as a squad player, at the very least it means we will get money for him when there is no longer room for him in the squad. A new contract means nothing in regards to his first team place.

Guest Roger Kint

You all know he isn't going to be used as back up if he signs this deal.

Do we? Why?

Imo he wont sign to be a backup but at the same time i dont think he will be first choice if Pardew gets his way. I honestly think we will buy a FB this summer and i cant see us leaving Santon on the bench for Simpson when we do(or the new FB on the bench if he is right sided)

Cost £750k, on £10k per week and has played every game for a club joint fourth in the Premier League with five games to go. What terrible value for money. Hope he dies etc.

He's an absolute loon to turn down £25kpw  :lol:

Can't see anyone paying him more than that if we try to sell him at the end of the season either, so he's waiting for his contract to expire in hope of the big sign on fee and bumper deal, even then is anyone going to pay him £35kpw? That's the figure he must think he's worth playing the club like this, a club with a reputation and form of telling contract whingers to go fuk themselves.

Daft lad, he'll not get a 1st team spot in a bigger club than this.

He's an absolute loon to turn down £25kpw  :lol:

Can't see anyone paying him more than that if we try to sell him at the end of the season either, so he's waiting for his contract to expire in hope of the big sign on fee and bumper deal, even then is anyone going to pay him £35kpw? That's the figure he must think he's worth playing the club like this, a club with a reputation and form of telling contract whingers to go fuk themselves.

Daft lad, he'll not get a 1st team spot in a bigger club than this.

Chances are he's already got word that a club is willing to offer him that. That's usually how these things work, even if it's not supposed to be the case.

Mental like, but could you really put it past the likes of West Ham and QPR?