The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think it's very sad that we're already talking of a change after what he achieved last season. I'm usually one of the first to get sick of the manager and start calling for the chop (Souness hadn't even been shown round his office before I was outside with a poorly spelled sign) but this is ridiculous.

We've just been promoted, not sure what some of you were expecting, especially when the player he was really banking on as being the difference has been assaulted and has a broken leg.

The home form hasn't been good enough but on the other hand, the away form has been better than we've seen for ages in the Premier League. Three points at Goodison and only a corrupt referee stopping us getting another three at Eastlands is more than I was expecting in the same way that getting beat off Blackpool is not what I expected.

He's learning. Give him a break ffs.

I think it's very sad that we're already talking of a change after what he achieved last season. I'm usually one of the first to get sick of the manager and start calling for the chop (Souness hadn't even been shown round his office before I was outside with a poorly spelled sign) but this is ridiculous.

We've just been promoted, not sure what some of you were expecting, especially when the player he was really banking on as being the difference has been assaulted and has a broken leg.

That's the big thing for me, as soon as he was signed expectations went up a notch or two and they have stayed there despite him being out for potentially the whole season.

That's the big thing for me, as soon as he was signed expectations went up a notch or two and they have stayed there despite him being out for potentially the whole season.

Yes... People shouldn't forget how shit we were at breaking down teams last season in the second division. Attack has been our weakest action for years, and we've only really made one big signing on that score and, as you say, he's fucked. Tried to get others, but on a groundbreakingly low transfer budget we didn't succeed.

The home form hasn't been good enough but on the other hand, the away form has been better than we've seen for ages in the Premier League. Three points at Goodison and only a corrupt referee stopping us getting another three at Eastlands is more than I was expecting in the same way that getting beat off Blackpool is not what I expected.

Whilst I completely agree with you personally, again I don't think it's anyone particularly on here for example who wants him out. All we're doing is trying to second guess Ashley and his cronies and reflecting on the media rumours and Calderwood leaving. I don't think he'll be sacked but some people do. Doesn't mean they agree with it.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I like Hughton and think he has done a great job

Do i think he's out of his depth? Yes

Do i think he will keep us up? Not sure

Would i like someone like Martin Jol in if we had the chance to get him? Yes

Would he have been harshly treated if he were to go? Yes

Do we sit back and see where he can get us by Xmas. I think there are too many points at stake for this. Xmas is too late and now is too early

Unsure!

I like Hughton and think he has done a great job

Do i think he's out of his depth? Yes

Do i think he will keep us up? Not sure

Would i like someone like Martin Jol in if we had the chance to get him? Yes

Would he have been harshly treated if he were to go? Yes

Do we sit back and see where he can get us by Xmas. I think there are too many points at stake for this. Xmas is too late and now is too early

Unsure!

perfectly summed up.

We've competed well in most games imo - Stoke & Wigan are the 2 games that stick out as really bad performances. We battered Blackpool 2nd half & created loads of chances. We lack some quality in the final third, and after the poor support financially (would an extra 5-10m really have put us ininanical danger mike?) Hughton got in the transfer window it was always going to be a tough battle over the course of the season.

I agree. Not sure why the team isn't performing as well at home but the encouraging thing is that if we can beat the likes of everton and man city away then we can certainly compete at home with them too. Just hope the points dropped so far doesn't get us into a rut at home.

Guest neesy111

I don't think he's the right man, but I don't want him out yet.  The next 2-3 weeks are crucial to himself and to our season as well.

Though he isn't helping himself with his picking of Perch and how he's useless at using tactics/subs during games when were struggling.

Guest Heneage

Hughton's the first manager I've actually liked in years, I'd not even think about sacking him, he's got a lot of good signings during his 18 months and gave us a sense of stability.

Hughton's the first manager I've actually liked in years, I'd not even think about sacking him, he's got a lot of good signings during his 18 months and gave us a sense of stability.

This.

Most sense I have read on this forum in a long time.People got to think If Hughton gets sacked who the hell would take the job under Ashley?Feel sick just thinking about it.The next 2 games are so vital though,gotta avoid defeat in both.

I don't think he's the right man, but I don't want him out yet.  The next 2-3 weeks are crucial to himself and to our season as well.

Though he isn't helping himself with his picking of Perch and how he's useless at using tactics/subs during games when were struggling.

My thoughts, basically.

I feel much the same way towards him - he's the most affable manager we've had in eons and seems to command respect of the majority of fans and players. Wouldn't want to see him go either, but if we look like we're in danger of dropping again because of his tactical errors or inability to inspire home victories against lesser sides, then his likeability or the fact he has pulled off some good signings isn't going to be enough to keep him in the job, is it?

There has been some varied comments on here and some have been mind-boggling - I cannot believe people are actually judging a manager by whether they 'like' him or whether he's affable....Clough was neither of those things but every NUFC fan I knew back in the 70s would have walked over broken glass to have him and Peter Taylor at SJP...the bloody FA didn't give Clough the England job despite him being the best manager in the country - they gave it to Ron Greenwood because, in their words, he was a 'very nice chap !'....

We want a manager that gets the team to win matches(esp at home) and KEEP NUFC IN THE PL...nothing more, nothing less. I couldn't care less if Hughton walks down Northumberland St with a daffodil up his rear end PROVIDED the team get results...and they are NOT getting sufficient good results.

Yes, he had bad luck with HBA and with Keane deciding to stay at Spurs, but as Napoleon said, 'give me a lucky general as well as a skilled one' and without SOME luck you can work your g---lies off but get nowhere.

Hughton did a good job in the CCC and got the club back to where it should be but he has been found wanting with team selections and, in my opinion, too much faith in certain players...he has got too close to SOME players and no manager can do that if he wants to keep his job.

Whatever people think of O'Neill, he has ALWAYS improved a team in his first few years there - and that is what we need now - a few years of stability in the PL. We do NOT need to go back to the CCC because we might be down there for years next time....

Unfortunately, MON is highly unlikely to work for Ashley, or even be asked to do so and if Hughton WAS to be asked to step down, I think that Jol would be higher on Ashley's list than MON because he is unlikely to demand as much transfer kitty in Jan. Nevertheless, I believe that MON WOULD get better results from this current side than we are seeing now because he is a great motivator and I don't believe Hughton has that quality.

Its a game of opinions but in the end, results count - I have little sympathy for football managers because they usually get a big pay-off when they get sacked for failure...does anyone else on this forum have that benefit ?

I expected bugger all transfer funds from the fat man but as I said at the end of the transfer window I thought he had at least given Hughton a fighting chance. The signings were cheap and freebies but in Ben Arfa I had hope. We had signed a classy player, a matchwinner with pace, flair and creativity - everything we needed.

Ben Arfa's injury is as serious as Arsenal losing Fabregas to a broken leg or Liverpool losing Gerrard. If anything I'd say it's worse when you consider the options we're left with up front. Carroll, Ameobi, Xisco, Lovenkrands, Best.... are these feared Premier League strikers? Apart from Carroll, you'd struggle to find a Premiership buyer for any of them.

Ben Arfa aside, Hughton has had almost f*ck all to work with to build a team better than the one that got relegated. He had to build a team with determination and teamwork and he's done that. In the transfer market, he's been pretty shrewd if you ask me. When you consider Tiote and Williamson's pricetags they are excellent deals and so was Ben Arfa. He hasn't done much wrong in that regard.

The criticism of him is his tactics and I'd agree with some of that. But I still struggle to see who we will attract with Ashley in control - everyone knows there's no transfer kitty and everyone knows he undermined Keegan. Any manager will look at that and look at the injury to Ben Arfa and ask himself if he really wants to take that on.

If someone like O'Neill came along we'd be mad to turn him down but I don't see a stampede of top managers battering down our door. I believe we could do a lot WORSE than Hughton, and anyone who disagrees should think back to some of the managers we have had in recent years. Souness who spunked 50m on Owen, Emre, Boumsong, Luque et al? Roeder?! Kinnear?! With the current squad I think any manager would struggle and that's what we're in for - a struggle. There's no money to spend and no new manager is going to turn Ameobi into Drogba or Routledge into Malouda.

We shouldn't be losing to Blackpool and Stoke at home and Hughton must take the blame for that. But talk of him losing his job is way way premature. Besides I simply don't trust Fat Ash to employ someone better.

Guest lebowski

You could say Roeder deserved better as well, doesn't mean to say that it will happen. Frankly these stories in the media re HUghton being saved a sacking by Colo's goal just don't have any credibility. I seriously don't think Ashley will sack Hughton (yet), for a start it will cost him money (and to get a new manager in). It would be probably more cost effective to buy a striker in the January window. We don't know what Ashley's intentions are with Newcastle, but I get the feeling he wasn't especially bothered about being in the Championship (once he got over the shock of the effect that had on the balance sheet). Every bit of business he has done since we went down is in line with a team that doesn't necessarily expect to stay in the premiership. I think it is ultimately prudent but I don't think he is going to get overly concerned about results just yet.

You could say Roeder deserved better as well, doesn't mean to say that it will happen. Frankly these stories in the media re HUghton being saved a sacking by Colo's goal just don't have any credibility. I seriously don't think Ashley will sack Hughton (yet), for a start it will cost him money (and to get a new manager in). It would be probably more cost effective to buy a striker in the January window. We don't know what Ashley's intentions are with Newcastle, but I get the feeling he wasn't especially bothered about being in the Championship (once he got over the shock of the effect that had on the balance sheet). Every bit of business he has done since we went down is in line with a team that doesn't necessarily expect to stay in the premiership. I think it is ultimately prudent but I don't think he is going to get overly concerned about results just yet.

It won't cost him that much money to get rid of Hughton, he only has a contract until the summer and i can't imagine it's  a massive contract either.

Roeder was a nice man, Dinnis was a nice man and even Ardiles was a nice man but none of them got the results required.

I like Hughton, have a lot of time for him and don't really want to see a managerial change but sometimes there comes a point when a decision has to be made and this past 7 days has been as big a test as anything with Carroll being a numpty off the pitch and also rumours of a fall out between Nolan and Hughton and murmurings of Hughton having "lost" the dressing room to indiscipline.

No one gives a toss if the players are out on the lash when the team is winning, different story when they aren't.

Oh aye, and Ashley won't appoint a manager where he has to pay compensation, if he removes Hughton he will appoint someone who's currently on the nash.

I really don't think the Hughton compo thing would be an issue tbh. Bet you're looking at a 6-figure sum which is fuck all when compared to what we've paid out in the past and to what other managers would cost to replace. I'd imagine only Holloway would be on less and the fact he's only got about 8 months on his contract would make it easy to sack him. Don't think the thought has even crossed Ashley's mind yet though. 

I expected bugger all transfer funds from the fat man but as I said at the end of the transfer window I thought he had at least given Hughton a fighting chance. The signings were cheap and freebies but in Ben Arfa I had hope. We had signed a classy player, a matchwinner with pace, flair and creativity - everything we needed.

Ben Arfa's injury is as serious as Arsenal losing Fabregas to a broken leg or Liverpool losing Gerrard. If anything I'd say it's worse when you consider the options we're left with up front. Carroll, Ameobi, Xisco, Lovenkrands, Best.... are these feared Premier League strikers? Apart from Carroll, you'd struggle to find a Premiership buyer for any of them.

Ben Arfa aside, Hughton has had almost f*ck all to work with to build a team better than the one that got relegated. He had to build a team with determination and teamwork and he's done that. In the transfer market, he's been pretty shrewd if you ask me. When you consider Tiote and Williamson's pricetags they are excellent deals and so was Ben Arfa. He hasn't done much wrong in that regard.

The criticism of him is his tactics and I'd agree with some of that. But I still struggle to see who we will attract with Ashley in control - everyone knows there's no transfer kitty and everyone knows he undermined Keegan. Any manager will look at that and look at the injury to Ben Arfa and ask himself if he really wants to take that on.

If someone like O'Neill came along we'd be mad to turn him down but I don't see a stampede of top managers battering down our door. I believe we could do a lot WORSE than Hughton, and anyone who disagrees should think back to some of the managers we have had in recent years. Souness who spunked 50m on Owen, Emre, Boumsong, Luque et al? Roeder?! Kinnear?! With the current squad I think any manager would struggle and that's what we're in for - a struggle. There's no money to spend and no new manager is going to turn Ameobi into Drogba or Routledge into Malouda.

We shouldn't be losing to Blackpool and Stoke at home and Hughton must take the blame for that. But talk of him losing his job is way way premature. Besides I simply don't trust Fat Ash to employ someone better.

Mint post!

I agree Hughton hasn't been perfect, and I don't always agree with his tactics/selection.

But what he's done with the squad he has to work with is very impressive IMO. Ben Arfa would have had us finishing upper-mid table... it's a massive blow to lose him and we have to revise our expectations.

hughton's a strange one, clearly doesn't appear to have a fucking clue how to play at home but conversely has us getting great results away (or at least not getting raped everywhere we go)

he's like an anti-keegan or something

you can only excuse our home form so long though, you'd have to be very, VERY short-sighted to stick with Hughton unless we start winning home games fast...teams do not stay up on away form alone, it simply doesn't happen

Guest Stephen927

Eventually we have to strike a balance between "he's a nice guy, inexperienced, give him time, steadily building.." and "he just isn't good enough". But thats a long way away yet. Certainly shouldn't be discussing it this soon into the season, the last thing we need is to get the managerial merry-go-round set into motion.