The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The thing is if we're struggling in Dec, MA will sack Ashley and then we can start worrying about the replacement. I don't think MA wants another relegation, it's just that last time he didn't honestly understand the PL that well and probably couldn't imagine us going down till it was too late. We might not have invested that much in the summer, but the transfers/loans were good and better than I expected, things are moving back in the right direction reg the squad.

The thing is if we're struggling in Dec, MA will sack Ashley and then we can start worrying about the replacement. I don't think MA wants another relegation, it's just that last time he didn't honestly understand the PL that well and probably couldn't imagine us going down till it was too late. We might not have invested that much in the summer, but the transfers/loans were good and better than I expected, things are moving back in the right direction reg the squad.

Ah aye, I'm sure that one will work out fantastically well like. Jesus christ.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Shola has to play full-stop.

Never thought I'd hear this in my lifetime

What position is the full-stop?

The home form has got me scared shitless.

With the players we've got, there's no wonder we're better away from home. Pack the midfield with a bunch of terriers, stifle the opposition, pop up with a fleeting attack. We're not blessed with great footballers in the middle of the park, but there's bags of stamina there - and that suits the away game. Fortunately, we've been taking our chances away from SJP n'all - which is a nice change. That could change any minute, given our lack of firepower, but we're doing okay so far. Bollocks refereeing aside, it was only a touch of genuine quality that saw us get beat at Man City... that'll just happen at them places. We played well as a team and it'll probably continue if we play the same system.

It's just another kettle of fish at home, though - the system just won't work. It's not a set-up that'll probe and press in this league - we don't have anything like the flair or attacking prowess. Hughton's made some gash decisions with regards to substitutions... but simply being a well-drilled bunch of battlers (can't knock anyone's attitude) isn't enough to take teams apart on our own turf. Revert to 4-4-2, absolutely, but then you're left with limited players to fill the void - ie Lovenkrands.

The quality in the squad, from an attacking point of view, is rubbish - and that's why we're not winning games at home. Hughton's mad bad decisions here and there, but it's merely emphasised by the fact he's got s***-all to work with. If we go down, it'll be primarily down to Mike Ashley and Nigel De Jong, not Hughton. The last thing i would do is sack the guy. Last thing.

It is NOT the last thing anyone should do to sack the manager...where do you think NUFC would have finished up in 1992 if they had continued with Ardiles instead of bringing KK in ? They would have ended up

in Div 3. that's where..we CANNOT afford relegation again.

There is no purpose in firing the manager if you can't get someone better - but if you can, then you should - not only that, but as a director/owner, it is your DUTY to do just that.

You are living in fantasy land - if Hughton cannot be replaced by a better manager, then he should stay ; if he gets the club relegated, then we might all as well go home because the message is that nobody better will take on the job. That also applies if Ashley intends to stay as owner and not invest, even if a new guy was appointed. Yes, Hughton has had his hands tied on transfers but those were the terms on which he accepted the job ; failure to win crucial home games against potential fellow strugglers will get him the sack...end of story.

is sacking a manager a handful of games into the season bad timing though

If you're top of the league and playing well, yes. If you're bottom of the league and playing s***, no.

we're somewhere in the middle at the moment

changes of manager should be made in the summer though, to give him plenty of time to plan the way ahead.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

What position is the full-stop?

Its like a backstop in rounders, he stands behind the goal and gets it when it goes out

Aw, he'll be mint at that - GET IN SHOLA! :clap2:

Harsh but true. We're not going to create many chances at home, and those that we do create - they're going to need to be finished. Shola's the best man for the job. His substitution at the weekend was impeccable timing; something that seems to have been ignored in the aftermath of the result...

Half the reason we went down was the sodding managerial merry go round. It would have to be a hell of a reason to dismiss Hughton and go through that again.

If the players stopped trying and started engineering moves away then I'll start worrying, but until that unlikely scenario happens, and I can't believe it needs saying, we really need to get a grip and stick with a manager for once.

During this very tough time (most of which has been due to factors well out of his control) he has my full and absolute support.

Agreed. It's imperative that the club stick with him, unless we really are in absolute dire straits. The squad is that of relegation candidates... i know i said it earlier, but we have to accept that Hughton's a rookie doing a decent job - he is going to make mistakes. Those mistakes are amplified by the fact he wasn't allowed to strengthen significantly.

Agreed. It's imperative that the club stick with him, unless we really are in absolute dire straits. The squad is that of relegation candidates... i know i said it earlier, but we have to accept that Hughton's a rookie doing a decent job - he is going to make mistakes. Those mistakes are amplified by the fact he wasn't allowed to strengthen significantly.

There's no getting away from the fact that he is doing a decent job, but survival may require other things going our way.

Half the reason we went down was the sodding managerial merry go round. It would have to be a hell of a reason to dismiss Hughton and go through that again.

If the players stopped trying and started engineering moves away then I'll start worrying, but until that unlikely scenario happens, and I can't believe it needs saying, we really need to get a grip and stick with a manager for once.

During this very tough time (most of which has been due to factors well out of his control) he has my full and absolute support.

This.

The home form has got me scared shitless.

With the players we've got, there's no wonder we're better away from home. Pack the midfield with a bunch of terriers, stifle the opposition, pop up with a fleeting attack. We're not blessed with great footballers in the middle of the park, but there's bags of stamina there - and that suits the away game. Fortunately, we've been taking our chances away from SJP n'all - which is a nice change. That could change any minute, given our lack of firepower, but we're doing okay so far. Bollocks refereeing aside, it was only a touch of genuine quality that saw us get beat at Man City... that'll just happen at them places. We played well as a team and it'll probably continue if we play the same system.

It's just another kettle of fish at home, though - the system just won't work. It's not a set-up that'll probe and press in this league - we don't have anything like the flair or attacking prowess. Hughton's made some gash decisions with regards to substitutions... but simply being a well-drilled bunch of battlers (can't knock anyone's attitude) isn't enough to take teams apart on our own turf. Revert to 4-4-2, absolutely, but then you're left with limited players to fill the void - ie Lovenkrands.

The quality in the squad, from an attacking point of view, is rubbish - and that's why we're not winning games at home. Hughton's mad bad decisions here and there, but it's merely emphasised by the fact he's got s***-all to work with. If we go down, it'll be primarily down to Mike Ashley and Nigel De Jong, not Hughton. The last thing i would do is sack the guy. Last thing.

Whilst I agree with parts of what you're saying, that's absolute madness.

If Hughton gets the praise when the team does well, people need to understand that he'll get criticism when they do badly - especially when the reason we failed to beat Stoke and Wigan were because of mistakes on the coaching team's part.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

If Hughton had been given money to spend, the mistakes he makes wouldn't be as critical.

How much money do you think the club have to give? What would you consider reasonable? We spent more than anyone could have imagined in the Summer.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

More than anyone could have imagined? We spent about £4.5m, man.

£4.5m more than anyone imagined... man. Christ, it was only 3 months ago that people were saying they were very happy with the signings, if not surprised we had money to spend.