Newcastle United 0 - 0 Derby County - 28/12/09 - post match reaction from p12

Dave

Why were our fans singing ''your support is f**king sh*t'' to the Derby fans?

Dunno as I didn't start the singing.. but I did think their fans were very poor for most of the game. Barely heard a peep from them, and when I did it was basically a mumble and a bit of a clap.

Played a lot worse and won, sometimes you have to hold your hands up & accept it's not your day. It's a rare team can keep up the same level of performance over the 90 mins. Derby defended a lot better 2nd half, sat back a bit further to stop the ball down the channel/over the top and a result our lack of creativity was our downfall was more

Played a lot worse and won, sometimes you have to hold your hands up & accept it's not your day. It's a rare team can keep up the same level of performance over the 90 mins. Derby defended a lot better 2nd half, sat back a bit further to stop the ball down the channel/over the top and a result our lack of creativity was our downfall was more

I didn't feel we were going to lose it, but felt if we were going to score it was going to come from only one of two - Shola or Nolan

And thats not encouraging.

Right, finally warmed up.

Our play in the first 20 or so minutes was that of a team top of the league, although the finishing said otherwise. Some of the football and the passing was beautiful and I really thought at that point it'd be easily 3/4-0.

We put the pressure on and kept creating chances, corner after corner, Derby were making mistakes, needlessly fouling players and generally looking out of their depth.

A good save, a near miss, a shot over the bar, Taylor's freekick hit the post...then it was kind of getting repetitive - we were creating but not finishing. Still though, all looked good for the second half.

Then we came out and just turned to mush. Gave them a bit of space and their tails went up slightly and we were on the back foot. We were getting half chances and making lazy runs. It was all getting frustrating. Nolan was walking straight into challenges, Smith was needlessly lunging at people, Shola was back to his old self with touch of a donkey, Enrique's distribution was woeful. At times he couldn't find a man that was 4 yards away from him.

Mind you, they offered nothing. A few decent spells but on the whole there for the taking, and there could have easily been less than 10 men come the end of the game. We just didn't grab the opportunity with two hands.

Harper - 6.5 - Not alot to do really. A few dodgy kicks, but on the whole OK.

Simpson - 6 - Average. Was overpowered on several occaisons but was left exposed by other defenders.

Taylor - 6.5 - Decent game, no real mistakes.

Colocinni - 6.5 - See above. Should have had a pop of goal when the ball landed to him from a corner, but hesitated.

Enrique - 5 - Definitely his worst game this season. Dunno what happened, looked a different man out there today.

R. Taylor - 6 - Average. Well taken freekick which was unlucky to hit the bar, positioning was questionable at times.

Smith - 6.5 - Typical Smith performance. Few good challenges, few ridiculous challenges.

Nolan - 5.5 - Made a couple of decent chances out of nothing, but on the whole offered nothing to play. Should have been Guthrie out there.

Jonas - 7 - My MOTM - I've been known for having a go at him alot this season but he's finally starting to erradicate the problems that hamper his game. Still a few questionable runs but our biggest threat going forward. Some beautiful crosses as well.

Lovenkrands - 6 - Few decent runs, definitely scared their defenders with his pace at times, but no real end product.

Carroll - 5.5 - Battled hard at times, but no end product and missed too many headers.

Subs:

Shola - 4.5 - Pass.

Ranger - 6 - His normal battling self. Decent chance, should have scored but couldnt have done more to make it happen.

Pancrate - 5.5 - Ran around alot. A few decent passes and runs. I still like him.

Guest michaelfoster

Well played Derby, came for a point and got it, fair play to them, we were awful.

S.Taylor, Coloccini & Jones played well but the latter needs to learn not to dive as much.

Enrique, Simpson, Nolan were poor

Harper needs to learn to distribute 10 x faster than he does

Ameobi, Ranger & Pancrate did nothing of note when they came on

Awful today tbh

Harper - 6

Enrique - 5.5

S.Taylor - 6

Coloccini - 6.5

Simpson - 5.5

Jonas - 7

Smith - 5.5

Nolan - 5.5

R.Taylor - 5

Carroll - 6

Lovenkrands - 6.5

Ameobi - 5

Ranger - 5

Pancrate - 5.5

First half was ok. We were playing on the fact they had no pace at the back and couldn't play the offside trap to save their lives. It doesn't take a genius mind, anyone who's seen Derby's defence would know that's the way to play against them.

So why the fuck did we resort to the usual long ball game in the second half ??

Just got back from the game, think I can safely say the Derby fans were the fans who have made the most noise at St. James' this season.

Harper 7 - Done nowt wrong, some good saves as well, wasnt tested much. Distribution was slow and predictable.

Simpson 6.5 - Hit and miss really, hardly called upon defensively, ordinary championship performance.

Taylor 7 - Should have scored that header, was like in front of goal, otherwise did fine defensively.

Collocini 7.5 - Done really well defending and attacking.

Enrique 7.5 - Think other teams are starting to find out about the Jonas/Enrique link up and it didnt work very well today, otherwise a good performance.

R. Taylor 5 - Why did he start ahead of Guthrie? Good free kick, but offered nowt else.

Nolan 6 - Tired, and slow as f***.

Smith 7 - His usual self.

Jonas 6.5 - Perfect, but again not for the first time, his delivery and crosses are poor.

Carroll 5.5 - Instead of dominating in the air, played like a mouse on ice.

Lovenkrands 6 - Did not find himself in the right spot, put in a average hit and miss performance.

Pancrate 6.5 - Looked much better than Raylor once he got on.

Amoebi 6 - Slow and unproductful.

Ranger 6.5 - Kept fighting for headers and for the ball, really unlucky not to score.

Hughton got it wrong today for me, why did he start Raylor ahead of Pancrate and Guthrie, and why did he not even Sub Guthrie in? Guthrie has been creating our goals this season with about 9 assists. Another thing is, should have not gone with Lovenkrands/Carroll this partnership does not work Carroll/Amoebi works, Harewood/Lovenkrands works as well, but really Lovenkrands should start with Carroll ahead of Amoebi(even with his average performance today).

Derby fans were chuffed they got a point, I suppose thats what they came for. I will be worried if we dont beat Reading, as they are a woeful team, and are AWFUL at home. WBA at home next with a couple of hard games like Cardiff and Leicester coming up after that, could make or break our season.

Well played Derby, came for a point and got it, fair play to them, we were awful.

Bollocks man. They were woeful, they were there to just ruffle a few feathers. Offered nothing in terms of play and should have had about 3 men sent off. They were just needlessly going in for fouls and challenges.

CH is a tinkerman he just cant fucking help himself. At Coventry, we kept a clean sheet & both Shola & Ranger scored, next game against Barnsley a defender in Simpson is dropped & neither goalscorer starts. Today, Guthrie who has either directly or been part of the build up in 3 of the 4 goals scored in the last 2 games & Shola who has scored in the last 2 are both on the bench.

What the fuck is he doing to the players at half time?

S.Taylor, Coloccini & Jones played well but the latter needs to learn not to dive as much.

Enrique, Simpson, Nolan were poor

Harper needs to learn to distribute 10 x faster than he does

Ameobi, Ranger & Pancrate did nothing of note when they came on

Awful today tbh

'cept did brilliantly to hit the bar like.

Steven Taylor was so fucking frustrating, giving away fouls when he didn't need to. The amount of times he does something rash is bloody ridiculous. That missed chance just made him worse as well, going in twice as fucking hard to try and compensate.

A complete and utter nugget who needs to be taken down a peg, because the fans all think he's a nugget too.

I'd add Lovenkrands to that & 99% of the time Rangers chance would go in, although from what I've seen from him he doesn't look the most confident infront of goal 

I didn't feel we were going to lose it, but felt if we were going to score it was going to come from only one of two - Shola or Nolan

And thats not encouraging.