Jermaine Beckford signs for Everton. Yey!

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Stephen927

Selling Shola now would be madness with our promotion hinging on it, but I would not be against offloading him in the summer, as he is nowhere near good enough to keep us up next season (providing we get promoted). Our strikeforce, as well as our midfield, will require significant investment if we want a shot at staying up next season (I don't think any of our strikers are of the required level, so we probably need at least two new strikers in, with the likes of Loven, Ranger, etc as backup at best).

Yep, I agree with that. Shouldn't be too hard to sell Ameobi onto a Championship team if we are promoted, though saying that will he want to move, as I'm sure I remember him being on the brink of a move to a Championship team (I'm tempted to say Wolves or Stoke) but turned them down as he wanted to stay here.. and now with his contract he doesn't have to move for a while yet so we'll probably be stuck with him being the back-up to whatever new strikers we may sign.

Guest Phil K

Selling Shola now would be madness with our promotion hinging on it, but I would not be against offloading him in the summer,

Yeah, thats right. Personally, i wouldn't get rid of him at all.

He IS scoring. His fitness has got a permanent question mark against it.

That more than anything has me doubting Shola.

No doubting his ability to find the net

Beckford is the same. Knows where the net is.

As of 11AM the skybet market has closed on Beckford. Got a call 5 minutes ago from a pal who's a compiler at a bookmaker I wont reveal, apparently yesterday someone placed £2000 on Beckford joining us.

Skirge?

He will not be joining us. He will go to a relegation threatened PL team.

We will recall Harwood from Villa

Depends on how desperate he is ,imho joining us on the up compared to a team in the bottom 6 apart from West ham (London boy) is a no no unless hes not bothered.

It is not about status of the club. It is about who will bid the highest for him and I can see an Everton or a Bolton or a Wigan coming in with a 2.5 million plkus bid for him because Ashley will sit on his hands as usual.

Is it not illegal to misquote people? other than that you can build any kind of stories out of utter fabrication but the quoting bit has to be solid.

It shouldn't happen but it does in every paper, every day, up and down the country.

The reason that they get away with it is because most people can't be arsed to complain and/or want the publicity anyway.

You sir, are/is (spelling? Dave?) an oracle in flesh

Well, this is the best that google news has to offer me after countless refreshes of the page, i thought i may as well come out of it with something, even if it be utter trash  :rolleyes:

Guest Geordiesned

To be honest I'm just excited that we might be about to pay money for a player for the first time in a long time. Not so much who the player actually is!

I'd sell Ameobi and get Beckford and some remotely creative player - George Boyd, Chris Cohen or Kris Commons

Aye, we're struggling to score goals so lets sell our best striker, ingenius.

Yep, Ren - thought I was the only one to see the bleeding obvious on the subject of Shola. (Which is pretty depressing isn't it ?)

Well said, Bro - totally mystified by some of the posts on Ameobi.

:gayfight:

The day you make a post that is worth reading will be a first.

One liners need to be witty.

Try it sometime.

Was it you going on about Ameobi ?

Mmm. Not moronic enough for you, is it ?  :uglystupid2:

Coming from one of Pilko's Playground Pals, it's a bit rich anyway !  ;D

5'2", and angry as f***.

Never asked for your height nor your pathetic mental condition.

Never more than one line. What does that tell others about YOU ?

Go on, I can hear Pilko shouting.

Probably needs you to wipe his arse for him.

:lol:

I couldn't give a shit, mate. I think Pilko is a massive arse licker, but I'd still pick his side if it means I get to wind you up... titch.

Thanks, I think? :lol:

I wish he'd stop mentioning me in every post, it's becoming an obsession.

PHIL HAY: A Beckford deal was always on the cards

Published Date:  08 January 2010

By Phil Hay

Inside Elland Road

The tone of the coverage devoted to Jermaine Beckford and his value as a footballing commodity has given the impression that the matter is a cause of angst at Elland Road.

It is logical to draw the conclusion that Leeds United would panic at the thought of losing their most consistent striker, but the air around the club is undeniably sedate if not altogether relaxed. Even after receiving a transfer request from Beckford, the situation is Leeds' to dictate.

For several weeks there has been a feeling in both Tyneside and Yorkshire that Beckford would be a Newcastle United player by the end of this month. Every player has his price, particularly one whose contract expires in less than six months' time, and Newcastle have made three attempts to reach it.

The move would be worth his while financially with Newcastle prepared to treble his wages to around £15,000-a-week. They can also say, with credibility, that he is likely have the opportunity to play in the Premier League next season, as big a promise as he could ask for.

Seen in that context, Beckford's request was not so much dramatic as an inevitable response to the hard bargain that Leeds are attempting to drive with the Magpies. He intends to leave but United want to see their valuation recognised.

The precedent for both Leeds and Beckford is known to anyone who understands how this sport works. A player who asks to leave a club is generally granted his wish, acrimoniously or otherwise and often against the club's wishes. That is professional football.

The scenario where Beckford remains at Elland Road beyond the end of this transfer window is now implausible if not impossible, but there is no suggestion that Leeds or their manager are feeling any pressure to make a decision. However fixated Beckford is on walking away from Elland Road, the strongest hand has always been Simon Grayson's to play.

The 40-year-old preferred scenario – forgetting the unrealistic idea that Beckford might extend his contract – was to retain the marksman for the rest of the season. Perhaps it still is. His reasoning for that would be perfectly understandable. To quote Hartlepool United's manager, Chris Turner: "If Beckford's still here at the end of January, his goals will take Leeds up by a mile."

A simplistic opinion but nonetheless astute. It is unlikely – some might say inconceivable – that Leeds in their present state will fail to accumulate the 30-odd points required to take them out of League One. Not home and dry but further forward than even Grayson envisaged. Players like Beckford and others in his squad are too reliable to waste this opportunity.

United's manager repeatedly insisted that if he felt the need to keep the 26-year-old for the remaining four months then Beckford would stay. The noises from Elland Road say the decision is Grayson's and his alone, though Beckford's transfer request makes that judgement more delicate.

The only thing more damaging than selling a prized player is retaining one whose desire to leave drags the mood of the dressing room down with him.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/PHIL-HAY-A-Beckford-deal.5964947.jp

Is it possible for Beckford to sign a pre-contract with us before the end of the season? Then we could let him run down his contract with a few half-arsed displays at Elland Road and deny them any transfer fee. We could use the money saved to bring Marlon back on loan if we are desperate for a striker.

We hear so much about his bad attitude if he does have such a thing are Leeds really going to force him stay? They are just bing cunts they know fine well they will be selling him this month.

Have you forgotten which massive cunt is the chairman of Leeds?