Real Madrid weigh up bid for Fabricio Coloccini

Thespence

Guest Heneage

DCMK, how do you explain Sol Campbell being in the Premier League despite his lack of pace?

Bassong had his bad games aswell. He was better than Colo but then he's quicker and stronger, you'd expect him to deal better with players running at him. We need to get Colo the right partner because like it or not he's our best central defender, by a distance.

How you think he'd perform in the PL next season if we go up?

Depends on the midfield really. The fact is still there, our midfield bar maybe Smith provides little cover, Jonas helps Jose out, but through the middle we have one man trying to do 2 mens work. The best teams are teams that move together as one unit.

Strength, good positioning, experience.

How can Colo be compared to Campbell anyway?

The reading of the game, if you can read a game well it CAN allow for a lack of pace , Fabio Cannavaro proved that. I have hope for Coloccini, people forget Vidic and Evra took time to settle.

He played 38 games.  He is doing well in the Championship now though.. lets all delude ourselves that his flaws wont be exposed in that league again.

So what you get one season to adjust and that's it? Keep deluding yourself to the team's flaws then. A midfield that even now isn't the best in this league, a CB partner who himself was no experienced head or bastient of defensive strength, and another one who didn't speak the same language as him and had just moved from France himself. 4 managers in your first season, a club that was in the papers every day for off field troubles and you wonder why he didn't settle, come on man be sensible.

Bassong managed to be a success, 1st season, not played much football in his career.  Playing behind that midfield, with a partner who couldn't speak the same language.  4 managers in your first season, a club that was in the papers every day for off field troubles .. but Bassong amazingly did excel here.

Biggest difference was - he had pace and a bit of strength about him.  Why couldn't our Argentine international perform as well..  i see 'midfield' again and not settling?  Maybe its because important attributes to his game were not up to scratch - but it couldn't be as simple as that, right? 

Since he is doing so well now.

We will agree to disagree, but just as with Jose Enrique, had he picked a more stable club I gurantee he'd be considered an established Premier Leauge player.

I've alluded to this in other posts, he has the spanish habit of trying to intercept. Mostly it works, on that occassion it clearly didn't. But the goal was by no mean his fault.

None of them ever are. ;)

Can you name me specific examples of these goals though? Your opinion doesn't count otherwise.

I've alluded to this in other posts, he has the spanish habit of trying to intercept. Mostly it works, on that occassion it clearly didn't. But the goal was by no mean his fault.

None of them ever are. ;)

Can you name me specific examples of these goals though? Your opinion doesn't count otherwise.

I can't name any that couldn't be explained away by his apparent Spanishness.

Agree with dcmk mostly.

Colo wasnt up for it last season & you cant make excuses for him. As of yet there is no real reason to believe he'll be able to step up this time either.

HOPEFULLY he'll have more confidence, better positioning & decision making after this season. Because as said, he doesnt have the attributes to do make up for it as others might when he cocks it up.

Agree with dcmk mostly.

Colo wasnt up for it last season & you cant make excuses for him. As of yet there is no real reason to believe he'll be able to step up this time either.

HOPEFULLY he'll have more confidence, better positioning & decision making after this season. Because as said, he doesnt have the attributes to do make up for it as others might when he cocks it up.

don't think it was lack of confidence as much as not having a clue what was going on footbal wise and getting sod all help to get through it.

tough call if someone offered us a small loss on the deal, personally as a sentamentalist and he hasn't hid i'd like to see him have another crack in the prem with us......hopefully

Agree with dcmk mostly.

excuses heres a few, new country, new language, league plays utterly differently to what you have been playing for last few years and above all else the chaos we were in last year.

DCMK, how do you explain Sol Campbell being in the Premier League despite his lack of pace?

Bassong had his bad games aswell. He was better than Colo but then he's quicker and stronger, you'd expect him to deal better with players running at him. We need to get Colo the right partner because like it or not he's our best central defender, by a distance.

How you think he'd perform in the PL next season if we go up?

Depends on the midfield really. The fact is still there, our midfield bar maybe Smith provides little cover, Jonas helps Jose out, but through the middle we have one man trying to do 2 mens work. The best teams are teams that move together as one unit.

Strength, good positioning, experience.

How can Colo be compared to Campbell anyway?

The reading of the game, if you can read a game well it CAN allow for a lack of pace , Fabio Cannavaro proved that. I have hope for Coloccini, people forget Vidic and Evra took time to settle.

He played 38 games.  He is doing well in the Championship now though.. lets all delude ourselves that his flaws wont be exposed in that league again.

At least he doesn't throw sickies every time his national side plays unlike the bloke in your avatar.

Hopeless today, dominated by another no-mark centre forward, really needs a physical centre half alongside him. Also proved that a lot of his 'good play' relies on having Enrique alongside him to get him out of trouble.

He usually has a physical centre half alongside him in Taylor, a defender you have championed in the past. Strangely Tayloy usually ends up handling in the 6 yard box rather than dominating aerial battles when the goals go in against.

Hopeless today, dominated by another no-mark centre forward, really needs a physical centre half alongside him. Also proved that a lot of his 'good play' relies on having Enrique alongside him to get him out of trouble.

He usually has a physical centre half alongside him in Taylor, a defender you have championed in the past. Strangely Tayloy usually ends up handling in the 6 yard box rather than dominating aerial battles when the goals go in against.

Do you actually have a point to make? His game massively relies on others and he got exposed time and time again today.

Unless you saw the game today to disagree??

Do you actually have a point to make? His game massively relies on others and he got exposed time and time again today.

Unless you saw the game today to disagree??

I made my point already, just re-read the post if you are confused. I didn't see the game but I've sat alongside plenty of clueless twats at St James for me to disregard that line of reasoning in all fairness.

Guest Heneage

Tbf, it's a team game, its about creating a defensive unit, who help each other out, Id imagine theres times Coloccini has bailed others out. I think we are a right back away from a solid back line if I'm honest.

Same argument could be used for Kruls last few games & he still took slack over individual mistakes.

That type of thing is more likely to happen with an unfamiliar back line. Doesnt mean much till it starts happening in games with the rest of the first team & hopefully it wont.

Tbf, it's a team game, its about creating a defensive unit, who help each other out, Id imagine theres times Coloccini has bailed others out. I think we are a right back away from a solid back line if I'm honest.

Spot on Nixy. Simpson's alright though.

Guest Stephen927

Its not about playing him alongside a more physical defender, as the bigger striker will always go up against the weaker defender unless the player and his manager are completely clueless.

Its not about playing him alongside a more physical defender, as the bigger striker will always go up against the weaker defender unless the player and his manager are completely clueless.

:facepalm:

I'd actually be gutted if Coloccini left now. Not only for the fact he's playing well and may well have improved sufficiently to be adequate in the Premier League. But also (and bare in mind this is in stark contrast to last season), there's something i just love about foreigners - who would have no logical attachment to the club - who seem to love playing for the club, and go nuts when we score, etc. I thought last season Colo couldn't give a shit and i don't think it was unfair to assume he wanted out at several points... but when Nolan goes on about how a select few wanted to stay and knuckle down, it's just nice to see with a player like Coloccini.

He could have been out of here, back in Spain, and back in the Argie squad due to nothing but a transfer. But he's stayed, looks fucking chuffed to be top of the league, and is playing well. He's probably on extortionate wages i know, but i don't think he could do much more at the moment. He hasn't looked back since that goal at Cardiff.