Jermaine Beckford signs for Everton. Yey!

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest toonlass

Personally I cannot see any Premiership clubs taking a gamble on Beckford purely because he is unproven above League 1 and no matter what anyone says it is a massive step from League 1 to Premiership. Leeds might just be shooting themselves in the foot if they chose not to accept this, as Beckford will be unhappy that they have blocked his move to a club that could be in the Premiership in 6 months, and he can move for a free in 6 months time anyway. Beckford knows that Newcastle want him, we represent a good chance of playing higher level football and very possibly in the premiership next season, and therefore would he really be interested in moving to another championship club, say Sheffield United or Preston (just two clubs picked off the top of my head) who are lower down in the league?

Guest Stephen927

Personally I cannot see any Premiership clubs taking a gamble on Beckford purely because he is unproven above League 1 and no matter what anyone says it is a massive step from League 1 to Premiership. Leeds might just be shooting themselves in the foot if they chose not to accept this, as Beckford will be unhappy that they have blocked his move to a club that could be in the Premiership in 6 months, and he can move for a free in 6 months time anyway. Beckford knows that Newcastle want him, we represent a good chance of playing higher level football and very possibly in the premiership next season, and therefore would he really be interested in moving to another championship club, say Sheffield United or Preston (just two clubs picked off the top of my head) who are lower down in the league?

I read somewhere on here that Beckfords agent has said that Beckford doesn't feel he needs to move anymore and wants to help Leeds into the Championship, though he'd consider a move if it was financially important to the club. Possibly trying to keep the fans happy if it turns out we can't meet the asking price and no one else comes in for him.

The last line or two in the article may be the telling thing. They probably honestly believe that more offers will come in for him from other clubs. I'm not too sure there will be that many clubs this transfer window with the money to buy.

For all his impressive stats, the thing that has to be taking into consideration with Beckford is he's never played at a higher level than league 1, he's already 26 so not exactly a youngster and of course only has 6 months left on his contract.

They could be trying to bluff us into paying above the odds here, but they could also be thinking that if they hung on to him and they will in all likelihood get promotion back to the Championship, then Beckford will resign with them. They'll know him better than us of course, the big question will be does he want to be playing in the PL next season or is he prepared to wait a year in the Championship to get there. I can see Leeds doing back to back promotions tbh. I also think Beckford himself will be happy to wait until the summer, his profile is high enough for a lower tier PL club to take a chance on him for a free transfer.

The more I think about this transfer the more I can't see it coming off, the only party that has real desire to make it happen is Newcastle, I'm afraid that won't be enough. So with the Kilgallon deal dead and this one unlikely it's back to square one, we've been down this road before :(

If we were willing to spend 6-10 million that it will cost to on un-earthing  a genuine young football talent that every other club was also in for that might be a valid point, but for 1.5 million all we are going to get is old trundlers, lower league cloggers or the likes of Beckford who hasn't proved anything yet but there is at least some hope he could look like a prem striker.

Guest toonlass

I read somewhere on here that Beckfords agent has said that Beckford doesn't feel he needs to move anymore and wants to help Leeds into the Championship, though he'd consider a move if it was financially important to the club. Possibly trying to keep the fans happy if it turns out we can't meet the asking price and no one else comes in for him.

Well that would suggest a lack of ambition on his part then too and I cannot imagine that tbh. Beckford has a chance to play higher league football while trebling his wages at the same time. I still think we are being short sighted and would rather we had a proven premiership striker (and still think a midfielder is more important) but if we are going for him then I hardly think half a million is going to be a stumbling block when no-one else has come in for him and Leeds are going to lose him for nothing in the summer.

Guest Stephen927

Well that would suggest a lack of ambition on his part then too and I cannot imagine that tbh. Beckford has a chance to play higher league football while trebling his wages at the same time. I still think we are being short sighted and would rather we had a proven premiership striker (and still think a midfielder is more important) but if we are going for him then I hardly think half a million is going to be a stumbling block when no-one else has come in for him and Leeds are going to lose him for nothing in the summer.

It depends how Leeds see it. Do they think it will be worth losing out on £500k-£1m so that he can help fire them into the Championship, or do they think there is someone else out there who can come in and score the goals that they will lose with his departure?

I can see them turning it down, just for the main reason of us being Newcastle United. Then Becks going to someone like Spurs on a free.  :sadnod:

You just know someone else will come in after our interest & he'll end up doing brilliantly Arshavin style.

I hope you haven't just compared Beckford to Arshavin.

Hes done alright tbf, maybe not on Beckfords level though i take your point

Just the usual crap to keep the fans happy and him not being the bad guy, means now that he can turn around and say it was better financially and all round for the club if I left, it mean that the club can get someone of similar ability in and make some much needed money in the process.

90% of Footballers say that crap when they move to another club and reporters ask why they decided to move instead of staying.

Just the usual crap to keep the fans happy and him not being the bad guy, means now that he can turn around and say it was better financially and all round for the club if I left, it mean that the club can get someone of similar ability in and make some much needed money in the process.

90% of Footballers say that crap when they move to another club and reporters ask why they decided to move instead of staying.

Yep. Still think he'll end up here, although it might be in the summer rather than January.

He's still favourite to end up here on SkyBet (5/6) but Villa are now second in the betting at 2/1. They were 20's a couple of days ago.

I'd be amazed if O'Neill was interested mind.

Guest Stephen927

Its the only way you can play it in his situation tbh, I don't blame him.

If he truely felt that way then he would sign a new contract with them. That would raise his value and priove that he wants to stay with the club and is not looking to maximise his earnings by becoming a free agent at the end of the season. As you say, he's just probably saying all that crap to keep the Leeds fans sweet. If I were them I'd be asking him to prove it by signing a new contract.

Beckford has handed in a transfer request - 5 Live

I was just about to mention the possibility of handing in a transfer request.  Hope its true, surely they have to start being realistic if he's officially asking to leave.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leeds_united/8444552.stm

Leeds United striker Jermaine Beckford has handed in a transfer request, his agent has told BBC Radio 5 live.

Beckford, 26, scored United's goal as they clinched a shock 1-0 win over Manchester United at Old Trafford in round three of the FA Cup on Sunday.

He has been linked with a move away from the League One leaders to Championships side Newcastle.

Beckford, who joined the Elland Road outfit from non-League Wealdstone in 2006, is out of contract in the summer.

Beckford's agent guest on Collymore's show.

Phil Smith has been his agent (works with Nick Rubery) ever since Beckford was playing for Wealdstone. Thinks he will remain at Leeds to see the season out and achieve the promotion the club are striving for.

There have been enquiries from a number of clubs (Premier League & Championship) but no firm offers. Phil Smith thinks a fee of 3-4m is needed for Leeds to listen. Says Beckford is very ambitious, very confident and will not move anywhere to sit on the bench. He is not an impact player. Collymore said he is best stopping at Leeds under Grayson where he is doing well and the agent said this is one scenario but things will come to a head in the summer.

Phil Smith, Chief Operating Officer for First Artist, the agency that handles him, is on and get this:

He's not looking to leave and wants to get us promoted and we aren't looking to sell him. There's been no contact so far.

He wants to learn more and get better, doesn't want to go to a team and sit on the bench.

Leeds not letting him go for less than 3.5m-4m in his opinion.

He doesn't want to go but if Leeds accept a fee they will see what their options are

Says Nick Rubery works with him closely and they're trying to make him more media savvy because he's a bit "bruv this and bruv that!".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leeds_united/8444552.stm

Leeds United striker Jermaine Beckford has handed in a transfer request, his agent has told BBC Radio 5 live.

Beckford, 26, scored United's goal as they clinched a shock 1-0 win over Manchester United at Old Trafford in round three of the FA Cup on Sunday.

He has been linked with a move away from the League One leaders to Championships side Newcastle.

Beckford, who joined the Elland Road outfit from non-League Wealdstone in 2006, is out of contract in the summer.

Don't you just love agents?

So much for the I'll only go if it's right for the club speach. Either he wants to come to Newcastle, or another team like Villa have came in for him, and he wants to go there. Too early to tell at the moment.