The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not too happy with those comments tbh. Hope that doesn't mean we will see a Carling Cup team everytime we play Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and so on...  :undecided:

Chris Hughton to focus on winnable games

CHRIS Hughton has revealed Newcastle United will target specific matches to glean the points needed to still be in the Premier League 12 months from now.

The Magpies manager has studied the success of both Birmingham City and Wolverhampton Wanderers, two sides who consolidated top-flight status after promotion from the Championship in 2009.

Hughton views that as the first step towards his long-term goal of re-establishing United as European competitors.

“At Birmingham and Wolves there were additions last season, but not dramatic,” he reasoned. “They weren’t so different to the squads the season before. Both attacked it differently, Birmingham got off to the better start and Wolves finished very, very strong.

“The way to approach it is knowing where the games are where you’re more hopeful of getting results.

“We are in a division where the top eight teams are very strong and very competitive. We’re realistic enough to know the games against the top teams will be very difficult home and away.

“But we also know there’s a group of teams we’re far more hopeful of getting results from home or away.” Wolves boss

Mick McCarthy got in trouble for employing that tactic, but no one at Molineux was complaining at the end of last season.

Wolves were handed a suspended £25,000 fine for fielding a weakened team at Manchester United in December, a game they lost 3-0. Even had they been forced to pay the amount, it paled into insignificance alongside the money earned through another Premier League campaign.

The midweek trip to Manchester was sandwiched between games at Tottenham and at home to Burnley, both of them won. The 2-0 win over relegation rivals Burnley featured nine players who faced Spurs but were rested against the Red Devils.

Although Wolves comfortably escaped relegation, finishing eight points clear of the Clarets, the home win undoubtedly gave them much-needed mid-season momentum.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/07/21/chris-hughton-to-focus-on-winnable-games-61634-26895857/

Guest Electric Nun

If a players in the first team squad it should be up to the club if they choose to play em. Bleedin stupid rule.

“At Birmingham and Wolves there were additions last season, but not dramatic,” he reasoned. “They weren’t so different to the squads the season before. Both attacked it differently, Birmingham got off to the better start and Wolves finished very, very strong.

According to soccerbase, Wolves spent £11m + a couple of undeclared fees and Birmingham spent £18m + a couple of undeclared fees on 7 new players each Chris  :blush:

If a players in the first team squad it should be up to the club if they choose to play em. Bleedin stupid rule.

Doubly stupid as it only applies to the smaller clubs - Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea rest players all the time if they believe they can win a game easily.

The decision to fine Wolves was ridiculous.

Good old Gabby.  Toon army footsoldier!

Great intro!

I heard she stopped supporting us when we sacked Sir Bobby.

She stopped supporting us when it was fashionable to kick us.  Funny that.  She is a fly by night bint.

Piss off!

Guest Roger Kint

Fav Prem manager to be sacked first this season

Hardly a surprise though given our history

His soundbites re transfers (ie "right players" "value for money") are becoming very Roeder esque.

As long as he doesn't start sounding like Kinnear it's ok.

"N'Zobia... ehm... Insomnia... eh.. Charly"

His soundbites re transfers (ie "right players" "value for money") are becoming very Roeder esque.

Until he starts talking about himself in the third person and coming out with quotes like, "Well, Glenn Roeder never likes to talk about anyone elses players but if you saw Glenn Roeder at their stadium watching a game which this player was part of then Glenn Roeder may or may not have been there to watch them" he's not Glenn Roeder.

Guest Antec

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_6279816,00.html

Hughton backs Ameobi to shine

Toon manager confident in striker

Last updated: 26th July 2010  Subscribe to RSS Feed

Hughton backs Ameobi to shine

Ameobi: Backed by Hughton

Bearing in mind the sort of quality he has, I think it is virtually guaranteed he will score goals for us in the Premier League.

Chris Hughton

Quotes of the week

SKY SPORTS ON SKY

There's more live football on Sky Sports than ever before, including the Barclays Premier League, UEFA Champions League, Clydesdale Bank Premier League, England away Euro 2012 qualifiers and La Liga. With four live Sky Sports channels, as well as Sky Sports News, you'll never miss a moment on Sky. Click here for more.

Related links

Teams

* Newcastle United

Players

* Shola Ameobi

Also see

* Newcastle highlights

* Newcastle FanZone blog

* Newcastle stats

* Newcastle archive

Newcastle boss Chris Hughton believes Shola Ameobi's goalscoring prowess will play a key role in the Magpies' campaign this season.

Nigeria-born striker Ameobi helped Newcastle storm to the Championship title last term, scoring 11 goals in 21 matches before injury interrupted his season.

The 28-year-old has since regained full fitness and Hughton is confident he will make an impact for Magpies as they return to the Premier League.

"Shola is a real goalscorer," Hughton told the Daily Mirror.

"He has two great feet and he is good in the air as well. He is real quality and with his ability you know he is always going to score goals.

"He has a big part to play in our squad this season. It was only the injury that stopped him having a really big impact for us last season.

"So bearing in mind the sort of quality he has, I think it is virtually guaranteed he will score goals for us in the Premier League."

Ability

Ameobi, a product of the Magpies' youth system, found the net during their 2-1 defeat to Norwich on Saturday.

And the forward is hoping to carry that ability into the club's top flight campaign this term.

"I am not as sharp as I would want to be at this stage but that will come soon enough," said Ameobi.

"Hopefully, it's going to be a big season for me and a big season for Newcastle as well.

"If I can stay clear of injuries this time I am determined to have a big impact and to score goals.

"But when you play for a big club like Newcastle you know that you are expected to do it every game - not just occasionally."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_6279816,00.html

Newcastle boss Chris Hughton believes Shola Ameobi's goalscoring prowess will play a key role in the Magpies' campaign this season.

Nigeria-born striker Ameobi helped Newcastle storm to the Championship title last term, scoring 11 goals in 21 matches before injury interrupted his season.

The 28-year-old has since regained full fitness and Hughton is confident he will make an impact for Magpies as they return to the Premier League.

"Shola is a real goalscorer," Hughton told the Daily Mirror.

"He has two great feet and he is good in the air as well. He is real quality and with his ability you know he is always going to score goals.

"He has a big part to play in our squad this season. It was only the injury that stopped him having a really big impact for us last season.

"So bearing in mind the sort of quality he has, I think it is virtually guaranteed he will score goals for us in the Premier League."

Ability

Ameobi, a product of the Magpies' youth system, found the net during their 2-1 defeat to Norwich on Saturday.

And the forward is hoping to carry that ability into the club's top flight campaign this term.

"I am not as sharp as I would want to be at this stage but that will come soon enough," said Ameobi.

"Hopefully, it's going to be a big season for me and a big season for Newcastle as well.

"If I can stay clear of injuries this time I am determined to have a big impact and to score goals.

"But when you play for a big club like Newcastle you know that you are expected to do it every game - not just occasionally."

He's fantastic! Was, *cough*, well in the running for the number 9 shirt, honestly.  :pow:

Guest neesy111

I've never doubted shola's ability to score goals, as he's had plenty of periods where he looks good and scores goals.  but it's his attitude i'm more concerned about, and also he's a crock, he's been out for at least 3 months of a season for the last 4 or 5 seasons IIRC

I've never doubted shola's ability to score goals, as he's had plenty of periods where he looks good and scores goals.  but it's his attitude i'm more concerned about, and also he's a crock, he's been out for at least 3 months of a season for the last 4 or 5 seasons IIRC

Played through the pain with a long-term hip injury to help us out.

His attitude? Really? For all the criticisms you could throw at shola attitude wouldn't be one.

In fact, it's the only thing he's got going for him :lol: