The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Hughton should just combine Shola and Carroll at home and hope the physical presence they offer can unsettle sides. In this league we don't really have the quality to play any other way.

I actually agree. Wouldn't have said so at the start of the season, but the way it's gong now it's our best option.

Get somebody who can cross a ball in January aswell.

Seeing how awkward the Mackem's keeper was yesterday, if we don't do this (obviously not buying someone in Jan) against them I'll be really dumbfounded.

If he did, then we'd carry a fair old threat from a corner. If only we had someone who could cross a ball.....

We have a really short 1st team at the moment. Only really Carroll and Williamson to aim for. Colo and Nolan seem to win knock downs.

Hyperbole... especially re: Wigan. The players have to take some responsibility.

The players have to take some responsibility but our biggest problem was the massive gap on our right which was caused by playing a central midfielder in that position who has rarely played well on the wing and is a serial failure in that position.  Hughton made at least one change which wasn't needed and that was as responsible for the way that we played as anything else.  We went for a 4-4-2 for the first time this season and removed one of the wingers who should have been supplying the two up front.

The two worst players on the pitch were Hughton signings so he can't blame past managers either.

With Ben Arfa on board we could had played 4-5-1 but without him we're a grim uncreative side. Direct style needed and just get crosses in as often as can for two players who have little guile but will make defenders panic with their height and power. For that reason I'd also have Ryan Taylor back in (never thought I'd say that) for either Perch or the desperately disappointing Routledge.

With Ben Arfa on board we could had played 4-5-1 but without him we're a grim uncreative side. Direct style needed and just get crosses in as often as can for two players who have little guile but will make defenders panic with their height and power. For that reason I'd also have Ryan Taylor back in (never thought I'd say that) for either Perch or the desperately disappointing Routledge.

Yeah, cause dropping him on Saturday worked wonders...

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Is the football now any worse than the football we rebelled against under Big Fat Sam? At times I fail to see the difference - same static, long all unflowing crap we had under Big Sam. Though its more acceptable now considering where we are and what has happened - been a LONG time since we had any real decent football at SJP.

Is the football now any worse than the football we rebelled against under Big Fat Sam? At times I fail to see the difference - same static, long all unflowing crap we had under Big Sam. Though its more acceptable now considering where we are and what has happened - been a LONG time since we had any real decent football at SJP.

dont agree entirely while we tend to hoof it we do actually try and play a bit of football now and then , plus fat sam is a despicable human being

Expectations were a lot higher back then. Big Sam was able to spend over £15 mil to try and create a decent footballing side.

The football we are playing at the minute is slightly easier on the eye imo. Would imagine our possession stats are markedly better then they would have been then, could be wrong like.

Routledge will come back. He needs to focus on working the channels more as opposed to hugging the touchline. Usually there's nobody waiting for that cross so he hesitates and gives himself an extra man to beat. Thought he was very good against Wolves and Everton.

I think he did okay at Everton, didn't see the Wolves game but he just seems to have no confidence taking players on at this level.

I'm not witch hunting here but Routledge had no influence on either of our goals that I can recall. He didn't change the game, Shola did. That and Wigan settling for what they had to their ultimate cost.

Routledge has been awful all year, quite rightly dropped on Saturday but should have been for Taylor and not Guthrie.

Routledge has offered width which spreads the game right across the pitch, and while he blows hot and cold he's a lot better than Ryan Taylor.  Routledge produced 7 assists for us last season and that is more than Ryan Taylor has ever produced in any full season.

I'm not witch hunting here but Routledge had no influence on either of our goals that I can recall. He didn't change the game, Shola did. That and Wigan settling for what they had to their ultimate cost.

Routledge had an influence in as much as we started using the right as an outlet and as a means of stretching the game over the full width of the pitch instead of us using two thirds of it.

If Hughton gets the praise when the team does well, people need to understand that he'll get criticism when they do badly - especially when the reason we failed to beat Stoke and Wigan were because of mistakes on the coaching team's part.

Spot on Jonny.  Seems it doesn't work like that though.

What if you take the view that most of the club is set up for failure and anything better which seems to stem from him which is better than that can be considered virtually supererogatory?

This 'balanced, sensible' view that some people seem to have that victory should bring praise and defeat should bring criticism and pressure is dumb to reality. It doesn't take into account the context of any of the events under analysis and it doesn't help achieve what we presumably actually want which is ultimate success.

If Hughton gets the praise when the team does well, people need to understand that he'll get criticism when they do badly - especially when the reason we failed to beat Stoke and Wigan were because of mistakes on the coaching team's part.

What if you take the view that most of the club is set up for failure and anything better which seems to stem from him which is better than that can be considered virtually supererogatory?

This 'balanced, sensible' view that some people seem to have that victory should bring praise and defeat should bring criticism and pressure is dumb to reality. It doesn't take into account the context of any of the events under analysis and it doesn't help achieve what we presumably actually want which is ultimate success.

I think it's more that people at one end of the scale think he shouldn't be criticised or held accountable at all tbh.

Expectations were a lot higher back then. Big Sam was able to spend over £15 mil to try and create a decent footballing side.

The football we are playing at the minute is slightly easier on the eye imo. Would imagine our possession stats are markedly better then they would have been then, could be wrong like.

i don't recall that ever being on the agenda personally, we always knew it'd be shit under fatsam i guess with a little more money you just expected slightly better shit

never a hope in hell he'd create a footballing side

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I thought Routledge did well at Villa, Wolves and Everton (To an extent even the Man Utd) game. He just needs some confidence, doesn't seem to want to take on his man.

I think it's more that people at one end of the scale think he shouldn't be criticised or held accountable at all tbh.

Who?

I want to see Routledge given another chance and would love to see him come good because I really like him. Don't think the system we've been playing suits him, in the first few games he often get to the byline and have nobody waiting for the cross as Carroll had dropped deep. Suits him much better with two up.

Who?

Anyone saying he shouldn't be under pressure tbh, of which there are quite a few. :thup:

The nature of the job he is paid for means if things aren't going well, he should be under pressure.  At home we've had three very poor results on the bounce against three of the poorest sides in the division, that definately deserves criticism.

He therefore deserves to be under pressure.  Not to the extent of wanting him sacked mind.