Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

So will we finally see Santon in for Simpson?  I doubt it.

Would be surprised if it's anything other than unchanged from Wigan for Stoke.

So will we finally see Santon in for Simpson?  I doubt it.

Would be surprised if it's anything other than unchanged from Wigan for Stoke.

Yep.  Suicide, Simpson punts it long the majority of the time and Obertan loses the ball a lot.  We need to have a lot of possession in this game, playing these two won't help.

I dont rate Simpson and Guthrie but have to say Guthrie was our best player last night, the worst thing with Simpson he has the attributes to be a decent defender if he would stop backing off all the time, and was more composed on the ball!!

You learn not to back off when you play junior football and if he has not learned by now then he never will!!

The thing what frustrates me the most is when we lose the ball and he is out of position how he just jogs back after the winger! Also when a winger skins him why does he always wave his arms about as if its someone elses fault! :rant:

Ryan Taylor has played out of position all season and done well, can you imagine Simpson at left back when he is even struggling on the right at the min.

Santon has to start on Monday but doubt he will.

You are also taught as a kid not to dive in, don't go to ground and end up left on your arse as they get a clear run into the box. I think he gets some very harsh criticism on here, we have bigger issues other than Danny.

Lets worry more about our absolute lack of CB cover.

You are also taught as a kid not to dive in, don't go to ground and end up left on your arse as they get a clear run into the box. I think he gets some very harsh criticism on here, we have bigger issues other than Danny.

Yet he does dive in further up the pitch!

Simpson does all of those things you mention. What bigger issues do we have other than him btw? He's by far the weakest link in our team, I'd say he's a pretty big concern.

A lot has to do with cover, at LB Jonas is there to help and he does constantly also Colo is a very bright and aware CB who is over quick to cover.

Simpson does not get a lot of cover from Obertan and although Taylor is looking a much better CB, he is not the brightest button and at times offers Danny little help.

I am not saying Danny is world class or that he does not deserve a bit of stick, I just think some of the stick is OTT.

He does seem to be suffering at the moment, if thats due to what is happening in his personal life than maybe he does need a break but dropping him may just make matters worse.

We have to look at how we do as a back four though and so far in the Premiership our defence has been outstanding and Danny has been a constant part of that.

A lot has to do with cover, at LB Jonas is there to help and he does constantly also Colo is a very bright and aware CB who is over quick to cover.

Simpson does not get a lot of cover from Obertan and although Taylor is looking a much better CB, he is not the brightest button and at times offers Danny little help.

I am not saying Danny is world class or that he does not deserve a bit of stick, I just think some of the stick is OTT.

He does seem to be suffering at the moment, if thats due to what is happening in his personal life than maybe he does need a break but dropping him may just make matters worse.

We have to look at how we do as a back four though and so far in the Premiership our defence has been outstanding and Danny has been a constant part of that.

You're spot on about Colo like, he covered a lot for Raylor against Wigan. There just isn't the same support down the right, regardless of who plays fullback.

Its a fact.. Danny would be better at LB purely because of who would be helping him out

He had cover last year though and was poor, from day one he just seems to be getting worse every season and seems to think he is fantastic the way he goes on, on his twitter etc slating other players!!

Guest Rey Mysterio

People were touting him for England last year tbf

For which they all need shooting for. Santon wasn't particularly special when he moved to right back but the difference in quality is HUGE. Both times he has replaced Simpson there the whole team has lifted and that's no fluke. Simpson hasn't improved one bit since he made his debut for us in the Championship.

For which they all need shooting for. Santon wasn't particularly special when he moved to right back but the difference in quality is HUGE. Both times he has replaced Simpson there the whole team has lifted and that's no fluke. Simpson hasn't improved one bit since he made his debut for us in the Championship.

:lol:

howay man, not improved since his first game ? crazy.. and Santon moved over to RB in a wide open game where Blackburn ended up going more route one, not much came down the flank for him to have to cope with.

Aye i'm not saying the England call up claims were founded like, but he certainly never recieved this level of prolonged hatred last year. I disagree with the "never improved" bit like, he was good for decent periods last season.

Guest Rey Mysterio

howay man, not improved since his first game ? crazy.. and Santon moved over to RB in a wide open game where Blackburn ended up going more route one, not much came down the flank for him to have to cope with.

Blackburn didn't alter the way they played all game long, it was route one from start to finish. Makes a massive difference to to team when someone who is half comfortable in possession is at full back.

Seem to remember someone saying fullbacks make the most touches of any player in the team? Not sure if that's true or not but Santon & Raylor has to be the way forward until Jan.

Were you at the game Skirge?  Getting really confusing today with people speaking as if they saw the match when they didn't?  Radio coverage is shit and seems pretty hard to judge anyone, especially over the course of 90 minutes which is why I have abstained from praising/slating our players today.  Lowes gets over excited about everything and Anderson is just constantly depressed, difficult to tell WTF is going on half the time.

But yeah, Simpson is a very average defender.  Does get a bit too much criticism though.

Thought Santon looked better on the right than on the left, but that is maybe because he was replacing Simpson.

Come January I'd like to see Santon play on the right and a proper left back signed. We are also crying out for some cover at centre back (I suppose that was what the Ridgewell big was meant to do).

Perch has a head like a 50 pence peace and having him and Simpson on the right hand side of our defence was like a footballing version of the chuckle brothers.