Jermaine Beckford signs for Everton. Yey!

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Maybe we should sign Rickie Lambert who's scored loads in League 1 but hasn't had a chance in the PL?

Funny you should say that.

Newcastle keeping tabs on Southampton striker - John Cross , The Mirror

Newcastle are checking on Southampton’s League One top scorer Rickie Lambert.

Lambert has already played for Bristol Rovers and Saints but Newcastle have enquired whether they could get round Football League rules by signing him on loan with a view to a permanent summer move.

Leeds are also watching developments as Newcastle have been in the hunt for want-away striker Jermaine Beckford.

FRAZZLE

If Chopra is so good then, why is he still not with a premiership club?

Furthermore, why should we be looking at a striker who hasnt scored since last september and is currently rated 4th choice by his extremely average club?

macca, good arguments, we could go round in circles, but I'd ask again, why isn't Beckford even in a Championship team at all?  There are arguments against both Chopra and Beckford and ideally we'd have other targets as well.

I just think in a head to head between them, I think I might plump for Chopra.  :undecided:  I just don't understand the view that Chopra is some washed up has been whilst Beckford is a striker that will score goals whichever league he is in.

@ Skirge

I said it wasn't a very good argument because Beckford has never had the chance to play higher than League 1 football.  He's older than Chopra though (by a few days I admit), so why not?

Chopra seems to have tarnished his reputation because he hasn't got a one in two record in the PL.  Beckford hasn't even got a one in two record in the Championship, let's see if he can do that first.

I'm not writing Beckford off and I really hope he scores bucket loads for us in the Championship and PL if he signs, let's not go on as if he's the best striker available though.

@ Jonny

Read my post properly: "Not a very strong argument because Beckford hasn't had chances at the higher levels", I realise that.  I just don't see the logic in giving Beckford the benefit of the doubt because he's never played PL football (remember we could say this about most League strikers) over Chopra (who is the same age) and has scored a few goals at PL level.

As I said, if Chopra had never played in the PL I'm sure everyone would be saying the same things they are about Beckford.

Maybe we should sign Rickie Lambert who's scored loads in League 1 but hasn't had a chance in the PL?

I can see the logic mate, just as far as Chopra go's he had his chance here and IF we do not get Beckford I would not look at Chopra. I think as a club we put to much on this "local lad" bollocks its why Carroll gets his chance, to me he is just another Chopra.

I am hoping Beckford turns out to be the next Ian Wright :lol:

Long shot I know but worth the punt.

Apparently, according to the Sunday Sun, WBA are looking to sign Matt Fryatt from Leicester City. Now, pound for pound for the money, I would rather have him instead of Boyd, Beckford or Chopra but I cannot see Leicester releasing him because technically, they are still a chance for the play offs. However, money talks.

Apparently, according to the Sunday Sun, WBA are looking to sign Matt Fryatt from Leicester City. Now, pound for pound for the money, I would rather have him instead of Boyd, Beckford or Chopra but I cannot see Leicester releasing him because technically, they are still a chance for the play offs. However, money talks.

Fucking hell.

FFS just get Marlon Harewood back on loan and put us out of our misery.

VILLA OFFER STRIKER TO NEWCASTLE - News of the World

ASTON VILLA have offered striker Marlon Harewood to Newcastle for a cut-price £1.5million.

Harewood, 31, scored five goals during a loan spell at St James' Park but was sent back when Villa demanded a loan fee on top of the £28,000-a-week wages they were paying.

Villa acted after realising Magpies were chasing Leeds striker Jermaine Beckford instead of going for their man.

They have pitched the asking price at the same level as Beckford's current worth in the hope Newcastle will pick the experienced Harewood instead.

Hull are also monitoring the forward's situation but have yet to make a formal bid.

If the above story is true, no way would I pay that for Harewood.

Skirge

Yes, I know but I am trying to teach him some common sense. Maybe all the snow you lot have had over there is icing his brain.

My main concern is the next couple of weeks. We need someone to score goals. I watched the Forest - WBA game this afternooin and I was really impressed with Forest. I think they will go close to automatic promotion. If we fail to beat WBA next monday, my fear is that we will fall into obscurity.

I couldnt believe we failed to beat derby at home and especially now having seen their result against Scunthorpe. My worry is that we will continue to drop stupid points and fail to finish in the top two unless we sign a skilled goalscorer. Beckford seems the best of a bad lot at present. Chopra isnt the answer and for what Villa are asking, neither is Harewood.