Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Guest Rey Mysterio

The gulf in class between himself and a young kid like Ferguson on the other side is laughable. It was no more than a training match for most of the 2nd half and he still somehow managed to either give it to Steve Harper or one of their players with alarming frequency.

What's he doing saluting the cross field balls before they get to him?

I think it's something to with judging the distance so he can control it, that's a total guess though.

He had a good game tonight to be fair, solid defensively.

Thought he played well tonight - defensively solid, the fact he doesn't offer much going forward is less of an issue when you have a dynamic left side like we had with Fergie and Oberwanktan tonight.

Pardew took the time to say this in his programme notes:

"Danny Simpson is also back in contention after a spell on the sidelines with injury and, as is often the case with good players, their importance to the side is only fully appreciated in their absence.

Dangerous wingers on the opposition team tend to have a quiet game when Danny is at his best, so it will be good to get him back on board"

Guest BooBoo

Whilst I like the look of Ferguson, I don't think it was the game to pitch him in at full back. Would much rather have had Simpson/Santon at full back.

Guest BooBoo

Basically because I think Fergie is a winger rather than a full back. He's a tiny kid pitched it at left back against Man Utd. It was asking a hell of a lot of him. Simpson deserves criticism sometimes but he's a decent defensive full back and given his propensity to clear off the live, it would be entirely plausible that he would have prevented at least one of the two first half goals.

Simpson's a reasonable defender, I accept that, but I thought Ferguson was generally OK, and I very much doubt he would have contributed anything more than him today. Potential clearances off the line aside.

Simpson's a reasonable defender, I accept that, but I thought Ferguson was generally OK, and I very much doubt he would have contributed anything more than him today. Potential clearances off the line aside.

I don't know whether I agree with that. In that early spell, they targeted Fergie with that diagonal over the top to Van Persie and Fergie's height meant he was cut out everytime. Least Santon at LB would have proved this ball a little more difficult.

Danny should be infront of Shane. However, Perch or Anita should be our starting right back. Id pick Perch if everyone is fit though. Just because I think Anita is still trying to adapt to this league.

Danny should be infront of Shane. However, Perch or Anita should be our starting right back. Id pick Perch if everyone is fit though. Just because I think Anita is still trying to adapt to this league.

Wow.

Guest BooBoo

For better or worse, Simpson's the best defensive right back we have and for that and until we sign an upgrade, he should be first choice at RB.

Our best right back is Santon. The problem is we simply don't have a left back, and haven't for about four bloody windows. Instead we have to choose between a left winger or a right back.

Since Santon offers nothing attacking-wise on the left due to cutting inside and making a mess of things every time, we might as well put Simpson on the left. He'll still be able to defend reasonably well, but playing there will hardly stifle his ability to s*** his pants and pass the ball back to the centre back every f***ing time he gets it.

That way Santon can play on the right, where he might actually be able to get past his man and put a useful ball in every now and again.

Wow.

I know. But I dont rate Simpson even as a Championship caliber fullback. He is just terrible in 95% aspects of the game. And Anita has been extremely poor. If we had 2 Santons Id obviously start both of them on each flank but we dont.

Our best right back is Santon. The problem is we simply don't have a left back, and haven't for about four bloody windows. Instead we have to choose between a left winger or a right back.

Since Santon offers nothing attacking-wise on the left due to cutting inside and making a mess of things every time, we might as well put Simpson on the left. He'll still be able to defend reasonably well, but playing there will hardly stifle his ability to s*** his pants and pass the ball back to the centre back every f***ing time he gets it.

That way Santon can play on the right, where he might actually be able to get past his man and put a useful ball in every now and again.

Santon is a left back too.

Santon is a left back too.

I'm sure you've heard the phrase that putting a saddle on a donkey doesn't make it a horse.

He's a right back. He can play on the left until the end of his career and it won't change that. The protestations of you, Pardew, or even Santon himself can't alter that either.

Since Santon offers nothing attacking-wise on the left due to cutting inside and making a mess of things every time

It "opens-up the whole pitch", according to Pardew.

Still don't see it. :hmm:

The pitch doesn't need opening up, it's not a f***ing tin of beans.

We need supply to our strikers, and they're not getting it under the current 'formation' because 3/4 of our wide players are on the wrong side of the pitch and the other one is incompetent when presented with a football.

Since Santon offers nothing attacking-wise on the left due to cutting inside and making a mess of things every time

It "opens-up the whole pitch", according to Pardew.

Still don't see it. :hmm:

The pitch doesn't need opening up, it's not a f***ing tin of beans.

We need supply to our strikers, and they're not getting it under the current 'formation' because 3/4 of our wide players are on the wrong side of the pitch and the other one is incompetent when presented with a football.

:lol: made me giggle that.

Agree about supply btw, it's the crucial factor here, Santon cutting in and then not really making his mind up what to do isn't helping this problem. Still think he's the least of our worries btw.

The stick Simpson gets is way over the top imo. He's a dependable if uninspiring fullback who was a mainstay of the team that got 5th. He often plays behind Ben Arfa who isn't great defensively (nor should he be expected to be) or Obertan who is just Ultra-crap.

We need at least 1 centre half before we look at other positions.