The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The bottom line is, I have more confidence in West Brom and whoever else comes to survive than us. Without significant investment in the team we all know which current midfielder will start 30+ league games next season and effectively have us playing with ten men from the kick off (for the 3rd season running).

He has to go.

Why? They may play "pretty" football but we have been more effective, "pretty" football doesn't do much good in the premiership either unless you have the players and I can't see them spending £100m+ to do it.

Where did I mention pretty football?

I think Bob Matthews and Nigel Pearson (I'm convinved it's Leicester winning the playoffs) will go into next season fully aware that the weakest aspect of the team will need to be addressed. Wont happen with us, I just can't see it.

The bottom line is, I have more confidence in West Brom and whoever else comes to survive than us. Without significant investment in the team we all know which current midfielder will start 30+ league games next season and effectively have us playing with ten men from the kick off (for the 3rd season running).

He has to go.

Why? They may play "pretty" football but we have been more effective, "pretty" football doesn't do much good in the premiership either unless you have the players and I can't see them spending £100m+ to do it.

I think Bob Matthews and Nigel Pearson (I'm convinved it's Leicester winning the playoffs) will go into next season fully aware that the weakest aspect of the team will need to be addressed. Wont happen with us, I just can't see it.

We addressed some weak spots in this transfer window, we still didn't get the central midfielder we needed but we did pretty well.

Aaaaaaand its all gone quiet over there....

spot on again today imo

The most expensive squad is doing alright in the CCC shockah!!1

I bet the smogs squad wasn't cheap and they aren't doing that well and they have a "proper" manager.

Mentioning the cost of the squad is below you anyway Parky, how many of them are worth the money they cost? There are players that cost a tenth of what some of ours cost cost in fee and wages but have performed much better than them.

You are too intelligent for that Parky, was a bit of a lazy comment.

We addressed some weak spots in this transfer window, we still didn't get the central midfielder we needed but we did pretty well.

True, we've signed a right back, got cover for left back, much needed right winger and centre halves.

I've got faith in Hughton to do the right thing in the summer.

I hope Ashley (if he decides not to sell) or the new owners will put up the cash that we need to buy some quality to add to the squad.

He has to go.

True, but who displaced within the existing squad? Kadar, Ryan Taylor perhaps, Pancrate and Ranger.

I have zero faith that Hughton will go out there and try to bring a central midfielder to the club that will edge Nolan out of the team.

Aaaaaaand its all gone quiet over there....

spot on again today imo

The most expensive squad is doing alright in the CCC shockah!!1

The usual "it's not his squad, it's _______'s!" applies. His signings have been on the cheap and effective, and as someone else said earlier he's getting ballsier and more confident with every game. What people said about Shearer 'learning the trade in a lower league' has certainly been true of Hughton this season in this league.

He has to go.

I thought you were referring to Nicky Butt.

Pretty sad that more than one player fits that description.

Hughton will lead us to our first significant domestic trophy for 56 years...FACT.

Which trophy is that?

http://www.expressandstar.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/pa-7233958-336x449.jpg

Isn't it still the same one that was awarded to the old First Division champions (the top tier Football League championship)?

You just need to change the date on the plate to 20 years ago.

Hughton will lead us to our first significant domestic trophy for 56 years...FACT.

Which trophy is that?

http://www.expressandstar.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/pa-7233958-336x449.jpg

Isn't it still the same one that was awarded to the old First Division champions (the top tier Football League championship)?

You just need to change the date on the plate to 20 years ago.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44360000/jpg/_44360561_keegantitle_pa.jpg

Team gel and morale or not, I just can't understand why anybody would think that a team that got relegated last season, minus some of its best players, would stay up if promoted?

Not saying we will still up (in fact I have said all along we need a lot of changes) but the majority of the "better" players were shit last season and just couldn't be arsed. The only one I think we really miss is Bassong the problem was and still is the centre of midfield, I can't see us not signing any more players in the summer (I know that is a bold statement under Ashley) but if we sign a good, mobile centre mid and a decent striker I think we will be in a better position than we were when we went down.

It's also much more than just simply a case of not being good enough on the pitch last season either. You only have to look how we started the season with what seemed like some stability to see that we'd have been worth more than 1 point had we not imploded.

The same is pretty much happening with Portsmouth this year, they have some decent players and I wouldn't say they are the worst in the league, but there's a lot of other things contributing to their downfall. Unfortunately you can't just forget everything that's going on once you step onto the pitch.

Right Johnny,team morale and team gel does nothing because...

Christian Benitez 11

Lee Bowyer 4

Stephen Carr 2

Lee Carsley 26

Scott Dann 15

Colin Doyle 13

Keith Fahey 18

Barry Ferguson 12

Craig Gardner 33

Joe Hart 25

Cameron Jerome 10

Jake Jervis 32

Roger Johnson 14

Sebastian Larsson 7

James McFadden 16

Michel 17

David Murphy 3

Jordon Mutch 31

Garry O'Connor 8

Jay O'Shea 24

Stuart Parnaby 21

Kevin Phillips 9

Dan Preston 30

Franck Queudrue 20

Liam Ridgewell 6

Ashley Sammons 29

Teemu Tainio 4

Maik Taylor 1

Gregory Vignal 27

That squad which is 8th in the premier league has much better players on paper than what we had when we went down....right.

He has to go.

True, but who displaced within the existing squad? Kadar, Ryan Taylor perhaps, Pancrate and Ranger.

I have zero faith that Hughton will go out there and try to bring a central midfielder to the club that will edge Nolan out of the team.

You think we'll go down based on the assumption that we won't strengthen at CM during the transfer window, your justification for which being "you can't see it."

...Can't argue with that, I suppose.

He has to go.

You think we'll go down based on the assumption that we won't strengthen at CM during the transfer window, your justification for which being "you can't see it."

...Can't argue with that, I suppose.

Just like how we didn't sign any players this season. Like how our team is seriously unbalanced because all our attacks ae coming from the left and Hughton is settling with Pancrate as right wing and not signing another winger, just like how we didn't sign any defenders and we got absolutely screwed when Taylor and Enrique got injured.