Shearer as Bolton Manager?

Elric

my instinct said "no, no, shearer's ours", but it really is for the best if he learns the trade somewhere else. he then makes his mistakes somewhere else and hence he'd be better prepared for when he becomes our manager (which obviously will happen, of course it will).

Personally, Bolton can have him. I would much rather have Speed as our manager than Shearer.

In my opinion, Shearer does not have the managerial ability, tactical know how to match his ever growing ego to cut the mustard with the likes of the top managers in our game. That was well and truly proven last season.

Shearer does not have the managerial ability, tactical know how to match his ever growing ego to cut the mustard with the likes of the top managers in our game. That was well and truly proven last season.

It was?

The only thing that was proven at this club last year was that endemic instabilty is a recipe for footballing failure.  Shearer deserves a managerial chance in a more stable environment.  Bolton would be a decent place for him to cut his managerial teeth.

Personally, Bolton can have him. I would much rather have Speed as our manager than Shearer.

In my opinion, Shearer does not have the managerial ability, tactical know how to match his ever growing ego to cut the mustard with the likes of the top managers in our game. That was well and truly proven last season.

Had a better record than Hughton last season. Fact.

So did Tony Adams, Sammy Lee and everyone else who's managed in the Premiership. He had a worse record than one of our worst managers ever  :kinnear:.

So did Tony Adams, Sammy Lee and everyone else who's managed in the Premiership. He had a worse record than one of our worst managers ever  :kinnear:.

And yet Hughton, having cleared out the shite who did most to get us relegated, is now doing pretty well. There's nothing to suggest Shearer wouldn't be doing the same, or better.

And yet Hughton, having cleared out the s**** who did most to get us relegated, is now doing pretty well. There's nothing to suggest Shearer wouldn't be doing the same, or better.

Hmmm...what do you mean with that bolded line? Hughton has got rid of Bassong, Beye, Martins and Duff so far...and most certainly they did not get us relegated :kasper:

At least Shearer tried to change something with his subs when the things wasn't going too well and most of the time he got them correct while Hughton shouldn't be even allowed to do subs as it only gets worse! It's all about the quality IMO...the gap between the leagues is just huge!

Shearer failed dismally by not achieving the results required against very ordinary teams ike Fulham and Portsmouth at home during that 8 games stint. The fact he seemed unable to motivate the likes of Owen, Viduka and Martins to show much of an attacking threat in those games says it all.

The fact he could not motivate the players at Villa in the last game of the season to show any sort of backbone to fight for the club also says it all for me.

Shearer needs to learn his trade elsewhere first rather than being put to the test with us. If Hughton fails, we need a manager with experience like a Roy Hodgson to stabilise us rather an egocentric wannabee like Shearer.

Guest Stephen927

Fair enough, part of the managers job is to motivate the players, but the players also have a responsibility to motivate themselves. Shearer cannot fully take the blame for that.

Shearer failed dismally by not achieving the results required against very ordinary teams ike Fulham and Portsmouth at home during that 8 games stint. The fact he seemed unable to motivate the likes of Owen, Viduka and Martins to show much of an attacking threat in those games says it all.

The fact he could not motivate the players at Villa in the last game of the season to show any sort of backbone to fight for the club also says it all for me.

Shearer needs to learn his trade elsewhere first rather than being put to the test with us. If Hughton fails, we need a manager with experience like a Roy Hodgson to stabilise us rather an egocentric wannabee like Shearer.

He DID motivate Viduka tbh. I also think Shearer could and should have done better and should have probably kept us up - but in terms of motivation I think he did allright. Owen and Butt for example played much much better in Shearers first match vs. Chelsea than they did the time before under Hughton. And Viduka would have never ever played for us again if Shearer had not been.

Agreed about the player motivation factor but how many goals did we score in those last 8 games and how many did the front three get?

As far as I can recall, Martins got 1 and Owen and Viduka didnt get any. Against teams like Portsmouth and Fulham at home, I would have expected goals from these players. I remember several bad misses and Viduka a bit unfortunate to have one chalked off against Fulham, but that was it.

Hell, we were even lucky Carroll scored at Stoke.

I am sorry but he failed to convince me that he has the tactical know how at premiership level.

Guest Stephen927

There is only so far you can go with good tactics, the rest is up to the players. Shearer has his faults as a manager but if he goes onto be a success at whatever club, even Bolton then fair play to him. He had 8 games to stop the rot with players that simply were not upto the task.