The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If Hughton wasn't happy with the amount given and the signings he made, he would have walked away.

He's still here which tells me he's happy with the team and thinks it is strong enough - therefore he's responsible for them.

Guest neesy111

The fact is, we have 2 real options for surviving if things go tit's up before January it's Spend in January or change manager.  The fact is we need to give ourself a fighting chance of staying up before it's too late.  Hence why I say the next 2 weeks are the most important in Hughton's managerial career and that of our own season.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The fact is, we have 2 real options for surviving if things go tit's up before January it's Spend in January or change manager.  The fact is we need to give ourself a fighting chance of staying up before it's too late.  Hence why I say the next 2 weeks are the most important in Hughton's managerial career and that of our own season.

Aww, ho'way, its crap like this that give the paper's what little energy they need to sprout on about us being a bunch of mongs. Just have faith and believe, we're questioning Hughton after the papers started all (off the back of two or three mongs at SJP chanting for him to be sacked).

Chris Hughton is doing a good job, he has his faults, as any manager does, but he's no worse than what will come in if sacked.

Guest neesy111

Aww, ho'way, its crap like this that give the paper's what little energy they need to sprout on about us being a bunch of mongs. Just have faith and believe, we're questioning Hughton after the papers started all (off the back of two or three mongs at SJP chanting for him to be sacked).

Chris Hughton is doing a good job, he has his faults, as any manager does, but he's no worse than what will come in if sacked.

I think you'll find most football fan's to be like that.  So how about if were bottom at Xmas, do we still give him another 3 months to sort it out then?

The home form has got me scared shitless.

With the players we've got, there's no wonder we're better away from home. Pack the midfield with a bunch of terriers, stifle the opposition, pop up with a fleeting attack. We're not blessed with great footballers in the middle of the park, but there's bags of stamina there - and that suits the away game. Fortunately, we've been taking our chances away from SJP n'all - which is a nice change. That could change any minute, given our lack of firepower, but we're doing okay so far. Bollocks refereeing aside, it was only a touch of genuine quality that saw us get beat at Man City... that'll just happen at them places. We played well as a team and it'll probably continue if we play the same system.

It's just another kettle of fish at home, though - the system just won't work. It's not a set-up that'll probe and press in this league - we don't have anything like the flair or attacking prowess. Hughton's made some gash decisions with regards to substitutions... but simply being a well-drilled bunch of battlers (can't knock anyone's attitude) isn't enough to take teams apart on our own turf. Revert to 4-4-2, absolutely, but then you're left with limited players to fill the void - ie Lovenkrands.

The quality in the squad, from an attacking point of view, is rubbish - and that's why we're not winning games at home. Hughton's mad bad decisions here and there, but it's merely emphasised by the fact he's got s***-all to work with. If we go down, it'll be primarily down to Mike Ashley and Nigel De Jong, not Hughton. The last thing i would do is sack the guy. Last thing.

Whilst I agree with parts of what you're saying, that's absolute madness.

If Hughton gets the praise when the team does well, people need to understand that he'll get criticism when they do badly - especially when the reason we failed to beat Stoke and Wigan were because of mistakes on the coaching team's part.

Spot on Jonny.  Seems it doesn't work like that though.

Hughton should just combine Shola and Carroll at home and hope the physical presence they offer can unsettle sides. In this league we don't really have the quality to play any other way.

People are questioning Hughton after one win in the last six games - not saying we should be talking about him being sacked, but it's not as if we're having a fantastic start to the season.

You can't possibly say it was his mistakes alone. The players aren't robots.

I'm not saying it was completely his fault, but some people are making him immune from criticism. All I'm saying is it has to work both ways.

Half of this thread has been:

Win - "Hughton is mint!!! In your face doubters!"

Lose/Poor draw - "It's not Hughton's fault! No spending, players are crap, referee etc. etc."

That's an incredibly biased way to look at things.

The home form has got me scared shitless.

With the players we've got, there's no wonder we're better away from home. Pack the midfield with a bunch of terriers, stifle the opposition, pop up with a fleeting attack. We're not blessed with great footballers in the middle of the park, but there's bags of stamina there - and that suits the away game. Fortunately, we've been taking our chances away from SJP n'all - which is a nice change. That could change any minute, given our lack of firepower, but we're doing okay so far. Bollocks refereeing aside, it was only a touch of genuine quality that saw us get beat at Man City... that'll just happen at them places. We played well as a team and it'll probably continue if we play the same system.

It's just another kettle of fish at home, though - the system just won't work. It's not a set-up that'll probe and press in this league - we don't have anything like the flair or attacking prowess. Hughton's made some gash decisions with regards to substitutions... but simply being a well-drilled bunch of battlers (can't knock anyone's attitude) isn't enough to take teams apart on our own turf. Revert to 4-4-2, absolutely, but then you're left with limited players to fill the void - ie Lovenkrands.

The quality in the squad, from an attacking point of view, is rubbish - and that's why we're not winning games at home. Hughton's mad bad decisions here and there, but it's merely emphasised by the fact he's got s***-all to work with. If we go down, it'll be primarily down to Mike Ashley and Nigel De Jong, not Hughton. The last thing i would do is sack the guy. Last thing.

Whilst I agree with parts of what you're saying, that's absolute madness.

If Hughton gets the praise when the team does well, people need to understand that he'll get criticism when they do badly - especially when the reason we failed to beat Stoke and Wigan were because of mistakes on the coaching team's part.

Hyperbole... especially re: Wigan. The players have to take some responsibility.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I think you'll find most football fan's to be like that.  So how about if were bottom at Xmas, do we still give him another 3 months to sort it out then?

I personally would, as we've all seen over the years what a constant changing in management does. The only time I'd consider a change in management is if it was clearly obvious that he had lost respect with the squad and they just weren't motivated to play for him. If we were just bottom due to one or two bad results, then I'll have to stick with him to allow him and the team to get us out of it.

Unless of course we were bottom by 20 points.  :fishing:

I don't think he did, did he?

I don't think he did, did he?

Yeah, didn't think he did. :)

I'm not saying it was completely his fault, but some people are making him immune from criticism. All I'm saying is it has to work both ways.

Lose/Poor draw - "It's not Hughton's fault! No spending, players are crap, referee etc. etc."

Agree with that like. But you did say in that post that his mistakes were 'the reason'. :lol:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

People are questioning Hughton after one win in the last six games - not saying we should be talking about him being sacked, but it's not as if we're having a fantastic start to the season.

What sort of start were you expecting? We're not bottom of the league (even though the table is pretty packed at the moment), we're not lagging behind the rest of the pack. I don't know, I'm sure people would have been happy with this before the season started, but now it has, it seems expectations are rising with each game. We should beat this team, that team, etc - we're a newly promoted team.

OK, so we're Newcastle United, but we're shit now. Have been for a while. Yes, other teams around us are just as bad and seem to be winning games, but I don't think their opposition see them in the same light as they see us. Other teams still consider us Premiership Standard and play against us as such, where as your Wigans, West Broms and Blackpools are under estimated and they make teams pay for it.

I don't know, just find this all odd and typical of the Toon.

I was expecting it to be hard season and I still am. If we're in a relegation battle at the end of it all, I won't be surprised and I won't blame Hughton - he has what he has to work with and its not the greatest of tools. Players around him aren't really helping either.

Without a doubt though Hughton has areas of his management game he needs to improve on, or get another coach in to help with - namely his sub timings and ability to sway the game from the sideline, which are two important areas for a Manager. I'd still stick with him though, if only through fear of the unknown as to what would replace him.

Agree with that like. But you did say in that post that his mistakes were 'the reason'. :lol:

Sorry, I thought you were saying I was saying the entire season so far is Hughton's fault, not those two games.

The overriding reason I think we lost to Stoke and Wigan were because of decisions on the coaching staff's part.

Substitutions at the wrong times and tactical changes in the second half cost us the Stoke game IMO - we backed off and tried to contain them and they took advantage. When it was clear it wasn't working, we waited until they'd equalised to change things - way too late.

As for the Wigan game, we had an extremely poor and exposed right hand side. Perch is way below the standard of a Premier League defender atm and to leave him with noone in front of him was enhancing the problem ten-fold. If we'd started with a R.Taylor - Routledge right hand side, I don't think we'd have fallen 2-0 behind.

The fact is, we have 2 real options for surviving if things go tit's up before January it's Spend in January or change manager. The fact is we need to give ourself a fighting chance of staying up before it's too late. Hence why I say the next 2 weeks are the most important in Hughton's managerial career and that of our own season.

What sort of start were you expecting? We're not bottom of the league (even though the table is pretty packed at the moment), we're not lagging behind the rest of the pack. I don't know, I'm sure people would have been happy with this before the season started, but now it has, it seems expectations are rising with each game. We should beat this team, that team, etc - we're a newly promoted team.

OK, so we're Newcastle United, but we're s*** now. Have been for a while. Yes, other teams around us are just as bad and seem to be winning games, but I don't think their opposition see them in the same light as they see us. Other teams still consider us Premiership Standard and play against us as such, where as your Wigans, West Broms and Blackpools are under estimated and they make teams pay for it.

I don't know, just find this all odd and typical of the Toon.

I was expecting it to be hard season and I still am. If we're in a relegation battle at the end of it all, I won't be surprised and I won't blame Hughton - he has what he has to work with and its not the greatest of tools. Players around him aren't really helping either.

Without a doubt though Hughton has areas of his management game he needs to improve on, or get another coach in to help with - namely his sub timings and ability to sway the game from the sideline, which are two important areas for a Manager. I'd still stick with him though, if only through fear of the unknown as to what would replace him.

I'm extremely happy with where we are atm (I've made no secret of the fact that I think anything higher than 17th is a bonus), but when you don't win the games that you should, then it doesn't bode well for the rest of the season - I'm not expecting our good fortune away from home to continue, which means we need our home form to be good to stay up.

This may sound mad, but I'll be honest now and say if we were sat here with exactly the same points, but with wins against Blackpool and Stoke instead of Everton and Villa, I wouldn't be arguing this point.

Hughton should just combine Shola and Carroll at home and hope the physical presence they offer can unsettle sides. In this league we don't really have the quality to play any other way.

Yep.

Surely we should be playing Best at home now he has nearly returned?  :pow:

I actually agree. Wouldn't have said so at the start of the season, but the way it's gong now it's our best option.

Get somebody who can cross a ball in January aswell.

Yep.

:sadnod: